Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 major matches

Last year we were to have the EAST COAST Champ match at Caswell Ranch, but no one sent in apps (a few were sent in) so the owner, Dean, decided that the match just was not feasable to put on. Why not start making commitments to this now and maybe he will hold one. Why should the folks out on the West coast get the ICORE big matches? I for one would shoot and work the match, as well as help setup, any other takers in revo world????

ICORE-Italia has a project of a big event just before of the Euro IDPA championship.

The last weekend of August 2011 we will host a match for shooters open to all countries in a site to be determinated but close to Venice, Garda lake and amusement parks.

The idea is to offer culture, beaches, entertaiment and shooting opportunities in one week in Italy!

We hope to offer also 2011 ICORE International Postal Match!

If interested get in touch with me at tira@libero.it

Daniele Tarozzi

I always hate to see someone say they're giving up on something. The better way to address something you are unhappy with is to change it to the way you'd like to see it. Have you considered running for the BOD so your ideas can be heard? Have you considered contacting the BOD to volunteer to put on another ICORE Match? How about starting a revolver club and putting on monthly ICORE matches? Our club shoots an ICORE monthly match and I know of three other clubs within driving distance who do the same. We encourage anyone to shoot our major matches even if you are not a member in hopes they will enjoy themselves and join afterwards. You do have to be an ICORE member to take a firearm from the prize table, I think this is an appropriate way to gain new shooters. Come on out and shoot the IRC next year and get involved, be an RO or a volunteer in the stat shack, talk to other shooters and then go home and hold a match. Or you can just give up on us and shoot a bottom feeder. Your choice.

Ron Joslin

2011 IRC MD

I always hate to see someone say they're giving up on something. The better way to address something you are unhappy with is to change it to the way you'd like to see it. Have you considered running for the BOD so your ideas can be heard? Have you considered contacting the BOD to volunteer to put on another ICORE Match? How about starting a revolver club and putting on monthly ICORE matches? Our club shoots an ICORE monthly match and I know of three other clubs within driving distance who do the same. We encourage anyone to shoot our major matches even if you are not a member in hopes they will enjoy themselves and join afterwards. You do have to be an ICORE member to take a firearm from the prize table, I think this is an appropriate way to gain new shooters. Come on out and shoot the IRC next year and get involved, be an RO or a volunteer in the stat shack, talk to other shooters and then go home and hold a match. Or you can just give up on us and shoot a bottom feeder. Your choice.

Ron Joslin

2011 IRC MD

Well Ron I'm backing up John Z on this one. The man works hard at the matches and is an outstanding guy. Enough with the character reference, but the fact of the matter is that it's difficult to get people out to shoot the revolver only with the high popularity of sneak and peek/run and gun. I enjoy ICORE matches immensely, but we're having problems getting off the ground as far as the local matches go. When it's only 10 or so people on a good day showing up it becomes quite difficult to get too crazy with the setup and COF due to monetary concerns. The inherent challenge of shooting a revolver compared to the superslick bottom feeding brass scattering devices is an obstacle to many new shooters that come out. After a poor performance even with all the encouragement in the world many shooters do not return. In light of the ammo prices I recently saw at Wallyworld...the weekend warrior looking to buy his or her ammunition has no small obstacle to overcome, especially if shooting the revolver is only a secondary or even tertiary concern. How many of you ICORE shooters out there shoot revolver in the other two games as well? Revos are not all that welcome in IDPA due to certain rules and percieved disadvantage. We have no choice but to compete against the autos directly for we are small in number there. Lost brass is a big concern and 38 is more expensive than 9mm for those that do not reload and very little comes off the shelf at 120 PF in your chain stores. I am not giving up on any shooting sport no matter how ridiculous...hold on I'll be right back...gotta reload. Number one obstacle to ICORE is that it doubles up the weekend and many shooters can't attend two matches in one weekend for many reasons. Perhaps more attention should be given to moving ICORE indoors. This is just the opinion of a strong willed 27 year old that shoots a revolver in all three games in my area.

Forrest Halley

LVA625JM

Ron Joslin

2011 IRC MD

Ron, first as a former Marine, I don't quit, but this is a case of attacking in a different direction. I am very active in my area (just got home from shooting my 108th match of the year) and have worked most of them as an RO/SO. I shoot all 3 games and use revo in all (ICORE revo obviously). I have been active in a local club, the first one in the state of NC and helped build our State's ICORE membership to double what it was. I've begged shooters to come out and try revo, lending clean gun, ammo and gear to get back a dirty gun, empty brass and a thank you. I appreciate your efforts as MD at IRC and wish I had the funds to travel to the left coast for the match, as most of the top revo shooters in the country are friends of mine and I enjoy shooting with them. So no Sir, I am not a quitter, just tired of going to matches with 4 shooters. As far as ICORE, the organization could be a tad more efficient, as USPSA offered to make them, but were turned down. After being a member for a few years and never shooting a match (closet 1 was 2 states away) I let the membership lapse. Then when we started a club, Caswell Ranch, I rejoined, only to have a new invoice sent 6 weeks later. No prorate and no answer to my email or written letter. So all this being said, no bad feelings on my end, just wanted to clear up that I am no quitter and have done my share and then some to promote revolver shooting. Thanks for letting me vent.

No slam is intended on anybody here, or anywhere else. Not everybody is as nuts about shooting revo and ICORE as the fellows I hang out with. It does get discouraging being the only or one of the two revo shooters at a match. The challenge lies in the opportunity to compete in an ICORE event local or larger. We are losing some of the range time for Steel challenge here in OKC. The same guy runs both. And being a memeber of the club is obligated in trying to run the steel challenge also. There is not enought days so that the ICORE does not shoot the same day as other opportunities to shoot other games. We (well actualy OKCICORE) ran a classifier match this Saturday to help get some guys classified. Had a couple more shooters want to continue in Revo shooting. You do not have to be a ICORE member to shoot any ICORE event, local or larger. But to win a gun off the prize table you do have to be a member. One suggestion would be to shoot all ICORE where ever possible and if you wish to shoot a larger event and possibly get a gun join then. But the thing is to get people involved in ICORE shooting. And to do that is great undertaking. You have to give of yourselves greatly to get it off the ground and keep it going. OKC has suffered the growing pains as every other club has to endure. We are lucky enough to have a decnet base number to draw from and will keep plugging away. Don't give up hope and take on just what you can. ICORE is a good organization run by volunteers but the future of ICORE is in the hands of the shooters at the local level and there is where we need to get the emphasis on anyway possible. Some shooters are not as lucky as we have been to have someone run the ICORE matches. Waltermitty ran the matches here for many years and when he could do no more OKC ICORE and his dad took over to carry it forward. I need to thank Walter Mitty and OKCICORE and Cap'n John for their efforts. Hell I've said nough for a while. Good shooting and Later rdd

My intent on my first post was to get more people interested in ICORE large matches here on the East Coast. How it turned into this, I don't know. While all comments are appreciated, I do notice that no one has yet said "yes, that would be fun, I will shoot a large ICORE match at Caswell Ranch if they will try again this year", that was the purpose. Last year we had 1 application sent in and a few said they would. The app sent in was last year's USPSA revo champ. So now I try again, will people support these efforts?

John,

I think part of the problem with the East Coast Championship was the location. Nothing against Caswell Ranch, but its sort of out in the middle of nowhere. I think if it was closer in, it would attract more interest for major matches. RDI and CLT airports are both several hours away, little for the family to do, etc. When choosing what majors to spend money on, these issue have to be considered.

I keep trying to get out there myself for a match, ICORE or USPSA, and the 3 1/2 hour drive always kills the idea when there are closer matches. Hopefully the 2011 schedule with ICORE on 5th Sats with no conflicts will help.

Absolutely, John. I will shoot a large ICORE match at Caswell Ranch if they will try again this year. I'd help in any way I can too.

Number one obstacle to ICORE is that it doubles up the weekend and many shooters can't attend two matches in one weekend for many reasons.

Don't know for sure, but it could also be that not everyone has a revolver, let alone a holster & enough speedloaders, etc. To that end, BTW, John absolutely is MrRevolver in our area and has done more than any other wheelgunner I know to actively encourage revolver shooting in our region, including bringing additional gear for anyone interested. He's a terrific resource to the revolver shooting community and we're lucky to have him. :cheers:

As far as additional gear, having it available is one issue (and I can bring an extra rig - and soon, 2 even), but getting the word out well in advance of the match that extra gear (and basic instruction, if needed) is available for anyone interested seems important as well.

John,

I think part of the problem with the East Coast Championship was the location. Nothing against Caswell Ranch, but its sort of out in the middle of nowhere. I think if it was closer in, it would attract more interest for major matches. RDI and CLT airports are both several hours away, little for the family to do, etc. When choosing what majors to spend money on, these issue have to be considered.

I keep trying to get out there myself for a match, ICORE or USPSA, and the 3 1/2 hour drive always kills the idea when there are closer matches. Hopefully the 2011 schedule with ICORE on 5th Sats with no conflicts will help.

Mr JFlowers,

RDU Int is 50 minutes away as is Greensbor Int from Caswell Ranch, we are in the center of the State (E to W) 24 miles south of the VA line. Maybe Ant Hill could start an ICORE club or SWGC. I started ICORE at Caswell Ranch because I like to shoot revolver, I was one of the few that pushed for Retro/Classic to bring in shooters from IDPA-SSR a couple of years ago, when you have 6 or so shooters at a monthly match it's hard to stay with it, as a range owner,club pres it makes no sence to spend more money on targets than you take in.

Edited by CRDB

Good point Dean on Anthill, Richard T. always shoots revo, and the regular USPSA down there seems to have 6-8 revos monthly. Having shot 1911 today, I feel like a traitor and I feel so cheap and dirty, but it was fun in an 8 shot sort of way

I would attend a major ICORE match at the Caswell Ranch if any way possible. I think (know) that many revolver shooters aren't too good about sending entries in fairly quick after matches announce. (Guilty in the past, since I'm a md now and see how much it hurts planning I now send my entries in as soon as I can).

I know the effort that was being put out last year to do a Major at Caswell Ranch. Put it on the schedule, Plan on it no matter what and see who shows. I think you'll be satisfied.( remember there are only 2 ICORE matches other than the IRC that drew more than 65 shooters last year) and like I did with the first Memphis Charity Challenge. Shoot for a certain number, hope for more and pray fo good weather.

IF you put on a major match at Caswell Ranch I'll do my best to not only shoot it, but bring at least 3 more.

Hopalong

Good Day guys, and Happy New Year.

I made my first Revolver purchas June 2008, just cause it look so cool. I am 1 of those IPSC/USPSA bottom feed shooters, but now i am a convert.

Action pistol with a Revolver is unbeilevable, the 686 prefomance centre i got shoots better that i ever will. With a lot of help from a great man from VA i might just be able to shoot a 1900 in the next few years.

All that said, you guys are killing me, i had hoped to join ICORE in the next week.

I will travel far and wide to get to a match if its worth it. ( FUN is all that matters to me )

I am from Toronto, Canada.

I attend 6 Action Matches a year, as far a the Bianchi, to VA / NY / MD /

Driving is not a problem, but finding a good fun match is.

I lost all interest in IPSC / USPSA in the last few years because of the cry babies and wanna be lawers.

Please tell me were the Caswell Ranch is, and is there any ICORE matches within 1000 miles of Toronto.

Am i wasting my time trying to shoot an ICORE match in the near future?

Shooting a Revolver has brought me down a few steps, it is the most accurate firearm i have ever used. I need to learn to shoot all over again.

Did i mention that i'm a lefty.

This is my first post on this on the B.E Form.

Thanks for listing, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Be Safe

Shoot well.

Russell

Canadian

Sorry for ther bad spelling. How does the spell check work on this?

Welcome to revo world !!!! This is where all the COOL kids play. ICORE is a tough one my friend. Caswell Ranch is in central northern North Carolina. We will be hosting the 2011 NC IDPA and 2011 East Coast IDPA matches this year. We also shoot USPSA ther as well, but no large matches set for this year. You will LOVE the East Coast match in October, 30 stages of fun and skill. Check out the website and you can find them on NC SECTION under NC clubs, or on the new USPSA site, I can't get used to the new site yet myself.

I think one issue Caswell Ranch would run into trying to hold a 2011 ICORE East Coast match is timing. April/May and Aug/Sept/Oct are already heavily invested with USPSA major matches in the SouthEast. This would mean that the cross-over shooters had conflicts. That only leaves June/July with the southern heat or late October/November which can be beautiful and can be nasty depending on the favors of the weather demons.

Personally, I would love to shoot a 2011 ICORE East Coast at Caswell. This year is looking to be better than 2010, without the long business trips, domestic and overseas, to just destroy my shooting program for the year.

Problem with any ICORE match on the Right Coast, is it's hard to get shooters. We had a REVO squad at a local USPSA match last weekend with 12 shooters and that was a miricle in itself. As far as what conflicts with what, ALL shooters that have never been involved in the date process, need to go to the match or not. The hardworking club owners/ match directors have a hard enough time planning without trying to worry about other games. As for me, I love the SC SECTION match and would love to go, but this year it is the same as NC IDPA weekend, and while I enjoy USPSA over IDPA, travel expense, time, etc all play a part, and it boils down to I feel a loyalty to my local clubs and will stay local to work and shoot the IDPA match. I wish I could do both, but I can't and appreciate all the MD's that put these on for US, the shooters.