Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification Upgrades From Memphis

It did come as a shock, and I understand the intent.

Doing it every other spot seems a bit much. Maybe every 5th spot or so?

The Range Officers were great and it is commendable that so many gave. I have no objections to, and even in favor of, rewarding the R.O.'s.

My hats off to Sam and Brad and crew for their hard work. I think they did a damn fine job and hope they are able to keep it up.

What with the closeness and personalities of the Revo Community at this time, maybe Sam needs to farm out some of the duties that need not be "Area/Range" Specific.

I'm sure there would be assistance available.

The hardest part to realizing Sam's dream is probably still to come.

Dave

My reason for participating in the 2009 and 2010 MCC match was to get the chance to shoot with and against a large number of revolver shooters. I get the chance to compete with 4-8 revolver shooters on occasion from NC & SC, but the MCC has allowed me to compete with 65+ revolver shooters each year.

I don't think that I will get the chance to participate in the USPSA Nationals any time in the near future, so the Memphis Charity Challenge represents that type of competition for me.

The match fee is not a problem for me, as the match is for a good cause. To me the money is a donation with which I get the benefit of shooting a match for giving said donation.

Due to my results in the match this year I expect to achieve C class when the next classifier calculation is complete with the MCC results added. :D Slowly but surely I am making my way up towards B class (my next goal). :)

I would like to express my appreciation to all those who had a hand in making the match the success that it has been over the last two years.

Edited by Blueridge

I don't know how classification upgrade discussion changes to prize table distribution, but I'll address both to the best of my abilities.

Classification upgrades:

Since the match is a level II match IF Mike Carmoney (M class) would have won overall (over 5 GMs) He still would NOT be moved to GM class. The match will go in as two(2) classifiers. When Sedro Wooley redoes the monthly run (and we get the scores in) IF the 100% he gets for the classifier, and the 96% he gets for the match raises his average past 95% he will become the newest and Next Grand Master in the Revolver Division. The same goes for all other classes. :wacko:

Prize Table:

Bones found the first Match announcement, since then I had edited the prize table distribution to how it was handled (at the suggestion of several of the very accomplished shooters may I add) that announcement has been out there for 6+ months. So the information was available. The minor problem with St. J*** may have caused it to be deleted as it may have been in the announcement tied to it. Congrats to Stanley, who sent me a very nice thank you letter for the match first and then his suprise trip to the prize table. "You're Welcome Stanley". :cheers:

The prize table for the MCC is 100% match free. It cost the match only MY TIME to get it all together. Work for me has been Weird to say the least, and I didn't get the chance to put forth the effort as I did last year. I did contact MANY of last years contributors with NO response back this year. Since the prize table cost every shooter not one penny, distributing the prizes this year was changed to give every one a chance at some of the "better" prizes along with the top shooters. I'll also tell you that several shooters that placed HI skipped their turn at the prize table to allow others to get to it.

Stanley and a few others are correct. Some shooters attend events based on what they hear about the prize table in the past. I will say I have done that in the past, and all it did for me was put undue pressure on me to perform up to my own standards (shooting wise) which I seldome do anyway. I started at the bottom of the ladder just like most of all you. I have put my time in (and then some) getting to the skill level I have (or don't have) I DON'T go to a match looking to make money, win a gun, or any thing monetarily. IF I do win something that is just a bonus. So I know what it is to be at the bottom looking up, in the middle of the pack, and with hundreds of thousand rounds downrange on the top of the list.

The prize table at the MCC this year was comprised of more indevidual donations than that of corporate or industry donations. I want to thank all those who donated some type of item. I also want to thank all the "industry" people who donated. THANK YOU. (BTW, the best prize on the prize table was a Coupon from Burris Industries for 60% off ANY scope they make. NOT a gun) ;)

Next years prize table, who knows. I may not want to mess with it at all, and try to get a better quality match on the ground instead. NEVER will everyone be happy with a prize table. MAYBE they should go away like the big IPSC matches ???? (you don't see a prize table at World shoot, but you do see 700 shooters. Does IPSC know something we don't") THINK about it. ;)

Next step for the Memphis Charity Challenge. Pay all outstanding bills and get a donation package out to LeBohneur Childrens Hospital.

Thanks for coming this year. Please try to plan for next year. The MCC will be in the last quarter of the year as usual. I will be talking with the Memphis Sport Shooting Assn, the Memphis IDPA club and the ICORE Southern Regional about dates.

I hope you all had a good time at the 2010 Memphis Charity Challenge.

A SUPER BIG THANKS TO DEB @ SPRINGFIELD ARMORY !!!!!!

Hopalong

And thank you, Sam, for everything you and your crew did to make the match such a great success! The stages were excellent, the ROs were friendly, the match was run efficiently, and we found plenty of good stuff to eat and drink in the evenings. Really, what more can you ask for than that? Sam and I had an absolute blast again this year, and we'll never willingly miss this match!

Well, I started this topic under the misconception that the match qualified for major match status as far as shooters moving up in class is concerned. To all those shooters whose hopes for class advancement I stoked up incorrectly, I apologize. Some of you will advance based on the two scores you got in your classifier record. Others won't. That's life.

FWIW, my best stage finish [16th] was on the classifier, which earned me the highest classifier score I've ever scored at about 82%. I'll still be in B class when the dust settles.

Sam deserves every bit of praise that I can give for bringing it all together. I'll be in Memphis next year for the 3rd edition, regardless of prize table.

I'm a little surprised to see all this discussion about classification among revolver shooters. I had the chance to attend both MCCs and had a great time. However, every match that I attend locally in OK only has about six revolver shooters competing. Earlier this year I had a chance to shoot in Georgia and Alabama and I never saw more than two revolver shooters. I understand that this is a very small population for generalizations, but isn't revolver a heads up division 364 days out of the year?

On the other hand, if we are discussing the great shooting that happened at the match, then congrats to all the competitors.

I'm a little surprised to see all this discussion about classification among revolver shooters. I had the chance to attend both MCCs and had a great time. However, every match that I attend locally in OK only has about six revolver shooters competing. Earlier this year I had a chance to shoot in Georgia and Alabama and I never saw more than two revolver shooters. I understand that this is a very small population for generalizations, but isn't revolver a heads up division 364 days out of the year?

On the other hand, if we are discussing the great shooting that happened at the match, then congrats to all the competitors.

Just a +1 from Bubber

Just a +1 from Bubber

Yeah, we don't usually fuss about the details concerning order of finish. :rolleyes:

Did I mention I took 12TH....using Speedloaders...shooting minor...4" barrel...Kydex holster...none of that racegun crap. :sight::D

Edited by nashvillebill

Just a +1 from Bubber

Yeah, we don't usually fuss about the details concerning order of finish. :rolleyes:

Did I mention I took 12TH....using Speedloaders...shooting minor...4" barrel...Kydex holster...none of that racegun crap. :sight::D

No Bill you did not mention that you had tromped me fairly well and I appreciate that. :rolleyes: I got 16th just behind Cliff but you won't rub that in either will you? :devil:

the MCC results are posted to the uspsa website as of yesterday. the match scores and classifier scores should be up next month. i got the job of uploading the scores since i'm the club contact person. the classifier was not entered in ezwinscore as a "classifier stage", so has to be reentered correctly so it can be uploaded to the uspsa. i'm not sure how to upload the match as a classifier. i could use some help with that, anyone?

lynn

• 1 month later...

And a happy new year to all you revolver freaks ! Really want to thanks Sam for a great job putting on this great match.

Oh'e boy master class now, guess I have to really use my front sight now, if grand master is my next goal. Just a note about prize distribution. This is a two way street in many ways. Understand not everyone can be winners, so this feat can be done a couple of different ways. A commen way would be 1st.GM, 1st. Master, 1st.A etc. followed by 2nd.GM etc. or just in order of finish. Whats fair ? Using the first model, a D class shooter can get a better prize, than the person who places 2nd. Master. Another popular prize give away, is simply just paying out cash to 1,2,and 3 in classes, and let the rest walk the prize table. In the end, I don't think there's any perfect way which will please everybody.

My thinking goes, that not everyone should feel like winners...why have a sporting event in the first place then. The best shooters win for a reason. They put more time, effort, practice and money into the sport. If they are not honered that way, then everyone become "winners" like some kind of "no kid left behind program". I must admit, that it sticks in my eye when I see someone taking high D class, and go home with a prize twice the value than 2nd. A class.

Just being honest here, not trying to tell anyone what to do, but it's still my opinion...and you know how that works ha ha.

Jess Christensen

• 2 weeks later...

Match Results from the Memphis Charity Classic will result in a few shooters moving up in class.

Starting at the top, Mike [Dr. Dremel] Carmoney moves from M to GM. Not only did he complete the match as Master class winner, but he did it in 96.64% of the winning score posted by Matt Griffin. That alone should move him up. To seal the deal, Mike scored a 100% on Fluffy's Revenge #1. Those two scores added into his classifier record should raise his average from 93.17% to 97.29%, also a GM score. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The Memphis Class A winner is Jess Christensen, with 88.05%. That's a Master Class score. :cheers:

The Memphis Class B winner is a Junior shooter, Sam Carmoney. He's not only Mike's son but he shot the match at 82.10%, which is an A Class score. :cheers:

The Memphis Class C winner is Bruce Scott, with 72.08%. That's a B Class score. :cheers:

The Memphis Class D winner is Benny Murrah, with 59.70%. That's a C Class score. :cheers:

When the dust settles in Sedro Woolley, will all 5 of these Class Winners move up a notch? We'll see.

Well it appears the dust is still settling... Just checked on USPSA and my revolver classification went to B. I'm still at 57%, but I guess the 72.08% did the trick :)

• 2 weeks later...

Match Results from the Memphis Charity Classic will result in a few shooters moving up in class.

Starting at the top, Mike [Dr. Dremel] Carmoney moves from M to GM. Not only did he complete the match as Master class winner, but he did it in 96.64% of the winning score posted by Matt Griffin. That alone should move him up. To seal the deal, Mike scored a 100% on Fluffy's Revenge #1. Those two scores added into his classifier record should raise his average from 93.17% to 97.29%, also a GM score. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

When the dust settles in Sedro Woolley, will all 5 of these Class Winners move up a notch? We'll see.

Well it appears the dust has settled, with a little quirk thrown into the mix by Sedro Woolley.

We've always been told that classifier HHFs could be increased, based on shooter performances. Over many years of looking at them, I hadn't seen but a handful of changes made. As it turns out, the HHF for Fluffy's Revenge #1 was changed at least a month before the Memphis match, and as a result the classifier scores didn't match expectations. Unfortunately for Mike, he got a 93.80% on the classifier instead of the 100% it would have been under the old HHF.

How unfortunate that was didn't become apparent until you run the numbers.

Mike's classifier average including the Memphis results is 94.59%... Just 0.4% less than GM status. Had he been credited 100% on the classifier, his average would have been 95.62%, and he'd have that GM card today.

Sorry, Mike. But you've got a good chance to do it with your next classifier. As the number go, if you shoot one classifier in the next classification run, and it is 94.1626% or better, you'll top 95% and get to GM. Good luck, my friend.

Edited by professor