Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Iron sight Sabre Defense

sqrlnts

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first AR, in the hopes of starting some 3 gun matches. Its a Sabre Defense 18" SS fluted barrel, mid length gas system with a free float aluminum handguard that covers the front gas block. My upper looks almost exactly like the attachment. I want to run iron sights. My question is mostly about front sight options. Right off the bat I don't like the look of A2 fixed sights.

I have found a set of used Midwest Industries ERS folding iron sights locally ($90)for mounting on picatinny gas block. My question is how do I mount the front to my barrel at the correct height? If its not possible, what other options exist. I would like to keep the longest sight radius possible.

Thanks for your time in advance!!

post-21974-007275400 1289409214_thumb.jp

Edited by sqrlnts

What you want: http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFS-ALS

There are a variety of methods people use to mount this. Most use a clamp on rail out at the end of the barrel.

I highly recommend this Lyman Globe front sight. JP intoduced me to this sight and I don't regret it. It comes with a variety of inserts for you to choose from.

Here is another link with more info about it: http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.4.php

Unhooked gas block seems to be pretty popular. I have a parts gun with a YHM front sight/gas block combo that works ok.

The JP adjustable A2 type sight/block seems to the the most popular but you said you don't like the looks of the A2. You should be able to get a Picatinny gas block and add the JP globe type sight. The JP sight base allows for a lot of vertical adjustment so height should not be an issue.

There are some clamp-on high power type sights available but I doubt they would be as rugged.

Ok, that IS what I WANT but, what I can afford is another story. So it sounds like the answer is to get a clamp on front rail and then start building from there......

where can I find the clamp on high power sights? No luck searching...

Any other suggestions getting front and rear sights to line up correctly?

Thanks.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7919/Product/COMPETITION_BARREL_BAND

Lipski barrel band, you would still have to add the globe front sight.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/matchparts.htm

White Oak has a different model which only needs the blades I believe.

347577.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=347577

This is the model I have on my parts gun. It uses standard sight posts.

Squirrel Nuts,

I just ordered the JP JPFS-ALS (lyman globe) with the railed gas block made from aluminum. JP did not have a weight for the JPFS-ALS itself when I spoke with them today. They didn't have one when I emailed them on Sunday either(no reply, I got tired of waiting). They do have weights for all their gas blocks though. The JPFS-ALS is made of aluminum instead of stainless, which should save a touch of weight(crossing my fingers) compared to the JP stainless A2 style at 3.9oz. The Lyman globe is steel, I think??? Even if it doesn't save weight it will have more flexibility. I will weigh it when it gets here next week and post a total weight. With a Titan comp at around 5oz and a JP A2(3.9oz) style or a Lipski barrel band(made of steel, not aluminum unfortunately) plus whatever sight you put on the Lipski, you are looking at almost 1/2 pound at the very end of your barrel. I wish JP would offer a run of their A2 sight in aluminum. I know you don't like the A2 style but Armalite has one for a lot less then either of the JPs. Not as nice looking as the JP but you won't feel as bad chopping off any useless weight. All of the precision mounts such as the Riles don't seem quite sturdy enough for 3 gun. I also wish the Firebird CQSS front sight was the right height to use as a regular front sight as it would be absolutely perfect. Aluminum, sturdy, simple, clean looking, I like the rounded aperture and light weight. Maybe the next run????? :cheers:

Squirrel Nuts,

Maybe the next run????? :cheers:

Just weighed the gas block with the rail, that I picked up. Its 6.25oz, almost as heavy as a railroad tie!!!!! I figure if I cut it "almost" in half, it might slim down to high 3, low 4 oz territory.

What I would like to find now is a spacer that will allow me to mount a "rail height" front sight post on a my cut down non operational "gas block" height mount. Does it exist? More help/research required.....

I think I will be going with a beer can spacer to allow the .750 gas block to tighten up on my .705 barrel.

I need to borrow your wrench to remove my supressor, my channel locks wont bust it loose. :-)

Squirrel Nuts,

Maybe the next run????? :cheers:

Just weighed the gas block with the rail, that I picked up. Its 6.25oz, almost as heavy as a railroad tie!!!!! I figure if I cut it "almost" in half, it might slim down to high 3, low 4 oz territory.

What I would like to find now is a spacer that will allow me to mount a "rail height" front sight post on a my cut down non operational "gas block" height mount. Does it exist? More help/research required.....

I think I will be going with a beer can spacer to allow the .750 gas block to tighten up on my .705 barrel.

I need to borrow your wrench to remove my supressor, my channel locks wont bust it loose. :-)

LOL, no problem on the wrench. Try this for a riser.

Edited by fleshoid

That just might get me shooting. its funny, someone spent all that money on a fluted barrel only to weigh it down with 4lbs of jerry rigged front sight attachments!

LOL, just don't let that "Harley" ingenuity become a permanent fixture on your firearms.