Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guns for production class

eerw

Remember, you are going to want to shoot this gun fast!   My personal preferences would be 1) the most consistent trigger action and 2) the most accessable controls.   Consider how easy it will be to "speed" reload.   You can work out solutions with sights and grip panels, ect, to get something you like, but if the trigger is "klunky" and it's slow to reload she's ugly to the bone.   Getting back to what Patrick was saying,  pick the one that brings a wry smile to your lips.  You'll know.    - Sam

The Para LDA is about as close as you can get to a single action type trigger and still be DA actually DAO. I have been shooting one for about 4 months now. I used it to to take 3rd in the Dan Wesson invitational against a bunch of 1911's and glocks. It is almost cheating.

I would get a glock 34. I have a glock 19 and although i can shoot pretty good with it, i'm going get a 34.

A cheap uncle mikes hoster is really really good and the pice is excellent. The 34 fits in the glock 17 uncle mikes holster it just sticks out about 3/4 inch.

Once you get used to the glocks and their triggers they are really good. No safety to disengage, and i really like the short trigger reset. Also no DA/SA difference on first shot.

Also you don't have to clean it often if you don't like, never jams,  you can get mags for 14.88 each at natchez, you can get and advantage arms .22 conversion to practice trigger control etc, they also sell alot of after market accessories in case you want to shoot limited 10 or limited.

1911's and glocks are the only pistols for me.

I would shoot a 9mm Glock in Production class.  Same trigger from shot to shot.  Easy to get.  Easy to operate.  Everything is cheap for them.  

The G34 comes with the extended slide stop/release, the extended mag release, and the 3.5# connector.

I have a G17 that I added all of the above to.  It also has a redcuced power striker spring (Wolff) and polished parts (anywhere they contact other parts).

I think the G34/35 (with the 5.3 in. barrels) are now legal for Production class.  They use the box rule now.

I would also look at the S&W 59xx guns. The first shot has to be DA, but subsequent ones can be SA, and the S&W SA trigger action can be tuned every bit as exquisitely (maybe even more) as the 1911s. Brian may have some more to say on S&W triggers....

--Detlef

Wow!

Our knowledgeable poster/writer/super-tester is also a poet. I think the poet classification is an indication of moderation.

How about it Patrick, any particular forum(s) you'd like to moderate?

be

There is a guy here in Houston who shoots a 9mm Witness in USPSA.  He shoots it in straight Limited, and shoots it damn fast. Only problem is finding someone to work on them, but they can be had for next to nothing.

(Edited by BigDave at 2:01 pm on July 29, 2001)

Brian,

I'm afraid the fame, money, women and adulation would go to my head.  Modesty denies me the opportunity, and humility affords me a life free of regrets.

What was the question again?

Oh yes, Production.

I'd have to test-fire my Witness vs. my Glock vs. my S&W 4046 vs. my Seecamp conversion 1911 vs. the Para LDA on loan vs. my Beretta m-92 vs. my Kimber as a baseline.  And the results would be that I would know which was best for me (on that particular day) and not the rest of you.

However, I do sense a magazine article in here somewhere.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 7:52 pm on July 30, 2001)

FWIW, I would be inclined to go with a Glock 9mm.  Some like the longer sight radius of the 34 (like me) some prefer the shorter 17.  Since PF isn't an issue, pointability, ease of reloading, reliability and consistency of trigger are the key elements IMLE.  I shoot the G34 for IDPA for all these reasons.

And of course, before someone else chimes in, when it gets dirty I can just pop it in the dishwasher.

Cheers,

Ross