Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ parts breakage-- maintenance intervals

jh9

"having" a spare slide stop and TRS and "replacing" them are two different things. :roflol:

Hopefully we've convinced you to do both. But otherwise yes, you've got it covered. I'd also mention replacing mag springs and keeping an eye on your mag lips. I had both problems, at two separate majors. The mag lips got bent to shit on one of mags and I didn't notice. Caused issues. Then after replacing all my mags, I was all set to go, and then had issues again with Mag springs....being too tight! I got the +10% from CZC and had a few issues at FL Open. Jason, I think you were in my squad if i remember correctly. I had no issues day one, but noticed the slide was feeling sluggish. Finally had an issue on day two. Turns out the mag springs were so tight, they were causing the slide to not go into battery all the way. Another lesson learned. Don't replace the mag springs the week before a major!!!

every year, trigger return spring and new slide stop. like glenn said, having a replacement and doing a replacement are two different things.

i would also keep a spare extractor and extractor spring on hand. i also have a shtf 15 lb trigger mainspring so in case i have a light strike i can really heavy up the hammer.

or if you have the money, hire me to follow you to every match, i can even shoot for you too. not responsible for any mikes. :cheers:

every year, trigger return spring and new slide stop. like glenn said, having a replacement and doing a replacement are two different things.

i would also keep a spare extractor and extractor spring on hand. i also have a shtf 15 lb trigger mainspring so in case i have a light strike i can really heavy up the hammer.

or if you have the money, hire me to follow you to every match, i can even shoot for you too. not responsible for any mikes.

Are you offering a discount due to your current condition? I may not be a contender yet, but with that cast on your leg I think I may be able to take you!

On the 1911 design, and 98% of pistols out there, the barrel impacts the receiver. The slide stop does absorb to forward momentum of the barrel and slide, but is much less compare to the rearward recoil of the barrel.

Can you tell me why you think the rearward recoil of the barrel is greater than the forward impact?

It seems to me that the slide is decelerating as it goes to the rear and is at minimum velocity when it impacts the slide stop. I know that if I go below a certain charge, the slide no longer even moves all the way to the rear (fails to lock back) and if i go lower than that it stops feeding correctly. OTOH, on the way forward, the slide is accelerating, and is at maximum velocity when it hits the slide stop.

Hello motosapiens,

The barrel impacts the slide stop, during recoil, after travelling about 3/8 an inch. The barrel's velocity is still very high as the recoil spring has only compressed 3/8 of an inch.

I agree with you that the barrel/slide assembly moves forward with maximum spring velocity when it hits the slide stop, and with a lot more mass compared to the barrel alone. This is probably the reason why 1911 slide stops break, but it is very rare.

But, the barrel rearward velocity is so high during impact that, in my estimates, the momentum is more than the momentum of the barrel/slide assembly moving forward under spring force.

That is why breakage of the CZ slide stops (and copies like Tanfoglio) happens more often, and is an accepted fact that you need spares on hand.

There are many 1911/2011 pistols that have fired 100,000 rounds or more, and the slide stops are still in one piece. And having a spare slide stop is not necessary.

Reading your comment, the slide does NOT impact the slide stop on the CZ or any other pistol. The slide impacts the receiver. That's why I prefer to call the slide stop as slide catch or slide release. It's kind of a misnomer.

Edited by Jediwarrior

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had 3 slide stops break in 40k. One of them broke after getting to close to a port. Another broke because my recoil spring needed replacement. The last one...I have no idea why! The slide goes out of battery and feels welded unable to move forward or backwards. The only way to release it is to beat the stop back in from the left side. When the pin goes back in, it releases easy so you can unload. Now to figure out how to replace my trigger reset spring???

Pistols that are designed off of the cz-75 platform all use the slide stop pin to stop forward and rearward motion of the barrel in the slide, besides the upper barrel lugs in the slide. The oblong hole in the lower lug of the barrel is where it lives. CZ's were designed for factory 9mm, which we all know is a "minor pf" round. Under minor pf the pin should last a heck of a long time. Major pf, not so much due to all the stress on that pin. It is designed to bend/break before something else major does, like maybe the lower lug of the barrel shearing off.

Using a "hardened" pin instead of the factory one is very risky as you are actually doubling the chances of shearing off the lower lug of the barrel.

Lastly, if you were to fit a new barrel to one of these, after making sure the upper lugs lock up nicely in the slide you need to make sure the pin rides smoothly within that lower oblong hole of the barrel. If material needs to be removed DO NOT remove it from the pin, rather from the oblong hole only where needed.

I think slide stop life is also affected by people running really light recoil springs, or recoil springs that are really worn out. I forget what big name CZ person ranted on FB about it, but really 11lb cuts it close. I felt the difference between my primary gun and backup gun last week. MY primary had about one year on the 11 lb recoil spring, the other had only maybe a few thousand. The difference in recoil impulse was huge. My primary gun's slide must be really banging on the poor slide stop.