Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picture/info request on Bulletworks/MITCHELL CUSTOM Mag Catch / Lefty

far_fast

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out what kind of ambi/lefty mag catch solution to do on my 1911's.

I have(for now[:o)]) one Springfield TRP which is primarily for carrying and one STI spartan which is primarily for competition.

Options I'm considering so far

#1 Mitchell Custom / bulletworks Mag catch

This option in my opinion looks the best. No mods required to frame, big nice button. I'm considering this currently to be my top candidate.

#2 Get some sort of enlarged mag button to install on the stock mag catch so it will be easier to reach with the lefthand index finger.

#3 OTHER MOD options. As the TRP will be one of my main carry guns i am willing to potentially purchase say the Mitchell custom mag catch, and then send it to a competent smith and have some considerable work done to it. Investing up to 300-400 dollars for this project to turn out well enough to where i trust all the equipment and make it fit my needs perfectly is not a problem at all.

With that said, anyone have any other suggestions? I would love some more pictures and information of solutions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

I'm also a Lefty, & currently have the Mitchell Custom on my 2011.There are also 2 other options that I know of, and I have 1 of them for my back-up.

The two others are from Cylinder & Slide & Smith & Alexander. I would imagine all 3 would work, since they are all from reputible companies. I tried using an oversized mag catch button but for me I never was comfortable with it.

I'm also a Lefty, & currently have the Mitchell Custom on my 2011.There are also 2 other options that I know of, and I have 1 of them for my back-up.

The two others are from Cylinder & Slide & Smith & Alexander. I would imagine all 3 would work, since they are all from reputible companies. I tried using an oversized mag catch button but for me I never was comfortable with it.

thanks very much for your response. I already own a smith&alexander, however it requires smithing to install and I didn't like the "feel" to it either when i installed it. - You only need smithing to make the actual release function work, you can still install it as normal.

One of the concerns i had with regards to the mitchell solution was excessive protrusion.

Do you think this would be an issue? I plan on using the Blackhawk Serpa holster to carry my TRP. My spartan i use a blade tech DOH which i can cut any way i like to make it fit.

It is not an issue at all with me, but I run a custom STI Limited in a Ghost rig. I don't believe it protrudes any farther than a "Normal" left side mag release, but I wouldn't bet my house on it either - wish I could give you a definitive answer, but it's only a $125.00 investment, & what I've put into this sport, that's literally a drop in the bucket - Good Luck,us Lefties in our right minds need to stick together.

It is not an issue at all with me, but I run a custom STI Limited in a Ghost rig. I don't believe it protrudes any farther than a "Normal" left side mag release, but I wouldn't bet my house on it either - wish I could give you a definitive answer, but it's only a $125.00 investment, & what I've put into this sport, that's literally a drop in the bucket - Good Luck,us Lefties in our right minds need to stick together.

Thanks, it shouldn't be an issue either way. Judging by this picture below I imagine a careful cut-job with a boxcutter in the holster would suffice to fix any potential misfit anyways.

blacpic410503bk-r.jpg

How do you like the release so far? any problems? would you be okay using it for your carry weapon?

Thanks!

I've tried that bassackwards mag catch at Jimmy Mitchell's shop. It seems pretty cool. I'll probably get one on the 1911 I'm planning. I'm a righty who wants to realease the mag with my trigger finger so I don't have to shift the gun in my grip.

If you're concerned about it protruding too far on a carry gun, ask if he will make one a different length for you.

I have three mitchell releases and two smith&alexander releases. I like the mitchells the best. But......I also work as a police officer and didn't install a right side mag catch on my duty gun and when doing some training the other day, I went with my thumb to release and then switched to my finger. I cost me 1/2 a second, but I am going to put on on it. It is an STI tactical 4.15". Just make sure on your carry gun that you remember where the mag catch is if you need to reload.

Also, be aware of the screw that holds the michell one in, I lost it this month and had to find a new one at the hardware store and modify the screw to fit since it was too long.

Randy

I've been using a Cylinder and Slide ambi mag release for about two years now and I have had no issues with it. I don't carry, I only shoot in competitions though. When I first got it, I did trim it down a bit because I was worried about it catching on my holster or for table starts. The lever that goes on the right side of the magazine release is pretty large out of box. On the plus side its polymer so about two minutes with a file will fix it.

I'm a lefty and I just hit it with my left index finger. I think it's faster and as a bonus I'll never have to worry about having my finger in the triggerguard during a mag change.

huge +1

The only reason Id buy on it if I had my left hand chopped off and became a righty.

BTW,

Jimmy sell more of these to rightys than leftys.

Edited by mike cyrwus