Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide stop hole crack on a 1911

carlosa

Today I found a crack on the slide stop hole, through the rails, on my trp operator.

Is this something to worry about?

I'll be sending it back to springfield for other warranty work and would like to know if I should expect them to replace the frame.

Cheers,

Los

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the hole where the slide stop pin hooks the barrel link.

It's the hole where the slide stop locks the slide..

I'm starting to think this might not be a big deal :)

You mean at the rear of the slide stop? Do you have an older frame where the frame rails continue across that hole? Newer frames don't have that - the rail is discontinuous at that location because they tend to crack there. I would suspect the frame could be salvaged by milling away that portion of the rails. Let us know what Springfield says.

it has happened on so many occasions that if you noticethe 2011 platforms?? they have done away with that small piece because of all the afore mentioned cracking problems, onlytime it becomes a problem, if it actually does break off, it may tie up the gun, like some have said, hey see if springfield will come thru for you on it(new frame) back in the day, all of our hard use single stacks got sent offto have the lowers hard chromed, served to strengthen up that area and prevent holster wear(this was bfore the bikini holsters)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the hole where the slide stop pin hooks the barrel link.

It's the hole where the slide stop locks the slide..

I'm starting to think this might not be a big deal :)

Oops, I was a little lost about what you were talking about for a minute there. :roflol:

Hard chrome helps with wear, but I don't see how it could help with cracking? In fact, if it's not heat treated right out of the plating bath, the hydrogen embrittlement of the plating will make cracking MORE likely than if the frame was not plated. I shot such a cracked frame for many thousands of rds, but I ran 200 gr .45 swc cast bullets, at 750 fps, 20 lb Wolf recoil spring. I did sell the gun, and the buyer has sinces shot it many more thousands of rds, without incident.

• 2 weeks later...

I so i got my TRP back today...

Springfield turn the gun around in about a week, which is really cool of them :)

i have to say that their lifetime warranty will keep me coming back to them for 1911's every time..

Anyway as for the crack.. i did not get a new frame but they did cut out the part of the slide where the crack happen...

which seems to be a really common approach to addressing cracking in this particular part of the frame.

They also re tack the plunger tube which had come loose, pined my ejector which had also come loose, and installed and tuned a new extractor, at my request.

(i replaced the factory one with a used ed-brown after it broke in the first stage of a local match).

Thank you all for your input.

cheers,

Los.

back in the day,

when Colt 10MM Delta Elites came out, Colt cut that slot out also on that Model..

yeah after researching it for a while it seems that it's not that common that 1911 makers will cut that part from the slide at the factory..

reading about it and finding that out made me feel better about the whole deal :)

cheers,

Los.

Anyway as for the crack.. i did not get a new frame but they did cut out the part of the slide where the crack happen..

That's what I expected. Most new 1911s don't have that part of the slide rail for exactly that reason.