Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Open gun

72stick

I'm thinking about moving into an open pistol. I'd really like to hear from the guys or gals running a G35 in open class.

Generally speaking, what things work and what things don't work about the G35 in open class?

Do you plan on staying with the Glock platform?

What barrel, comp combo and triggers do you use?

How does it hold up in sandy stages?

Thx!

.40 S&W isn't really an ideal open cartridge, regardless of the platform it's being fired from. You'd be better of shooting 9mm major from a G17 or G34.

But, if you really want to do it:

Basepads from Taylor Freelance to make at least one 170mm mag.

Basepads from Taylor Freelance or Arredondo to make 140s

Dawson ICE magwell

SJC C-More mount

Trigger from Vanek custom

Barrel/comp combo from SJC (I think they use KKM barrels)

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I'm thinking about moving into an open pistol. I'd really like to hear from the guys or gals running a G35 in open class.

Generally speaking, what things work and what things don't work about the G35 in open class?

Do you plan on staying with the Glock platform?

What barrel, comp combo and triggers do you use?

How does it hold up in sandy stages?

Thx!

If you really want into open with a Glock---go with a 17 platform.

Welcome to the forum 72!

My first suggestion would be to go back the front page of the Open Pistols sub-forum.

Then in the search window near the upper right side of the page type 'G35' then click enter.

Many threads and hundreds of posts dealing on this very subject. Enjoy! cheers.gif

Jim

edited to add. Their is no reason to shoot a G35 in Open. Unless that is what you

have to shoot. And that's all the reason you need.smile.gif

Edited by Jman

I'm building an Open G35, with a magna-ported and fit .40 to 9mm conversion barrel (which is stronger than a stock 9mm or .40 barrel). Taylor freelance Pads, THE magwell and guiderod, JP mag release, my own 2# trigger and Burris FastFire. Going to use my Limited belt rig. Open for $400 and if I don't like it, it won't hurt as bad.

I thought long and hard about building a G22or G35 Open Gun. I decided to go with a G17 so I could get the ext 3-4 rounds of 9mm ammo in my mags. I went with the Jager pieces but I have zero success with the gun running minor loads for steel and practice in the gun with the neavier comp, barrel, and redot on the slide.

I have to remove my comp to get the gun to cycle facory ammo. I have not had the time or dedication to open and 9mm major to develop a load for the gun to run major. I don't plan to shoot a ton of open which is why I went the cheap route with the Jager peices but I wanted an Open gun to learn with before I bought a $3k+ 2011 gun.

If I could do it all over again I would convert a G22 or G35 with the Jager kit so I could run factory ammo for ease of use.

I know that's not that big of a deal but it is something to consider.

I might add that if I wanted to build an open pistol that would allow me to be as good as my skills would allow, it would be on a single action platform, not a Glock. I am doing it for several reasons, none of which incluce any sustained time in USPSA open division.

To get the best responses you might want to mention why the 35 and what your reasons are. I am sure it would spark some good conversation.

Maybe its for elk hunting.

Elk hunting is a little out of my league. I only shoot paper, steel, and clay pigeons are about as close as I’ll ever come to hunting big game

As far as sparking some good conversation, okay here goes. I’ve been shooting IPSC and IPDA style local matches in my area for about 4 years and yes I’m mostly a weekend warrior. Todd, Rob, Jerry, and Taran have nothing to worry about from me. I shoot for the fun, camaraderie and, okay, the competition too.

I don’t have an open or limited pistol, but I do have an open rifle and an open shotgun. I love 3gun and there’s a great range an hour and a half away that shoots 3gun every third Sunday. I also shoot NRA high power service rifle once a month on another range about 20 minutes from the house.

I could buy a whole bunch of factory 165 or 180 .40 S&W ammo for the price of a Dillon press, dies, brass, powder, primers, and bullets. A G35 with an SJC Home Build kit and 6 mags are about 60% of the price of an STI in .38SC.

So, for the fun of shooting and hanging out with a bunch of gun-nuts, I’m thinking a G35 open gun would complete my 3gun setup.

Now, let the sparks fly!

To get the best responses you might want to mention why the 35 and what your reasons are. I am sure it would spark some good conversation.

Maybe its for elk hunting.

Elk hunting is a little out of my league. I only shoot paper, steel, and clay pigeons are about as close as I’ll ever come to hunting big game

As far as sparking some good conversation, okay here goes. I’ve been shooting IPSC and IPDA style local matches in my area for about 4 years and yes I’m mostly a weekend warrior. Todd, Rob, Jerry, and Taran have nothing to worry about from me. I shoot for the fun, camaraderie and, okay, the competition too.

I don’t have an open or limited pistol, but I do have an open rifle and an open shotgun. I love 3gun and there’s a great range an hour and a half away that shoots 3gun every third Sunday. I also shoot NRA high power service rifle once a month on another range about 20 minutes from the house.

I could buy a whole bunch of factory 165 or 180 .40 S&W ammo for the price of a Dillon press, dies, brass, powder, primers, and bullets. A G35 with an SJC Home Build kit and 6 mags are about 60% of the price of an STI in .38SC.

So, for the fun of shooting and hanging out with a bunch of gun-nuts, I’m thinking a G35 open gun would complete my 3gun setup.

Now, let the sparks fly!

Makes sense, but why a G35 instead of a G34 or G17? 9mm is a much better open caliber.

If you are buying a pistol, to shoot 3 gun, and not USPSA limited, then I agree, you would be better off with a G34.

9mm in an open G34 is 28 rounds. You are at 23 with a .40 cal mag. Since PF of 135 or so is GTG across the board, that is your best bet.

And I almost forgot something. I assume the kit you're talking about is this one?:

http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=67

If so, are you planning on taking it on and off to switch back and forth between the open setup and irons? SJC doesn't recommend doing that due to the wear taking the conversion on and off puts on the holes in the plastic frame.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

If you are buying a pistol, to shoot 3 gun, and not USPSA limited, then I agree, you would be better off with a G34.

9mm in an open G34 is 28 rounds. You are at 23 with a .40 cal mag. Since PF of 135 or so is GTG across the board, that is your best bet.

What if it's USPSA 3 gun he's shooting? Then he needs major PF doesn't he?

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, SJC's convertible kit didn't make it. I think he has one left for the G17. No more plans to continue the line. He makes another kit that is a do it yourselfer and not a convertible. It comes with everything except the reflex sight and magwell.

I was concerned about making MPF. They do have some area matches that I might consider attending.

I've also been wondering about recoil on a light gun like the Glock. He has a heavy magwell that he recommends and I assume it helps with felt recoil.

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, SJC's convertible kit didn't make it. I think he has one left for the G17. No more plans to continue the line. He makes another kit that is a do it yourselfer and not a convertible. It comes with everything except the reflex sight and magwell.

I was concerned about making MPF. They do have some area matches that I might consider attending.

I've also been wondering about recoil on a light gun like the Glock. He has a heavy magwell that he recommends and I assume it helps with felt recoil.

9mm major is perfectly safe when done correctly and produces a lot more gas to work the comp. You also get more rounds in the magazine.

I'm interested in hearing more about using a 9mm G17/22/34 instead of the G35.

The G35 seems to meet two my concern criteria, that being:

1 It makes major power

2 I don't need to reloading, I can buy factory ammo

- I don't have to police the brass unless the range requires it

Hi 72,

We've kicked this one around a lot over the years. I suggest a quick search in there "Open Pistols" sub-forum. Just go to the front page and type "open glocks" in the search window on the upper right corner. Then click the little magnifying glass. I got over 90 threats on this subject.

cheers.gif

Jim

I'm interested in hearing more about using a 9mm G17/22/34 instead of the G35.

The G35 seems to meet two my concern criteria, that being:

1 It makes major power

2 I don't need to reloading, I can buy factory ammo

- I don't have to police the brass unless the range requires it

When it comes to competitive shooting, reloading is the way to go, hands down.

Edited by Pro2AInPA