Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why am I loading .223 again?

twodownzero

Many matches won't let you use it because the steel is considered a potential fire hazard.

Fire? seriously?

at my "home club" we set up on saturdays. then on sundays we shoot the actual USPSA pistol matches.

well, sometime between about noon on Saturday and 7 AM Sunday some @$$hat shot one of our steel poppers with a centerfire rifle.

I am assuming steel core ammo, most likely an AK.

the plate is something AR-ish.

I've shot AR500 with steel core inside of 50 w/223 & there was hardly a poc mark. In running a major 3 gun match, we had steel inside of 100 that was shot by over 200 people & it wasn't damaged. Maybe your club steel was AR400 or something.

Edited by RufDog

Many matches won't let you use it because the steel is considered a potential fire hazard.

Fire? seriously?

OK - I always thought that was an urban legend too - but at an X3 match 2 years back... it happened. Shooting at steel, it sparked, caused a fire, range had to shut down CDF came in.

Seriously.

If you ever go to an indoor range with a steel backing... they won't let you shoot with ammo that has steel in the projectile. One of the indoor ranges I go to is kind of dark. It's obvious if a shooter is shooting bullets with steel --- you can see sparks kick up as it hits the steel plates. No sparks with 100% lead and copper jacket bullets.

To be clear... when I saw sparking at the indoor range it was from a guy shooting his Makarov with Comm Bloc ammo.

I've never personally seen Wolf .223 hit steel and throw up sparks. As I mentioned one of the local MD's specifically allows Wolf in his matches. According to him, he tested Wolf on the club's steel and did not see any sparks shoot up.

But... I was also at the Match that Berkim noted. The use of Wolf or steel cored/jacketed ammo shot against a steel target was attributed to be the cause of that fire. IIRC, it was also like 95-105 degrees.

thread drift...

Well it's been raining like hell and I just had to know. Wolf 55, RRLP frangibles and Montana Gold 55 will generate sparks while shooting at a steel target. As far as I can tell they were all the same.

i've never used the barnes RRLP projectile - do you have any feedback on how it would compare with sinterfire? Specifically concerned with functional reliability (my experience w/sinterfire has been middle of the road at best - their projectiles seem very fragile and i've seen/experienced several failures to feed because the bullet was deforming/breaking on the feedramp, even in carbines w/M4 ramps) and also with penetration (i.e. does the barnes rrlp break up as completely, have the same or less penetration in things like plywood or other range materials)? i'm loading some frangible for specific range application, so far sinterfire has been the only product i've used. Keen to hear any feedback you've got on the barnes product, thanks in advance!

back to regularly scheduled thread :)

I think it was Sinterfire made rounds from frangiblebullets.com that I also tried. If you value reliability over $$$ the RRLP will definitely be more reliable than the frangiblebullets that I used. The RRLP looks more solid to me while the frangiblebullets are more porous looking --- less solid.

In case you didn't know, you should use a taper crip or just neck tension to reduce breakage.

My application for the frangibles was to shoot steel at close range for practice. I didn't shoot at any wood. I shot at some ductile iron pipe and did a box test.

Basically I came away that frangibles aren't really worth the money for what I was doing. Compared to 40 grain V-Max bullets, the damage the RRLP/MPG bullets was doing to my steel was just a tad less and the splashback was equal/more than the V-Max. V-Max cost $17/100 vs. $29/100 for the RRLP. As soon as I run out of the frangibles I'd probably go with the V-Max for close range steel practice.

I don't think I did a comparison of the frangiblebullets.com .223 to the V-Max bullets.

I'll see if I can find some video of it and try to upload it.