Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Millet Vs. Nikon Vs. ? - 1x To 4x

PEC-Memphis

I'm looking for a sight for a AR-15 carbine. It will be for "general purpose" with thoughts of using it for 3-gun in the future.

I currently have a C-More Tactical Railway with a 8 MOA, but it has quickly become apparent that the 8 MOA is "not-so-precise" at 30+ yards.

I've considered installing a 2 MOA module to "improve" the precision; however, the better choice might be a 1x -4x.

It would be nice if the sight is useful to to 200-300 yards, which I don't think any 1x red dot is going to be (at least with my eyes).

Is a 1x -4x a better choice than the C-More ?

If it is, any thoughts on the Nikon M-223 vs. the Millet DMS? (I've read some less than favorable reviews of the Millet, but the recticle seems more useful)

Or vs. another choice (possibly in the same price range)?

Thanks...

I haven't seen the nikon but I have two millets on my Nordic upper and practice AE. Not bad for under $200 used. A budget conscious friend just bought a primary arms 1-4x for under $100 used. I never heard if them before so I don't know jack about there reputation. I guess you probably get what you pay for. The primary arms scope was identical to the millet in the outside but had a different reticle.

Edited by jtischauser

I am a nikon fanboy, but.... I am not impressed by the 1-4 m223 scope. The dot is 4 moa or so, and was designed as a point blank reticle. Was fine through 100 yards, beyond that, the dot would cover plates, etc.

Optics were very clear as any other Nikon Monarch.

I have not used the Nikon, but I was on a Millet and after three shots out of a .223 the reticle was about 30 degrees to the left. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I have had other Nikons and have been pleased.

I have not used the Nikon, but I was on a Millet and after three shots out of a .223 the reticle was about 30 degrees to the left. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I have had other Nikons and have been pleased.

I am using a Leupold VX-1 1-4 shotgun scope on my AR, and it works very well. I have a buddy using a similar Leupold AR specific 1-4 scope which is very similar. The shotgun scope is $200, the AR scope is a little more.

I have recently read a good review of a Leatherwood Hi-Lux on this forum, but I have no experience with that scope.

All are in the $200 to $300 neighborhood.

I am a nikon fanboy, but.... I am not impressed by the 1-4 m223 scope. The dot is 4 moa or so, and was designed as a point blank reticle. Was fine through 100 yards, beyond that, the dot would cover plates, etc.

Optics were very clear as any other Nikon Monarch.

As our local "Nikon Fanboy" wink.gif has suggested, 4MOA is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to 3 gun. In 3 gun, your standard target size will typically be 4MOA so, you will have a really tough time shooting long range targets (beyond 100) with it.

I've shot a millet for almost a year now...with a solid mount such as made by Larue, the Millet will treat you well.

The Weaver 1-3x is opticly better then the Millet in my opinion and it is also less money as you are not paying for the worthless illumination on the Millet. A little less power with the Weaver, but clearer. I have both the Millet and the Weaver. I would buy more of the Weavers if I needed a low power scope for cheap, but I wouldn't buy a Millet again. A buddy of mine is getting the Nikon this week so I will look at his, but as of now I have no opinion on it other then I don't like the large target turrets on it.

The Weaver is on sale right now...

Edited by TruePunisher

I am using a Leupold VX-1 1-4 shotgun scope on my AR, and it works very well. I have a buddy using a similar Leupold AR specific 1-4 scope which is very similar. The shotgun scope is $200, the AR scope is a little more.

I have recently read a good review of a Leatherwood Hi-Lux on this forum, but I have no experience with that scope.

How do you like the VX-1? As I consider scope options, I was thinking it not a bad deal to get one and have the custom shop add a BDC reticle to match my load and maybe change the paralax. That's not much more than $300 for the whole kit, if I go that route.

Edited by TLD

I've heard about spotty quality from the millet, this was all second hand as I’ve never used one. I did not like the 223 series reticle or the adjustable turrets that are asking to be bumped but I liked the basic scope. I got the Nikon monarch African scope. It is the same scope as the 223 but has covered turrets and a german #4 reticle. So far I really like it but I have not run it much yet.

I would recommend the Burris TAC-30 only available from midway, it is pretty new but has some great reviews. Just my $.02

But it is supposed to be avaiable early 2011. I have one (in black not tan) on my Firebird to try out at the AR MG this weekend. Benny Hill is also trying it out at the match. I've only got about 200 rounds downrange with it, but I really like it so far.

I have the Nikon M223 and really like it. I also have a couple of the Weaver 1-3x scopes. I like them both, but the Nikon has thicker crosshairs that are easier to pick up fast. I think I'd like the Nikon more without the dot for longer range targets, but we don't shoot much over 100 yards around here anyway. There is a model of the Nikon in their hunting line with a German #4 reticle without the dot. I've seen too many posts on problems with the Millet to own one of those.

How do you like the VX-1? As I consider scope options, I was thinking it not a bad deal to get one and have the custom shop add a BDC reticle to match my load and maybe change the paralax. That's not much more than $300 for the whole kit, if I go that route.

I like the VX-1, optics are very clear. My only complaint is the zoom adjustment ring is a stiff. I have read other posts on this forum about someone changing the reticle in this scope to a BDC, and price was right around $279, if I remember correctly. Local matches here are only out to 200 yds., and the VX-1 works very well at that range. Not a true 1x when on that setting, though.