Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to start a new club?

Rowdy-Finn

I have shot competitively for the last 15 yrs. Knob Creek, USPSA, 3-gun and Cowboy. Have a local range that has no action-pistol program but seems like they are ripe for someone to come in and start a program. I'd like to be that guy and steer them towards USPSA pistol matches. Simple stages at first but just get something going. How do I pursue this?

D,

Go to the USPSA website, they have info on what is needed to start a USPSA club. Of course you can bypass all the USPSA stuff (rules; targets etc.) and run USPSA/IPSC type matches but there would be no benefit to USPSA and to the shooters that may want to get classified and shoot in a upper level match where USPSA membership is required.

You have the personality to get at least ten shooters to become USPSA members :cheers:

So you have some work to do but remember how fun it is to shoot USPSA matches :D

One day I'll be out in your area and hopefully be able to shoot with you again.

B B)

You are in a great State for USPSA !!!! Get 10 shooters that are USPSA members to sign the form and get it to our Section Coordinator, Bill S., to approve and then it will be sent to HQ. We just got one up and running at Caswell Ranch in North Central NC 2 months ago and are having a great time, best of luck and when gas prices get better we will drive out and join you, all the best, John

D,

Go to the USPSA website, they have info on what is needed to start a USPSA club. Of course you can bypass all the USPSA stuff (rules; targets etc.) and run USPSA/IPSC type matches but there would be no benefit to USPSA and to the shooters that may want to get classified and shoot in a upper level match where USPSA membership is required.

You have the personality to get at least ten shooters to become USPSA members :cheers:

So you have some work to do but remember how fun it is to shoot USPSA matches :D

One day I'll be out in your area and hopefully be able to shoot with you again.

B B)

Hey B,

I looked at the site but didn't see anything. Maybe I'll just call them.

Hope everything'g going good for you out there. What happened to Don T.? I never see him on results?

Why would you ever be coming out here?

DK

You are in a great State for USPSA !!!! Get 10 shooters that are USPSA members to sign the form and get it to our Section Coordinator, Bill S., to approve and then it will be sent to HQ. We just got one up and running at Caswell Ranch in North Central NC 2 months ago and are having a great time, best of luck and when gas prices get better we will drive out and join you, all the best, John

Thanks John. Yeah, I've shot out at Sir Walter Raleigh but it's a long drive for me! Shoot at US Training Center and it's only 45 mins. away, can't beat that facility! I have a local range that has some guys that I think would have fun but I think they are maybe kind of intimidated to go to UST (Blackwater). Thought I'd try and help them get something going on their home turf.

Dave

The quick version is...

- Get the packet from USPSA

- Get current USPSA members to sign the petition.

- Then get your Section Coordinator to sign off as well.

- Run 8+ monthly matches at your club per yr.

cool.gif

Thanks for the concise formula! Looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks John. Yeah, I've shot out at Sir Walter Raleigh but it's a long drive for me! Shoot at US Training Center and it's only 45 mins. away, can't beat that facility! I have a local range that has some guys that I think would have fun but I think they are maybe kind of intimidated to go to UST (Blackwater). Thought I'd try and help them get something going on their home turf.

Dave

It's the do'ers like you that make the sport as great as it is, on behalf of the NC shooters, thanks

Dave

It's the do'ers like you that make the sport as great as it is, on behalf of the NC shooters, thanks

Thank you for the kind word's! We'll see what happens?

Go to the EAGC website and contact Alan Lavender and/or Mark Kauder. I'm sure they will share the hands-on practical aspects of what they had to go through to achieve what you are interested in doing.

A-G

Is is www.eagc.com?

Along with all the other great tips is to ensure that you have a solid supply/group of helpers. Nothing ends a club faster than not enough help.

Yeah, you got that right! Nothing like seeing the same group of guys haul everything out and set it up and the other group of guys who can't seem to pull themselves away from their little gum-flappin' session's long enough to help.