Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

smith & wesson m&p

treefarmer

I am considering a smith & wesson m&p compact for ccw. Anybody use one , how easy is it to conceal. What do you like about it, any dislikes? Thanks TF

I don't own a Compact, but have enough experience with them to know they're easy to conceal. They almost exactly split the difference between a Glock 19/23 and 26/27...either of which isn't hard to conceal. I could almost manage one on an ankle holster, but not being a big guy, it might be a stretch. R,

Thanks for all the info. shooters! I have been checking out S&W'S web site, other than the sights , which is the only difference i can see, how do the 9 pro and the 9L compare? Thanks TF

Edited by treefarmer

The pro has some trigger work done, the 9L has a slightly different slide profile. For competition, where you would have a trigger job done on it anyway, the 9L would be the one I would buy.

I carry a 9C everyday. I forget it's there. I can't carry into work, I had to walk back out to the car to drop it off because I forgot I had it on. I carry in a MS watch six. Best IWB holster I've ever owned. It's for a G32 and fits the M&P compact perfectly. I can't recomend them enough for carry. For a lot of sit down time I use the short base pad, for normal daily activities, I swap for the finger extended base pad. I have loaded mags everywhere so I just change mags to change the carry profile.

The pro has some trigger work done, the 9L has a slightly different slide profile. For competition, where you would have a trigger job done on it anyway, the 9L would be the one I would buy.

I carry a 9C everyday. I forget it's there. I can't carry into work, I had to walk back out to the car to drop it off because I forgot I had it on. I carry in a MS watch six. Best IWB holster I've ever owned. It's for a G32 and fits the M&P compact perfectly. I can't recomend them enough for carry. For a lot of sit down time I use the short base pad, for normal daily activities, I swap for the finger extended base pad. I have loaded mags everywhere so I just change mags to change the carry profile.

want2race Looking over s&w's website they have several variations. what is the stock # of yours? Too many choices too little money :rolleyes:

206304. I went with the thumb safety model compact. Mainly because I shoot 1911/2011's and I didn't want to get lazy and forget about the safety. Plus, my carry guns aren't always in holsters. I don't rely on it, but the thumb safety physically blocks the sear from lowering and it simply cannot fire with the safety on. I would still carry an M&P without a thumb safety too but I like having it. There are other safeties on the guns but I just wanted the lever on it.

There was a store in Elizabethtown, KY that was blowing out 40C's for $375 or so. I see used ones go for over $500 all the time which blows me away, you can find them new for $450 easily. I got mine from JetGuns during the S&W $50 rebate offer.

I switched from a G26 to a 9c for my daily CCW. The 9c has the APEX DCAEK, RAM and FRE. I'm putting a Delta Point on it this week instead of tritium sights.

I use a Crossbreed QwikClip IWB. It's very concealable at 3 to 4 o'clock.

I switched from a G26 to a 9c for my daily CCW. The 9c has the APEX DCAEK, RAM and FRE. I'm putting a Delta Point on it this week instead of tritium sights.

are you milling the slide for the delta point or will you be using a mount that installs inthe rear dovetail? either way, would be very keen to see pictures, can you post a pic or two once you have the sight installed?

are you milling the slide for the delta point or will you be using a mount that installs inthe rear dovetail? either way, would be very keen to see pictures, can you post a pic or two once you have the sight installed?

Using the rear dovetail.

Pics when I get my camera back in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry the MP45c. I tried a few compact .45s at the club including a Sig and a Glock and much prefer the feel and operation of the M&P over the other choices I had. I've used it in a number of IDPA matches also, and it did its job. I find it to be a 'perfect' balance of size, weight, capacity and caliber.

I built an IWB holster patterned pretty much after the CompTac. I find it's quite concealable wearing just a T-shirt, and not a huge baggy one, either. I also used this holster at the local IDPA matches, and it worked well, although I chose to tuck the shirt in tight and use a vest at the match. This was just for general safety and to reduce the stress levels for everyone around me.

No dislikes at all, really. I do find that will full-power SD loads (I run Gold Dot 185s), a magazine or two worth of shooting will yield some serious discomfort at the big knuckle middle finger where it jams up against the trigger guard. I've rounded and polished that tight corner of the trigger guard where it turns into the grip, just at the mag release, and that has helped somewhat. For my standard powder-puff match loads, I've shot over 400 rds at one time at the range with no issues.

I had no experience at all with 40SW when I bought the gun, and wanted to stick to .45ACP rather than proliferate calibers to stock and load, etc. But, I ended up buying an MP40 Pro anyway, and now I'm loading and shooting 40SW 90% of the time. My No.1 choice of CCW would now probably be the MP40c, but certainly no reason for me to give up the MP45c since I have it. The MP40c would, in my mind, be an even 'more perfect' balance, with arguably some added 'firepower', if that sort of thing appeals. I'm still of the mind that 8+1 is enough for the fella who keeps his head up and looks around.

If I had one single thing to ask of the design, it would be that they include sear block removal as a field-strippable operation. The roll pin that holds it in would be better as a pin removeable without a tool. That would be very cool.

Edited by Bongo Boy

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps but here is my 40c with a JPoint in dovetail mount. Personally I think I'm going to have bowie mill it into the slide. I've been practicing quite a bit with it and I think it sits too high.

mp_compact.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 40c with lasergrips. They add maybe a 1/4 inch to the width. I have a Kholster full moon. Just did a combat cut on it last night. Works best for me at 3 o'clock. I also have a pro in 40. Same holster it didn't, do too bad at 3 o,clock. Has anyone put sleeves on a full size mag as a carry mag? a6cd0aca-8455-5810.jpg