Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Range layout

tacticalsquat

Hey all,

A friend and I are looking at potentially opening a shooting range, geared towards IDPA specifically. We aren't located in the US, and while I am a fairly experienced shooter, it has mostly been on flat, indoor type ranges, and we're looking at an outdoor (with possibly an indoor) range.

A couple of questions:

1) What do the ranges that regularly host IDPA matches look like? What kind of layout?

and

2) If you were to design a range, what would its layout be?

Thanks guys, all the best!

If you have the bucks (or euros) to build a range I would suggest a trip to the US to see for yourself.

Ideally you want side berms at least 9' high, back berms 15+ feet high. Side berms you can shoot into are a plus.

Ranges should be 15 yards deep minimum. You will need at least one 25 yd berm for the classifier, deeper berms would be better.

2-3 bays for a decent club level match . 5-7 bays for a really nice club level match or maybe a sanctioned match. 8+ bays for a big santctioned match.

For pistol competition?

• Lots of 3 sided bays, 20 yards wide, 30 yards deep. Tall berms so you can shoot forward, or 90° to either side.
  • A few 4 sided bays so you can shoot 360°. (entrance route snakes through)
  • A few longer bays, 50 yards deep.
  • A hot-house.

Oh, my club had an architect and engineer lay out 5 bays of 20yd depth with concrete walls at a cost if around $150,000 including architects, engineers, and NRA range development fees.

Hmmmm...an architect and an engineer. Those two typically go together about as well as oil and water. :sight:

Hopefully, a surveyor was involved...you know how those damn engineers can be. <_<

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses.

Ted, cost really isn't an issue (mainly due to the cost of labor where we are), and yes, we will be making a trip stateside in the coming months, just looking for ideas to pitch to the moneyman and trying to get an idea of the space we'll need. We will obviously go over ideas with our architects here, but aside from flat ranges noone here really has much experience as far as design. We're also looking at hiring some designers who do alot of this kind of stuff when we head to the states, but right now, just ideas.

Thanks for the help!

Markcic, That is awesome, pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Keep it up guys!

Anything luxury you wish you had at your range? Besides a shoothouse, I mean.

Pretty sweet. Needs a 360° pit or too.

Another trick I've seen a couple times is to build the range below grade. The dirt the caterpillar moves out becomes berms.

One needs to be very careful with the "build them below grade" method. It may seem easier in the beginning, but the cost of proper drainage at a later date will offset the ease/cost savings of initial construction. One cannot defeat the properties of water. I've seen many engineers attempt to do it and it always ends with water winning. :rolleyes:

Markcic, That is awesome, pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

The problem with that design is the heat and noise. There is no shade or breeze and it gets crowded.

The one club I've been to that employed this design had major water issues. I believe it was fixed 16,000 dollars later with some drainage tiles....not sure on the specifics. But that range is blistering hot in the summer. Great crew of guys running the match, but I hated shooting there.

This is the Atlanta Conservation Club in Indiana. From a financial point of view, it makes a lot of sense to me. You basically maximize the use of the berm down the middle. Plus, you won't have the issues I mentioned above.

Arnold in St. Louis uses cement dividers between bays. It's basically a series of concrete legos that they stack up between the bays. The concrete companies there use the left over concrete from jobs and pour them into these "lego" style molds. Of course, you can't shoot into it, but it does have its advantages.

The other issue you may run into is your country's regulations. Here in the states, starting a new range from scratch isn't that easy--especially if you are planning on an indoor range.

Since money is no issue for you, you might consider looking into an outdoor system that uses a steel-framed and sloped backstop lined with chewed up rubber. They put in a series of baffles that prevent the rubber 'chips' from sliding down and you can harvest the lead and copper, sell it and offset your costs. From an environmental standpoint, you won't ever have to worry about cleaning up the soil. I'm not sure how much of a real issue it is, but I did do a fair amount of research on it last year. We do have EPA issues here.

Check out http://www.supertrap.com for more information.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Range luxuries:

• Decent bathrooms with running water, perhaps a few scattered around a big range facility
  • A covered area for each bay, so shooters can escape the sun (or rain)
  • A classroom with tables, chairs, bathrooms, chalkboard, heat, electricity
  • A kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge) so lunch can be prepared for some events

Edited by Steve Koski

Standard amenities at most ranges here in the states are:

Porters to carry your gear from stage to stage.

Gunsmiths on site for both cleaning and minor tuneups.

Climate controlled waiting areas with satellite TV's at each bay.

Range stewards for all your taping, brassing, and reseting.

Hot/cold food service provided free of charge.

Thats how we roll here in the States.:D

Edited by Ty Hamby

... Anything luxury you wish you had at your range? Besides a shoothouse, I mean.

Lots of safe areas for easy gear up - gear down,

Shade + benches,

Restrooms,

Berms rated for rifles for multi-gun (a 100 yrd bay would be nice for this)

Lots and lots of props (an old car or two, lots of barricades, moving targets of all kinds, etc)

lots of gravel on ground (its not fun to shoot in mud)