Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety check

Wanted

I got some Precision Delta 124gr FMJ. This is my first time using these bullets. My guns seem to like the shorter rounds. I poured through my manuals and came up with 4.0 grains of Win 231 to start. With a COL of 1.090. This sound right? I like to double check things especially with a new bullet. Thank you.

Why wouldn't it be a good place to start? That's what manuals are for. If you don't have a chronograph, check accuracy off the sandbags. Also see how far the shells are ejecting. Check for swollen primers. Manuals tend to start off on the low end unless it indicates a max, +p, or hot load.

It;S my understanding that different bullet manufacture's will often make bullets of a slightly different length. Which can affect pressure. Just checking with this particular bullet, since I have no experience with it.

You are right, generally speaking... it is rare that you will be using the bullet mentioned in the manual - I have never been that "lucky" myself... :)

Your load is very conservative, the question is how much are you willing to boost it. You will be pretty much developing your own load without the benefits of pressure gauges, test barrels and other equipment the powder producers use.

You will have to rely on secondary signs of pressure - things like pressure ring, primer shape, etc. Ask yourself whether you feel comfortable doing this. Many of us don't mind that, others feel reluctant. However, truth be told, even when you simply use the book load, your result can be quite different, due to normal variations in powder burn rate, case volume, etc.

There is always SOME risk to reloading. You will need to accept that if you want something other than purchased ammo.

On positive side, most of us go through decades of reloading without any serious accidents. You can have a ruptured case now and then, but usually not much more, no injuries.

Bottom line - your load is most likely safe, but might not give you full satisfaction, so ask yourself how far you are prepared to go.

Good advice. A lot of people, and many on here are very serious about shooting competition and serious target shooting. My shooting is mostly informal target, plinking if you will. As long as it makes it out of the barrel and hits the target is good enough for me. At least as of now. Thanks for the help.

That sounds kind of short. Hodgdon lists that as the min COAL for a 125gr FMJ load with Win 231 with the start charge at 4.4gr.

AFAIK, with those bullets, 1.13x-1.15x is a much more common COAL.

With the numbers you posted, I suspect you'll be well under 1000fps, and may even have function issues.

My Speer manual lists 4.0gr 231, 124gr FMJ, 1.135" COAL as 887fps. If power factor's not an issue and it functions your gun, that ought to be awfully soft shooting.

For PF, You will probably need 4.3 gr. / 4.4 gr. of W231 with a 124grn Jacketed Bullet.

* Of course always best to start low and work your way up shooting over a chrono.

Here is a thread RE: 9mm & W231

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113540

fwiw: I now run my 9mm OAL to 1.140", but even at 1.16" I had no issues.

Have a great one

Edited by SPDGG