Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL AP parts kit

caz41

I am looking at putting together some spare parts for my press so I have them on hand in case something breaks. Thinking primer slide spring, case retainer spring, powder measure return spring. What else?

You broke the hub? I gotta ask, how did that happen?

I've trashed a case retainer spring or two but I haven't actually broken anything in the three years I've been using mine. I'd suggest getting a 3 pack of those. Maybe a spare primer shuttle and spring just because they are small if you change back and forth from small to large primers. Ya know... TWANG! Now where did that spring go?! I haven't lost one yet but I do have experience with Aftec springs. :(

Decap pin went through a primer which pulled it out of the die on the upstroke and I was going fast enough when the shellplate refused to rotate the small locating nub on the drive hub broke off.

Never happened again in 20,000 rounds, and Hornady sent me one out the next Monday free of charge.

1) The case holding spring. If you get any nick on the base plate, the spring starts to go sprung. Get a pack of 5 (think they come that way) and be done with it.

2) a spare pawl. Some day you might just try to force something and you could crack a pawl (I did)

3) more primer filler tubes so you can load about 8 at a time and have some ready.

4) spare bushings for all the different dies you might want to try out.

After using a Hornady progressive since the first one came out, I can't think of any other parts I have needed. You could break a roll pin, but they are easy to get and, for me, impossible to replace.

During one move, the wire "cam" that the primer shuttle runs on got bent. Hornady sent me a new one plus the black plastic piece that connects it to the top of the frame. They said that the trouble I had could just be that black plastic piece cracking. After I knew the parts were coming, I went back and bent the wire out a bit and the slide started picking up primer again.

5) That black plastic part that goes into the primer shield to keep the primer tube down. Lost it once and Hornady sent me one for free.

Two things I liked having were: (1) a Lee Pro Auto-Disk and the appropriate PTE die and the Dillon powder measure with the appropriate "powder funnel.

I think the Hornady powder measure is great, but I would hit days when only one of the three would throw consistent charges. The Hornady was the one I used the most, and the Lee I used when developing loads (or my RCBS ChargeMaster). It was good to have three different powder measure systems that all worked about 95% of the time (one day Unique would flow like water and then a week later it wouldn't settle down better than +/- 0.3 gn. I would switch measures until one would work. I would say the Hornady was the most reliable, but the Lee was fun to work with.

Can't think of any other parts that ever gave me a problem. It is a pretty simple and trouble-free unit. I would think that the addition of a case feeder would really up the problems and the need for spare parts. The most trouble free case feeder I have worked with is the one with the Dillon 1050 because the 1050 was designed for a case feeder so the assembly is rather simple and direct where the only problems are also common to all of that type of feeder--cases binding the plate and the microswitch turning off and not turning back on.