Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble getting on target.

JMIS

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and also new to 3 gun shooting. I have a couple of newbie questions?

1. I feel like I rush every shot. I shot a match last week and had over 160 seconds in penalty from a total miss or not engaging a target.

2. When I aquire a target... I most of the time wiggle and jerk the gun around. Need tips for holding on center target and not dancing the sight all over.

I know the more I compete the better I should get :rolleyes:

Please help

Thanks for the info. Thread link hit home. If I would of slowed down and engaged all targets rather then blasting threw the stages with my 160 seconds in penalty, my time would of been better. Slow down and hit everything is better on the time rather than finishing quickly with alot of misses I would guess. I'm shooting a little pistol match tomorrow. I plain on hitting and not rushing the stage, as said speed will come later....I hope :unsure:

I would recommend to not even think in terms of slowing down. Just see what you need to see to know you hit each target. At that point time is out of the picture, which is the to function at your best.

be

Makes sense. See the shot, correct?

2. When I aquire a target... I most of the time wiggle and jerk the gun around. Need tips for holding on center target and not dancing the sight all over.

I am guessing that you are focusing on the target, instead of the front sight.

If you go to the link that kenvinj308 provided to Brian's tip page...under "Scope Vision"...make sure to read the very last paragraph, it starts with "One last thing...".

Even though you might be shooting iron sights and not a red dot (scope)...it should still apply.

Then, read up where it says "Sights" as a header.

some good info above already. just make sure you are aligning your sights properly (as much as you need) to make a good hit on target, then break the shot. dont shoot til you have the sight picture. as soon as you have the sight picture dont hesitate to break it. as you progress the time it takes to aquire each subsequent sight picture will shorten, thus your time will be faster.

If you go to the link that kenvinj308 provided to Brian's tip page...under "Scope Vision"...make sure to read the very last paragraph, it starts with "One last thing...".

Even though you might be shooting iron sights and not a red dot (scope)...it should still apply.

Then, read up where it says "Sights" as a header.

You are correct. I focus on the target. On longer shots with the rifle I get the wiggles

Jeremy, I didn't watch you shoot that closely at the match on Saturday, but I looked at the results and you did pretty well.

If you ever want to get together to work on things, let me know - we live close enough to one another.

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave! Thank you for the invite, gonna take you up on the offer. Our first stage was a total mess. I had mag trouble and thought I had to make all head shots on the upper cardboard. I cought a bunch of extra time for not engaging two targets :angry: From then on I tried to focus on my shot placement.

Thanks! Jeremy

You are correct. I focus on the target. On longer shots with the rifle I get the wiggles

When it is time to shoot, try having a razor sharp focus on the front sight.

Before that, to located the target, snap your eye to the target...and, more specifically...snap your eyes to a specific spot on the target (pick a small area, not the entire target, as your goal).

The idea is to precisely locate the spot your want to drive the gun to. Then, as the gun comes onto the "target SPOT"...and as the gun comes to a stop... adjust your vision back to see the front sight with a razor sharp focus...as you smoothly actuate the trigger. (You should then see the front sight lift out of the rear sight notch in recoil.)

Now, if you are just having trouble holding the gun, then you will want to work on developing a grip and stance that allows you to be efficient and stable. This will most likely be some form of the iso stance, where you are squared up to the target.

You can also work on your NPA (Natural Point of Aim) in dry-fire by presenting the gun with your eye closed, and then opening your eyes to see ( 1 ) if the sights are aligned with each other and ( 2 ) if the gun is on target.

You can also work on your NPA (Natural Point of Aim) in dry-fire by presenting the gun with your eye closed, and then opening your eyes to see ( 1 ) if the sights are aligned with each other and ( 2 ) if the gun is on target.

Until you can do that every time, you haven't practiced it enough.

be

RM3G was my first big 3gun match. It required a lot of running and movement. I felt the exact same way as you. The wobble was driving me crazy.

Mark Hanish provided me with this advice. When you are running then setting up, take three big breaths and hold it, tighten up, steady your aim and shoot. Repeat as many times as needed to get through the course of fire.

It works for me. Another thing if you are using a scope, back of the power some, I notice that instead of 8X I could see just as well with 4X and there less notice of the wobble. For anything under 100 yards, 1.5 - 2.5 is ideal for me.

Mark's tip has done a lot to improve my distance shooting.

Jerry M talks about trying to get three points of contact, which is also helpful in stablizing the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it again yesterday :( I blew the first stage by not even engaging a target. After the stage was over I sat down and thought to myself... I didn't even see my sights on the last two targets. I just pointed the gun. :wacko: After that did alot better except for the third stage with four of the eight targets in row, I skipped one for another 10 sec pen. I had 20 seconds in added time for missed targets. Other then those two big screws ups I didn't do bad. After looking at the scores just hitting the targets I move up four spots.

On the positive side... I did very well on the last stage with only one 1 second pentaly. I also was shooting my FNX 9mm for the very first time. I bought it on Monday and didn't get any range time before the match.