Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 to .357 swap

I have a 650 press and load 45acp and .223. I just got the conversion pieces to start loading my 357 with .38sp and .357 brass.

Question is, is there a quick way to switch from .38sp to .357 without resetting the dies?

My old single stage RCBS had lock rings and a spacer and you put in the spacer for .357 (which raised the die up for the extra case length) and removed it for .38sp. Two minutes tops to switch. You would set the dies up originally for .38sp and put in spacer for .357.

Anything like that or will I have to switch out each time? I plan on loading in incriments with the 650 for both rounds and don't want to switch out everytime I try a new load.

IF I had enough .357 brass, I'd load both rounds in that brass but I have about a 50/50 mix of both lengths.

Thanks,

Kevin

Years ago I made some spacers just the right thickness where I could just unscrew the dies, add the spacer and I was able to load 9x21 and 9x19. Not the best answer but it worked.

After a while I decided it was just simplier to get a second set of dies and an extra toolhead. Now I have setups for 9x21, 9x19 Minor, and 9x19 Major. (I prefer to load 9x19 Major long at 1.195")

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I have a 650 press and load 45acp and .223. I just got the conversion pieces to start loading my 357 with .38sp and .357 brass.

Question is, is there a quick way to switch from .38sp to .357 without resetting the dies?

My old single stage RCBS had lock rings and a spacer and you put in the spacer for .357 (which raised the die up for the extra case length) and removed it for .38sp. Two minutes tops to switch. You would set the dies up originally for .38sp and put in spacer for .357.

Anything like that or will I have to switch out each time? I plan on loading in incriments with the 650 for both rounds and don't want to switch out everytime I try a new load.

IF I had enough .357 brass, I'd load both rounds in that brass but I have about a 50/50 mix of both lengths.

Thanks,

Kevin

A couple things... I eventually quit loading 357 brass. To load a 357 load in a 38 Special case, take 10% off the 357 load's powder charge. I tested that with quite a few different powders and it was true across the board.

Say your dies are set to load 38 Special, and you are going to readjust them to load 357. Before you loosen the dies, mark the seat and crimp die body with a black sharpie marker, and make a corresponging mark on the Toolhead. Then when the dies are set for 357, mark them the same way with a red sharpie marker.

be

I have one of the toolheads with the spacer that are available on eBay. Quite frankly, the concept is good but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped. You have to have identical bullets and well trimmed brass to make it really be plug and play.

I finally just broke down and bought another set of dies.

The machined unit with the spacer is apparently made by Whidden and it is very nicely done. My expectations were probably too high.

I also tried Redding spacers - they work, too, just like the toolhead spacer. I still had to touch things up, though.

Edited by rodell

I too ended up setting up a second tool head with another set of dies. Where this really made a difference is the fact that my wife and I shoot about 5K each in a year. Now each tool head is complete with dies and powder measure and I just pull the pins and swap.