Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 013

pjb45

Ok, I know my mechanical aptitude is almost nil. I need help.

I have a new 013 and I need to modify the trigger block i.e., remove the insert so I can fit my SV in it. I am at a loss of what to remove. I have have taken the screw out but nothing in the trigger block seems to want to be removed?

Any advice, especially funny ones, will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I sold my 012 to Steve because I never felt secure in it.

I got the 013 because of the safety lock which I thought would be good for shooting Open. I am using a BladeTech for my Limited gun but it is wearing on the chrome, so I thought I might use the 013 for it too.

But what a PIA getting it adjusted.

I may end up setting my Ghost rig up and using it again.

I may start shooting Open for the next month or so.

Seriously, the only people that claim Safarilands work with STI/SVI trigger guards are those who have one listed for sale or will soon be listing one for sale, They do work ok with the traditional steel round triggerguards on 1911's and Para,s

I have an STI and use a 013. I do not know about any insert, I will have to take a closer look at what I have. Mine is not an SVI, but I just adjusted it and my pistol fit. I have compared it in matches against a Ghost and I may be the strange outlier, but I prefer the 013. And I am not saying this because I am selling it or plan on selling it. I must admit that I have not tried a Race Master yet so I cannot say that I never will sell the 013.

I took it all apart and adjusted step by step. I have a steel frame SVI so the trigger guard is pretty beefy. I got it to fit. I need to work with it before I feel comfortable shooting with it during a match. I then tried to fit my Open gun. Again a PIA. The comp is about a quarter inch offset from the bottom rest. It does not fit into the holster easily. I will need to play with it some more. I may end up using the Ghost for the Open gun.

I really hate how the BladeTech wears on the hard chrome. I will have to line the BladeTech to reduce the wear.

• 2 weeks later...

I set my 013 for my STI in about 5mins. I have used a 011, 012 and now the 013 and STI fits the holster with no problem. The only issue is it never had a locking mechanism.

Buy the Arrendondo muzzle platform. I like the fact that the platform has a knob that actually goes into the barrel when it is holstered. Very stable. The 012 model platform will fit the 013. The 013 is shipped with an insert already installed and must be taken out if your using an STI/SVI. Its very simple to take out, just remove the trigger block and its out. With the insert removed it allows for the STI's bigger trigger guard. The STI will not fit if the insert is in there and probably what happened with Joe4d. Also a single stack will be loose if the insert is not put back in and probably will fall out.

I'm left handed so a CR speed isn't an option. I don't like a Ghost and Limcat due to no muzzle platform. Many guns have fallen out of those holsters.

Flyin

No that is not what happened to me, I am quite capable of following directions,as well as speaking for myself. No insert was there. We also had several discussions about them. I have never messed with the 013 but have owned the 008, 010 and 012, all were similar and none offer any security with STI stock triggerguards.

Seriously, the only people that claim Safarilands work with STI/SVI trigger guards are those who have one listed for sale or will soon be listing one for sale, They do work ok with the traditional steel round triggerguards on 1911's and Para,s

I was replying to this quote where you said they don't work. Which is not true and bad info. They work just fine.

So your saying security?? You mean locking mechanism?

Flyin

I know several people (GMs) who use the 013 and 012 with STI and SVI. I just have not had the time to talk with them on how to adjust it correctly. My SV with a steel frame does not seem very secure in it. My Open SV has some real issues. So I believe it is me and not the holster. I just do not have much experience with it.

ok help please needed with safariland 013 and my sti steel master (2011 frame). like the very first post, i see nothing in the way of an insert that is removable. there appear to be two pieces of plastic riveted together that are about 4" long. there isn't enough space in front of the left and right springed retainers for the front of my trigger guard to fit (from left to right it fits, just not from front to back). i'm thinking about 1/8" maybe needs to be removed, but there is definitely no small piece of plastic that (i can tell) can simply be removed.

in the absence of miraculously finding this removable insert, thinking i could just file down the piece on the holster that the front of my sti's trigger guard rests against?

help, suggestions, etc appreciated!!

here's a pic, the place where i have the pencil point is what i'm talking about. this comes back too far so that the space between this and the spring loaded trigger guard catches isn't deep enough for the thickness of the front of the STI's trigger guard. i don't see anything small that can be removed. could/should i just file this down a little? thanks again.

post-27492-044681600 1288892584_thumb.jp

ok i'm an idiot also so disregard above. the removable "piece" they must have been referring to is the 2" long thin/flat piece of plastic that sits below the trigger guard assembly. still doesn't seem like the most secure fit but i'm still playing with the retention adjustments.

i realize this is all personal preference, but what is your thought re whether the gun is perpendicular to your side or perhaps canted in, and whether the gun is vertical up and down or tilted forward or backward. also, where typically worn on holster, at the 90% mark from belly button or forward or back from there?

i'm new to all this so just some super basic questions...

thanks again, david

I was replying to this quote where you said they don't work. Which is not true and bad info. They work just fine.

So your saying security?? You mean locking mechanism?

Flyin

It's not bad info nor is it untrue, you may have a different opinion and thats fine to each his own. If I had an unmodified STI triggerguard I wouldnt waste time or money with this series of holsters. There were several discussions about this a couple years ago and quite a few people agreed with me, do a search and read the threads before sinking money into one of these. maybe the 13 is different, but the 008-012 all seemed to be about the same.

ok i'm an idiot also so disregard above. the removable "piece" they must have been referring to is the 2" long thin/flat piece of plastic that sits below the trigger guard assembly. still doesn't seem like the most secure fit but i'm still playing with the retention adjustments.

i realize this is all personal preference, but what is your thought re whether the gun is perpendicular to your side or perhaps canted in, and whether the gun is vertical up and down or tilted forward or backward. also, where typically worn on holster, at the 90% mark from belly button or forward or back from there?

i'm new to all this so just some super basic questions...

thanks again, david

I like mine on the side of my hip. I don't like it forward at all because on any stage where you have it sit down it make it hard. It also makes it hard when picking anything up from the ground like brass. I like the muzzle slightly forward and the grip angled back but only slightly. One thing I would recommend is getting the Arrendondo muzzle platform. It helps and I also like the look of it much more. It says its for the 012 but it also works on the 013. Also don't forget you can adjust the height of the holster. It can be adjusted below your belt or up to your hip.

muzzle platform

The platform that comes with it works but depending on your comp it can be a tight fit.

One thing I always do is everytime I bend down I hold onto the gun even with the 013. Just because it has a lock doesn't mean it will always work. That is with any of the holsters. Limcat, Ghost or whatever. Plenty of guns dropped from locked holsters.

Flyin

It's not bad info nor is it untrue, you may have a different opinion and thats fine to each his own. If I had an unmodified STI triggerguard I wouldnt waste time or money with this series of holsters. There were several discussions about this a couple years ago and quite a few people agreed with me, do a search and read the threads before sinking money into one of these. maybe the 13 is different, but the 008-012 all seemed to be about the same.

Gotta, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were saying 013 didn't work with STI or SVI but you were just stating your opinion. No problem.

FYI The 013 is basically same trigger block as the 012 but with an added locking mechanism.

Flyin

here's a pic, the place where i have the pencil point is what i'm talking about. this comes back too far so that the space between this and the spring loaded trigger guard catches isn't deep enough for the thickness of the front of the STI's trigger guard. i don't see anything small that can be removed. could/should i just file this down a little? thanks again.

DAVSCO,

Great picture. You are right. I am having the same problem with mine. Perhaps I will see Scott Carnnahan next week and I will ask him. Or the dude from Kodiak Precisiion.

You don't remove any material. The trigger guard doesn't go behind anything. It pushes against those "tangs" sticking out. Take a pen and push against them. The part that holds the gun comes out when you push them in.

Dug this up to better explain it

AM

You guys are missing how the locking block works. The front of the trigger guard doesn't go behind anything - those "petals" you see are tabs that push out the retention mechanism, which comes around the back side of the front of the trigger guard. Even without extra tension on the tension screw, it actually holds the gun pretty solidly (though I can understand where you'd get the impression it doesn't). I ran around for years w/ a 009 (same locking block), including RO'ing shooters, etc - never dropped a gun out of the holster. The only holster I've had that problem with is the Ghost, if its unlocked (still haven't dropped one while RO'ing or anything, but have dropped one when the gun wasn't in the holster solid). Crank down the tension, and you've got something that's actually more solid than a locked CR Speed holster, but not quite as solid as a locked Ghost - and you can still draw out of it.

The shim sits between the locking block and the aluminum (or kydex, in the case of older models) body of the holster. It adds height to the thinner trigger guard guns in about the same height as an S_I trigger guard. This puts the locking mechanism in the right spot, assuming that none of the rest of the holster is interfering w/ your gun. Chuck described how to remove it - you have to take the locking block out, and the shim comes right off/out.

All that said - you really can't expect a race holster to be a kydex DOH. They're different animals entirely...

Flyin