Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Developing a long OAL 9mm minor load . . .

Pro2AInPA

Need some input on working up a load for a 2011 in 9mm. This is NOT an open gun.

I want to load the rounds long, around 1.175", so that the only thing I have to change on my press when switching between 9 major for my open gun and 9 minor for this gun is the powder measure.

The question is this - when looking at load data for a given bullet/powder combo, how much can I expect to have to increase the listed charge when seating the bullet that much longer than "normal"?

Also, I have the following powders on hand. What would you guys recommend for this application? I don't have to hit any particular PF with this gun, but it needs to take down poppers and plates. I'll be using 124gr Montana Gold CMJs.

W231

Titegroup

N340

HS-6

WSF

AA #5

AA #7

Clays

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Slight hijack: Could you post pictures? I'm building a 6" 9mm 2011 for multigun and I wouldn't mind motivation.

Without having to meet a power factor, I doubt you'll notice a difference if you shoot wimpy loads and adjust OAL alone.

4.0 grains of Titegroup would be my recommendation.

WSF is good stuff too.

I would not use HS-6 for minor.

Edited by DyNo!

Slight hijack: Could you post pictures? I'm building a 6" 9mm 2011 for multigun and I wouldn't mind motivation.

Without having to meet a power factor, I doubt you'll notice a difference if you shoot wimpy loads and adjust OAL alone.

4.0 grains of Titegroup would be my recommendation.

WSF is good stuff too.

I would not use HS-6 for minor.

I'll be picking up the gun tomorrow or Friday. :cheers:

I have the most WSF so I'll try it. Hodgdon's data actually lists a 1.169" OAL now that I look which is odd, but helpful.

WSF is allright for Opengun, but for minor I would use something different...

Clays is my favourite, but TG is probably the easiest to start with.

My favourite minor load for STI 2011 5" : Brass Magtech, Federal 100 primer, Clays 3.6gr, bullet Speer 124gr TMJ, col 1.170" and PF 129

Out of curiosity, how did you come about that particular OAL?

When I was researching loading 9mm major, lots of people load to 1.170 and 1.180, so I split the difference.

Not all major 9 guns are created equal. I have 3, 2 will only go to 1.170 and the 3rd will go to 1.200. You might want to check the to see if you have the head space before you get too long. RN can be longer than JHP's. SVI mags will take a longer round than the STI with spacers, with spacer you run out of mag around 1.185.

I mostly shoot WST in minor however, I made up some good minor loads with AutoComp 5.2gr w/124 and 5.6gr with 115gr. I like them about 135pf runs the gun well.

• 6 months later...

ron you running wst in your comp guns? I tried the 124JHP 5.2 g of AC @ 1.165 with win SRP mixed brass out of my trubor it is nice but i would like something a little softer still for falling plate matches.

ron you running wst in your comp guns? I tried the 124JHP 5.2 g of AC @ 1.165 with win SRP mixed brass out of my trubor it is nice but i would like something a little softer still for falling plate matches.

Minor Loads don't put up the gas volume you need, but yes I run WST in minor for Both 38SC and 9 Minor. It works best in 38SC with 115gr 38SC or 9 minor and 5.0 to 5.2gr, With 124gr you lose a bit of the softness but 4.7gr is about right. 38SC @ 1.235 and 9 minor at 1.165 both with RN bullets. I don't shoot many and its been more of an expierment than usage, I find my good ole Major load gives me faster times and better hits. I was working on my shorty with the 7.0oz slide and a Brazos TCII, but its on loan for the IDAHO steel match, Man on Man nationals or whatever it is, I'll get it back at the end of July and start playing again.

thats what we do every friday night man on man falling plates 5 8 inch plates @ 30 feet from the surrender position. We have a laser timer thats wicked accurate. I am running around 2.7-3.2 seconds pretty consistently but find my dot bounces around to much with the load i am running. I may try the wst and if not i am going to pump up the volume and go with 7.2 of autocomp. my major load the dot dont move but man its brutal to shoot inside.

The question is this - when looking at load data for a given bullet/powder combo, how much can I expect to have to increase the listed charge when seating the bullet that much longer than "normal"?

Too many variables to say. That's one you'll just have to work up and shoot small batches until you find what works best at that length and with the power you deem necessary. I'd start with the N340.

Edited by rfwobbly

When I was researching loading 9mm major, lots of people load to 1.170 and 1.180, so I split the difference.

Not all major 9 guns are created equal. I have 3, 2 will only go to 1.170 and the 3rd will go to 1.200. You might want to check the to see if you have the head space before you get too long. RN can be longer than JHP's. SVI mags will take a longer round than the STI with spacers, with spacer you run out of mag around 1.185.

I mostly shoot WST in minor however, I made up some good minor loads with AutoComp 5.2gr w/124 and 5.6gr with 115gr. I like them about 135pf runs the gun well.

Now I know this is an older post, but how was the recoil form the 5.2gr w/124gr load? Also was it on a comped gun?

Edited by Bansheex

Now I know this is an older post, but how was the recoil form the 5.2gr w/124gr load? Also was it on a comped gun?

Its ok... the dot tends to become a blurring line when moving across the rack really fast. The wst load is a little better. the biggest trick i think is to find a recoil spring that is just right for the load. I am pretty sure i am going to just pump my load up to around 155-160 for steel matches also. I get better times and hits with less dot movement.