Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

electronic hearing protection

Wanted

Anyone have experience with electronic muffs? I'm trying to decide if anything under a 100.00 is worth buying. Thanks for input.

I have used Peltor sport-tac for 2 years and am pretty happy with them. I think it was 80 dollars on ebay, new!!

I use the Caldwells, about $20.00 when you find them on sale. I have a set of Peltors but prefer the Caldwells. The sell them at SportsmansGuide.com under their label and Midway had them on sale for $17.00 the other day. Since I never tried the high dollar ones can't say they are not better.

I currently use non elctronic muffs or molded plugs. My first pair of electronic muffs were Peltor and I realized I should have done way more research before I bought them. They were just over $100 and worked OK.

BUT, that being said, not all circuitry is the same. They cut out all sound when a gun would go off and I could not carry on a conversation while shooting was happening. The "better" muffs will cut out the gun and still amplify normal voice at the same time. I can't comment on what muffs costing less than $100 are capable of doing. Pro Ears and MSA Sordin get alot of high marks but they are much more than $100.

I have the Peltors and the el cheapo sportsmans guide ones. I honestly think the ones from sportsmans guide work better. They are much bigger in size though. I would recommend them for $20 just to see what you think before buying a higher dollar one.

I usually just use non-amplified muffs but borrowed some amplified muffs when I forgot to bring mine. I think it comes down to personal preference, a lot of people use them but I really didn't like the amplification and ended up just turning it off, it was distracting to me. I would suggest borrowing some and trying it out before buying any.