Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LnL Case Feeder Tipping Cases on the Shell Plate

I fiddled with mine a little more this weekend, and ended up going with mush's suggestion. Works better than what I had going earlier, and prevents both the upside-down and sideways cases. I used clear plastic. I took a pic (a good one this time) and I'll post it later when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Ok well I'm going to have to try the #6 on 9 mm. I just stuck a piece of cardboard at the top of the case feeder to narrow the opening enough cases cannot turn sideways in there and it stopped the brass rain. I did the same fix for the Dillon XL650 I have, yep that guy that sold his, well the XL650 is the same case feeder painted blue, and I use the same shell plates on the Hornady and the Dillon.

The Dillon was more prone to upside down cases, before I figured out the cardboard fix, it worked on the Dillon so I did it on the Hornady as well.

Nyet... I do suspect that they share the same exact motor unit and hub, but the housing/sorter is night and day different. I think the Hornady was actually made from kydex. It was so flimsy that it didn't even set level on it's mounting bar. The Dillon is injection molded, much thicker and rigid, and is just better constructed all around.

I completely agree with you on the plates. Almost...

They will work in either unit. I have a small pistol plate for each and they are the same diameter. The notches are the same size, width and depth, but one of them (don't remember which) has an extra notch in between each of the "humped" sections, so they have a different total number of notches between the two brands, just a very minor difference. But this has nothing what-so-ever to do with the brass rain. The plates in either unit are good to go.

I don't know Cocobolo, maybe you have older models of each and they've been changed? OBTW, my 650 feeder is still at the one single upside down case drop as it's one and only bobble. Other than that it's got a perfect functionality record. :cheers:

Edited by Shadowrider

I fiddled with mine a little more this weekend, and ended up going with mush's suggestion. Works better than what I had going earlier, and prevents both the upside-down and sideways cases. I used clear plastic. I took a pic (a good one this time) and I'll post it later when I'm not feeling so lazy.

I'm happy it worked for you too.

I think Hornady needs a sliding plate on the right side like they have on the left. Then we could adjust both sides for a better drop of the case. But like many companies, they would have to admit someone else has a better idea. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad I am not the only one with case feeder problems. I have yet to make any corrections but with the long weekend I will be downstairs tweaking mine just as you guys have. I get the upside down cases, case rain, and case tilt at spring just as described,

Time to charge up the Dremel and steal that joker from the deck of cards!

Mike

Maybe I'm one of the few without issues with the LNL case feeder. Never have the brass rain issue and only on very rare occasion have I had an upside down case.

How many cases are you guys putting in the hopper? While loading 9mm I would say I use no more than 300.

Possibly using the wrong tube? Small tube for 9mm and large for .40/.45 with matching hardware.

I suspect that a less than perfectly anchored press is a factor in most of the "brass rain." Any amount of flex results in signficant movement at the top of the casefeeder, causing cases to flip about more, and some will flip sideways and jam the funnel.

The number of cases in the hopper (10 to no more than 100 cases - 9mm) doesn't seem to matter for the case tipping issue. Once I put the paper card on the right side of the hopper hole the case tipping problem stopped.

For the brass "rain". This only happens for me (so far) loading 9mm and only once in a while again with 10 to 100 9mm cases.

I don't recall it happening after I put the card on the right side of the hole. I will have to watch when I reload 9mm again. I think the only way to figure this one out is to watch the hopper hole (or better yet find a camera to record so I can watch the more important loading) and see what happens and when.

So far I mostly load 9mm with some 38sp and 223 and mostly test loads because I am still in load development.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the tipping cases I spoke with Hornady and they suggested that sharp edges on the shellplate may need to be buffed or something and that I should send my shellplate in for warranty. The other thing was to check the channel for the spring retainer, it needs to be fully seated in the grove and the groove needs to be clean. I noticed that Dillon uses the same shellplate with different retaining pins on the 550 for both the 9mm and 40. So I started using my 40 shellplate for the 9mm--no problems since.

As for the brass rain I think there may be something to an earlier statement regarding how securely anchored your reloader is. My bench has a top made of 2 3/4" pieces of plywood and a 2x4 laid horizontally beneath. Fairly heavy construction but the press is mounted in the middle of the 50"? span and bounces a little bit during operation. This is very obvious if watching the casefeeder.

With the 40 I have never had a brass rain like the few times I've had with the 9mm. The case feeder plate doesn't pick up the brass as efficiently with the 40 as it does with the 9mm and therefore does not overload the funnel at the top should a case not fall exactly as it should. It gives it time to clear itself. Since the tube holds about 30 brass, I turn it on intermitently with the 9mm and I don't have this issue when doing so. I think that as long as the case feeder is bouncing around it will not feed the brass perfectly. In fact the only times (twice) I've had brass feed upside down was in the middle of filling the tube while furiously operating the press.

The double feeds in 40 are being caused by the feed tube end, you need a feed tube end with a small opening at the bottom and a large opening at the top to accept the large feed tube. This will also make setup more forgiving. I used a piece of PVC pipe in the bottom of the large feed tube end and it solved this problem although I created a new one where the brass would hang up on the edge of the pvc. Hornady is working on this.

I got a new LnL and casefeeder. I was having issues with the brass coming out and hitting me in the head, brass going in the chute upsidedown and cases tipping. All the problems up top were solved with angling the bowl back a little. Not enough tilt and the cases do not behave properly. You can bend the bracket pretty easy to get more tilt. So far so good but it seems to be resolved. Tipping cases was fixed by watching the timing of the V block from the right side of the press and make 100% sure the case was not hitting the edge of the shellplate before it's proper time. It's easier to see this from the oppisite side of the shellplate.

Edited by 98sr20ve

• 2 weeks later...

Issue #4: Cases flying out and hitting me in the head from the case feeder.

They're getting loose from the gap between the case feeder bowl and that little plastic funnel at the top. The fix here is to use the warranty registration card and electrical tape to close up the hole. Please let me know if this happens to you also, or if I've got a defective unit here.

case_feed_jam.jpg

Hornady sent me a new Casefeeder Support Rod. Mine was mis shaped.

Also, the window in the bowl was shifted to far to the right. cases were ussually hitting the right side of the funnel. I shifted it over to the left a little and now it's 100%. Had to take the bowl off and redo the holes a little. I am sure Hornday would have sent me a new base but I was impatient.

Also in your picture the chute should be all the way open for pistol

• 2 months later...

Posted this in another thread but figured it was worth it to put it here to help anyone having similar issues:

To cure case tipping during insertion to the shell plate, I cut a custom shoe for the case pusher Vblock using felt furniture leg pads.

I can now say that the case feeder works as well as I'd hoped it would.

The fundamental problem with feeding the 9mm cases is that the V shaped pusher doesn't make contact with the case low enough for it to overcome the little bump formed by the retention spring. Cases end up hanging ever so slightly on the spring and then get tipped over by the high pusher.

I cut a bit of the felt pad in the shape/size of the pot metal pusher (essentially a square with the V notch cut in). I then peeled off the self-adhesive backer and simply affixed the felt pad to the bottom of the pusher. This extends the pusher down to the transport carriage surface providing a lower axis of pressure on the case allowing it to scoot the case over the spring without tipping it over. The felt portion of the pad keeps the shoe from rubbing on the carriage so it operates smoothly while maintaining contact. I suspect that I'll have to replace it at some point as the felt wears, but it's going strong for about 500 rounds of 9mm so far.

One nice thing is that you don't have to be terribly precise as the felt pad will mold to the appropriate shape with use. It does pick up dirt though, so it isn't super pretty but it sure works well.

Here are some photos for those who prefer to see what we're talking about.

lnl_felt_1.jpg

lnl_felt_2.jpg

~Hans

Reading this brings back all the bad memories....

I had all the same problems and thanks those on the forum now have mine working very well with a business card and different v-block.

I ended up getting a kink in my original spring and that spot would always cause problems. A brief call to Hornady and they shipped out a replacement spring and a 'new' shell plate. Things are running pretty good now.

Mike