Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production

WildWest N AZ

Im going to run a G22 in production class, but Ive read rules many times and Im not sure on a few things? Can you use a OEM Glock extended mag release/slide release, run an aftermarket recoil rod, and refinish the slide? I know minor trigger work can be done and a after market barrel can be used as long as it fits stock sizing. Other than that I believe thats about all you can do to your blaster.

Yes, you can do all of those things in Production Division ;) I will say that probably 90% of the people that try the extended slide stop lever end up taking them off. Sooner or later, your hand/finger will bump it, and the slide will lock back with rounds in the mag....happens to nearly everyone. It doesn't seem to happen in slow fire, but when you get going faster, bingo....bad news. R,

Factory extended parts are allowed as they are allowed on other approved models ie the 34/34. Guide rod is an internal modification(Still need to make weight which isnt iffy with steel but can be with tungsten). Refinishing the slide is fine as long as its for cosmetic reasons and not a competative advantage. You cant refinish a slide is something like say truck bed liner that is rough since it gives the competative advantage of grip tape on the slide

Thanks for info guys... I would of hated to add one of those items to only find out at a match by the way you cant have that on your blaster! Im going to add a Wolff guide rod which is steel so I should be fine weight wise. Robar has it now for NP3 coating process and should have it back in about a month I hope? Other than that Im going to order a Vanek classic trigger in a few weeks. Im looking forward to running a production gun as I hope running it makes me a better limited shooter also.

• 2 weeks later...

For USPSA production I was under the idea that you can not do grip work aka stippling ect, only grip tape is legal to add to the grip. maybe my rule book is out dated and has been revised per this ruling or is that ispc rules

Rule Book

From the current Rule Book, Appendix E4:

Checkering, stippling, and/or tape may only be applied to the areas illustrated by

the dashed line boundaries which include the frontstrap and backstrap. Grip Tape

cannot be applied to any part of the slide, trigger, trigger guard, or any lever or

button. Grip Tape or Grip Sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

You'll have to open the link to see the picture, but basically, almost the whole grip can be altered with grip tape, checkering, or stippling.

Edited by CZinSC

For USPSA production I was under the idea that you can not do grip work aka stippling ect, only grip tape is legal to add to the grip. maybe my rule book is out dated and has been revised per this ruling or is that ispc rules

Rule Book

From the current Rule Book, Appendix E4:

Checkering, stippling, and/or tape may only be applied to the areas illustrated by

the dashed line boundaries which include the frontstrap and backstrap. Grip Tape

cannot be applied to any part of the slide, trigger, trigger guard, or any lever or

button. Grip Tape or Grip Sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

You'll have to open the link to see the picture, but basically, almost the whole grip can be altered with grip tape, checkering, or stippling.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

App D4, 21.6 states that you may replace the trigger with one that is OEM on another approved model (emphasis added):

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket

parts.

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

• Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.4 and associated rulings.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OEM parts” if the customshop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Edited by JAFO