Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scale & Powder Measure

I'd like to put this into the XBR guy's section, but the mods will probably dump me here, so I figured I save them some time.

I need to buy a serious scale & powder measure.

I do NOT have a progressive - everything done x hand.

I hear all kind of "stuff" about how they - scales & pwd. measures - don't hold up, become inaccurate, etc.

I want to buy it once & use it for the duration.

I don't have the money to buy one every couple of years.

Redding? RCBS? Hornady? Other?

Recommendations & info, please.

Thanks.

-jb

Get a good beam scale, learn how to balance it and use it. I have a Dillon (the $54.00 one) it works great and seems to be very consistent. I also have 2 electronics RCBS and Frankford Aresnal, and a Lee Safety but the one I trust is the Dillon.

Electronic for speed, and the beam for accuracy. I have not had the RCBS 750 Range Master long enough to make a recommendation but compared to the cheap Frankford I loaded with for 3 years it is much more reliable and accurate, but it can't top the Dillon.

Get a good beam scale, learn how to balance it and use it. I have a Dillon (the $54.00 one) it works great and seems to be very consistent. I also have 2 electronics RCBS and Frankford Aresnal, and a Lee Safety but the one I trust is the Dillon.

Electronic for speed, and the beam for accuracy. I have not had the RCBS 750 Range Master long enough to make a recommendation but compared to the cheap Frankford I loaded with for 3 years it is much more reliable and accurate, but it can't top the Dillon.

Thanks - I see you're on top of things everywhere w/ your posts.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I want to buy an electronic scale & measure combo...I don't want to use a balance-beam - if I can help it.

That being said, if I were to use a beam scale what powder dispenser do you recommend?

It's something I've been wanting to do for a few years & I now have a couple of extra bucks to splurge, but don't want to make a mistake & get one that won't hold up.

Thanks again,

-jb

I have and use the Dillon Beam type scale, still use it to set new loads. I bought a cheap Midway Frankford electronic scale as a back up. It's small enough to put on the bench beside my press. It only cost around $30 bucks and has been right on with my Balance beam scale every time I checked using both scales.

I load a lot of Solo 1000 which is a light flake powder so I check loads often during a run or loading session. This little scale works Great for that.

I have recommended it to several shooting friends and they have been pleased with it.

Yes you can get a larger, better scale but the little Frankfort scale works for the guy on a budget.

+1 on the Dillon beam. I set the Redding BR3 powder measure using that and then lock it down after 30 or so consistant loads. I load .223 with Varget and the Redding BR3 is amazingly accurate. I re-weigh after every box of 50 I do and I can load indefinaley once it's set I can count on at most .1 variance. With a stick powder that's pretty good.

I also read a great article that will likely get some disagreement but basically it explained how a beam scale was more accurate than a digital when it comes to repeatablity. In short if the digital has a tolerence of +/- .1 it can actually be as much as +/- .3 each throw.

I don't think that this will make any difference (especially for me) for pistol loads but it may for the really good shooters.

You can search for the article on http://www.usrifleteams.com/

Here are some others I've found:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/shot-order-and-calibration-when-using-electronic-scales/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/07/weight-drift-on-digital-scales-yes-its-real/

Jeff

Edited by jmurch

I'm glad it's Sunday!

Seems I've got some research to do - & the time to do it.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer me...I'm going to follow all the threads you've given me & will let you know.

Seems that most all of you would recommend the balance beam w/ an electronic dispenser, yes?

Now that I think about it, it seems reasonable...& cheaper!

-jb

Stinsonbeach,

I think it depends on what your loading for. For pistol -I- would use the electronic dispenser. Rifle I use the manual (Redding BR3) dispenser.

How about this for a "head-fake" - both!

Mainly pistol, but enough rifle to matter.

-jb

+1 on the Dillon beam. I set the Redding BR3 powder measure using that and then lock it down after 30 or so consistant loads. I load .223 with Varget and the Redding BR3 is amazingly accurate. I re-weigh after every box of 50 I do and I can load indefinaley once it's set I can count on at most .1 variance. With a stick powder that's pretty good.

I also read a great article that will likely get some disagreement but basically it explained how a beam scale was more accurate than a digital when it comes to repeatablity. In short if the digital has a tolerence of +/- .1 it can actually be as much as +/- .3 each throw.

I don't think that this will make any difference (especially for me) for pistol loads but it may for the really good shooters.

You can search for the article on http://www.usrifleteams.com/

Here are some others I've found:

http://bulletin.accu...ctronic-scales/

http://bulletin.accu...s-yes-its-real/

Jeff

That article on electronic scales "weight drift" was very interesting. I use a cheap electronic scale now & I simply thought the difference was the powder sliding thru the measure easier (graphite) after a number of checks. "...verrry inta-lesting..." That sort of makes me think twice about beam scales.

Thanks for that article - no matter which way I go that info will not be forgotten.

-jb