Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to clean my Dillon dies?

I've had my 550 for almost a year. Do I need to clean my dies periodically? I'm wondering most about the .223 sizing die given that the cases are lubed (I'm using Dillon's case lube). What about pistol size dies? What about seat and crimp dies?

Sorry if this has been covered. Couldn't find this addressed anywhere.

Thanks.

When I researched this same topic I found that some do and some don't. It seems to depend on things like loading lead vs Jacketed. Lead bullet lube can gunk up the dies. You should start to notice things like fluctuating oal's etc which would indicate a build up in the dies. They are easy enough to clean with qtips and solvent without really needing to take them all the way apart. I ream mine out with a qtip a few times a year.

It is probably not a bad idea to clean them once a year or so. On a Dillon it is pretty easy to remove the tool head, pull all the guts out of the dies and run a brush through them. If you load bullets with lube, i suggest cleaning the seating die more frequently or at least inspecting for build up of the wax lube they put on.

Edited by warpspeed