Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are These Accessories Essential?

doc540

calipers are for measuring length, etc. a case gage will ensure that the rounds will fit in the chamber of your gun. and yes, put every round through one if you are taking them to a match....ask me how i know :angry2:<_<

Edited by Corey

Too funny that my friend from El Paso suggests the balance to verify the digi. My students always ask, "Meeester...why can't we use a deeegital scale?" My answer is that scales measure weight or force....not mass. And then I add, "How do you know your digi scale is correct? Are you going to trust the number that comes from a box full of crap made in Asia?" It always gets them going good. Digital scales don't stick around a my school. The gang bangers steal them so they can weigh their drugs.

As for media dust....I always give my brass a good wash before putting it in the tumbler. I'll set the mesh bag on concrete and hose it off really good. I don't like my media getting super contaminated with dirt. Hopefully that reduces the amount of lead in the batch. No mattter what, I'm going to start wearing a mask when I separate the media. I've got a few of those around as well.....no money spent.

Buy tumbling media at the pet store or farm store. They have 'lizzard litter' (crushed walnut shells) at the pet stores, and crushed corn cobs at the farm feed stores. CHEAP !!!! Works great! I never buy the official 'tumbling media'. Way too expensive.

Also, it might be worth checking your shooting range for a Chrono. My club (a very well run place), has a couple permanently setup on each end of the rifle range, with a box, roof, steel protector, remote readout, and everything.

As for dust: I cut a hole in an old rag. The hole fits over the screw on top of the tumbler, and the rag drapes over the lid. Keeps the dust inside.

If you are on a budget, you can use your gun barrel (removed from gun) as a case gauge. Make sure each round drops in.

I agree about the ziploc bag. I give it a 2sec squirt, seal the bag and knead them a little. However, I loaded 10K on my Square Deal B without lube. Just makes it easier. I suggest One-shot brand lube, I've never felt the need to clean the cases AFTER loading because of excess lube.

Edited by Jeff686

"lizard liter"

Now, that's just the kind of insider advice I'm looking for. :D

re: case gauge

Just watched a youtube vid of someone using one on .223 rounds. I understand now.

Could've missed it, but I don't see one for sale in the Enos shop.

OOPS...they're under "dies".

Edited by doc540

I use the Cabelas tumbler and media separator. Excellent quality for the money! Holds right about 1,000 9mm cases if you stuff it.

For lube, I use Hornady One-Shot case lube. Scoop up about 200 cases to refill the 650's casefeeder with an old tupperware, spray the inside of the lid with One Shot, pop it on, and shake like crazy for 30 seconds. Dump it in the press and roll.

"lizard liter"

Now, that's just the kind of insider advice I'm looking for. :D

re: case gauge

Just watched a youtube vid of someone using one on .223 rounds. I understand now.

Could've missed it, but I don't see one for sale in the Enos shop.

OOPS...they're under "dies".

Remember, a case gauge will NOT tell you if your round is too long to chamber. So when you are working up new loads it is critical that you check length in your chamber.

Thanks

So instead of calipers and a case gage, could I just use my Commander barrel for spot checks?

If not, are calipers used for OL checks?

Yes, but... a case gage is precession machined to the min chamber spec. If your ammo pases a gage it will work in any gun. If you use your barrel you only know it will work in that gun... maybe. Small variances that could cause problems may not be noticeable in the barrel but stand out with a gage.

For OAL, a gage is a pass/fail. Calibers give you exact measures allowing you to fine tune your ammo. Don't forget loading data often specifics a OAL for a given bullet. You need calipers.

Thanks

So instead of calipers and a case gauge, could I just use my Commander barrel for spot checks?

If not, are calipers used for OL checks?

You need the calipers to make sure that the loaded rounds match OAL listed for that particular bullet/powder/charge combo. This is because loading shorter than specified increases pressure, and longer than specified lowers pressure. So, find the OAL target you want, then adjust the seating die until the finished rounds are correct (there will be some variation). After that, you need to make sure that when you chamber one of those rounds, the bullet doesn't engage the rifling. I normally load a dummy round when initially setting the OAL, then drop that in the chamber and make sure it's not meeting any resistance, and there are no rifling marks on the bullet when I remove it. You can use the barrel/chamber to check that loaded rounds drop into the chamber (looking for bulged cases mostly), but it's slower than using a case gauge, and most case gauges are far tighter than most barrel chambers, so if they work in the gauge, they should be fine in the gun. R,