Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you shooting out of your CZ 9mm for Production.

Philo_Beddoe

I am new to reloading and I am going to purchase a press in the near future.

What are you shooting out of your CZ 9mms for production? I want a load that will be accurate and reliable yet economical too. What is the best value for the dollar? I dont mind cleaning my gun so loads that are a bit dirtier are ok.

I thought I read it here once that most of you are shooting 124 gr Montana golds CMJ using titegroup.

What sort of primer are you using?

Thanks

TiteGroup is good cheap powder and doesn't require heavy charges, so you can stretch 1lb over more rounds loaded. It measures very well too due to small flakes' size.

FMJ would be easiest to load but they are the most expensive. Lead bullets need to be lubed and they sometime have feeding issues. Plated bullets are almost as cheap as lead ones but have all the benefits of FMJ too.

I load Berry's 124gr RN plated bullets lately. I can get them locally for $76/1000 out the door. And using IMR 700X for now, but would switch to TiteGroup if I could get good amounts at good price locally.

If you are going to be shooting indoor matches as you mentioned, I would suggest that you stay away from moly-coated bullets. It is true that they don't smoke as badly as lead but they do smoke nonetheless (especially if you shoot them behind Titegroup).

My SP-01 seems to prefer 124gr bullets (thought it will still shoot 147gr just not as accurately as the 124's). I prefer to use Precision Delta Hollow Point bullets. I use Solo 1000 but, truth be told, most any powder will work just fine.

4.2 Titegroup and 124gr FMJ or 124gr plated/CMJ. With this load the gun reacts like an open gun. Sharp, crisp cycling, and the load is accurate and for me flip is minimal. I just switched to Titegroup in September and love it. It will be my new "go to" powder for 9mm.

After doing some research I am going to go with CMJ or JHP at 124/125gr or 147gr to mimimize lead exposure.

What would you recommend 124/125 jhp or cmj or 147gr jhp or cmj?

I tend to think the 147's would be better at knocking down steel, but don't CZ's have problems with 147 gr JHP?

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

I would suggest a sample pack of some sort before buying a bunch. Call Montana gold, see if they'll send you a few of the 124JHP/CMJ's and 147/CMJ's. Then see what you like, and buy a case.

agreed, best to test then buy a huge quanity and be disappointed.

I am pretty sure that both Montana Gold and well as Precision Delta sell 100 round packs. I think they call them something along the lines of "evaluation packs". As you very well mentioned, it is a great idea to take advantage of this offer prior to committing to the purchase of several thousand bullets. Either one of these brands will sell you well.

The other brand that is also very popular is Zero bullets and I don't know if they offer these evaluation packs. If they do, I would strongly urge you to try out their 135gr bullet. Out of all the bullets I have tried, these have been the ones that have shot the best out of my CZ. The only problem is that they are very (and I do mean VERY) difficult to find them in stock.

I have tried the following in order of my favorite.

Precision or BBI 147 moly coated. w/ 3.5 grains of Solo 1000. The Solo is the softest load I've used and doesn't smoke up the moly too bad.

BBI 130 grain moly coated w/ 4.0 grains of Win 231. Nice load but dirty. A little snappier than the 147s if you like that.

Precision or BBI 147 moly coated. w/ 3.6 grains of Win 231. Very dirty and a has a lot more bark than the Solo.

My OAL are 1.10 for the 147s and 1.125 for the 130. I tried the 147s longer but they would contact the rifling in my barrel. I've considered having it reamed but it works so I probably won't bother.

I just recently bought the Solo 1000 but it cam highly recommended by quite a few people. I am interested in trying it with some Berry's bullets as well. Powder Valley has good prices on them now that they are back in stock.

I've had good luck with 7.7gr of AA# 7 and Montana Gold 124 hollow points. Yes, there are cheaper loads out there, and there are others that burn a little cleaner. However, I've found this load to be the most accurate across my 9mm pistols. It's powerful enough to drop any plates that aren't hit quite right as well. I also like 4.2gr of VV 320 behind his bullet and 5.1gr of WSF isn't too bad either.

All the lead bullets I've tried with various powders are too smokey so I've stuck with the jacket bullets (at least for now).

Good luck and I wish you success in reloading and shooting your CZ.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some research I am going to go with CMJ or JHP at 124/125gr or 147gr to mimimize lead exposure.

I tend to think the 147's would be better at knocking down steel, but don't CZ's have problems with 147 gr JHP?

Forget plated, they don't shoot well out of some guns, they cost as much (sometimes more), and are much pickier about things like crimp settings.

Montana Gold 124gr CMJs ($78/K delivered if you buy a case) would do nicely. If you don't like them, there will always be someone who will buy them from you as it's a popular weight for Open guns as well. You may want to try buying 1-200 147gr CMJs from someone that has them to see how you like the softer feeling, heavy bullet, but they are quite a bit more expensive. MG doesn't sell evaluation packs (I called). I've sent a few people 200 bullets in a USPS $4.95 flat rate box several times for just this reason...I only ask them exactly what it costs me ($26)...send me a PM if you're interested.

Zeros are great bullets, but availability has been terrible over the last two years (give or take). Nothing worse than working up a load that your gun loves, only to run out, and not be able to get more for months. Precision Delta isn't as bad, but they have had some long delays (one order I had took six months).

I haven't found a better all around powder for 9mm than N320, but it's not cheap. Titegroup and Solo 1000 are also good choices. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

4.0 to 4.1gr Titegroup under a 124gr Zero FMJ. PF is between 132 and 136. N-320 can be substituted for Titegroup at the same charge weights.

Former load was 115gr Montana Gold FMJ over 5.3gr Winchester Super Field.

CZ85 Combat

Forget plated, they don't shoot well out of some guns, they cost as much (sometimes more), and are much pickier about things like crimp settings.

Montana Gold 124gr CMJs ($78/K delivered if you buy a case) would do nicely. If you don't like them, there will always be someone who will buy them from you as it's a popular weight for Open guns as well. You may want to try buying 1-200 147gr CMJs from someone that has them to see how you like the softer feeling, heavy bullet, but they are quite a bit more expensive. MG doesn't sell evaluation packs (I called). I've sent a few people 200 bullets in a USPS $4.95 flat rate box several times for just this reason...I only ask them exactly what it costs me ($26)...send me a PM if you're interested.

Zeros are great bullets, but availability has been terrible over the last two years (give or take). Nothing worse than working up a load that your gun loves, only to run out, and not be able to get more for months. Precision Delta isn't as bad, but they have had some long delays (one order I had took six months).

I haven't found a better all around powder for 9mm than N320, but it's not cheap. Titegroup and Solo 1000 are also good choices. R,

Is Montana Gold good about not having long wait times?

Is Montana Gold good about not having long wait times?

They're beyond good! Most times, if you order before probably noon, they ship that day. Worst case, they ship the next day (business day). I've ordered on a Monday and had them on Wed or Thurs many times. R,

Edited by G-ManBart