Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan 9mm Feeding issues

Boxerglocker

I ran my Spartan 9mm for the first time in a match today, ESP IDPA. I had a hell of a time with feeding issues with my Tripp 10 rounders, with .500X basepads, pretty much all 4 of them. When loaded to capacity there doesn't seem to be enough tension on the front side of the follower to keep the nose of the first, or at times second bullet up to feed into the chamber. You can see as you load from the sixth bullet up to capacity that the nose of each bullet ge progressively higher and higher. The 10th round appears be inline with the feed lips, but once inserted into the gun and the slide is released. The bullet nose dives into the frame, causing severe setback of the round as the slide moves forward.

I'm loading a PD 124 at 1.135 OAL. The problem appears to aleaviate itself when downloaded down to 7-8 rounds but even then, once or twice it still happened. Really killed my score today, though I did get alot of bill drill practice.

I have been able to recreate it several times using dummy rounds but am at a lost as to what to do about it. Any ideas?

Unfortunatly you've run into one of the most common issues when trying to run the shorter OAL 9mm rounds in a gun that was designed for a longer OAL .45.

Check your feed lips on your mags, if they're too wide that'll cause what you're experiencing. Also, loading to a longer OAL will usually help too. I've heard of guys getting +10% mag springs to combat the same issue in Tanfoglio guns. Tripp's are usually pretty stout springs though and tend to be about the best one's out there for 9mm 1911's, might want to check that you don't somehow have .40 or .38s follower in there or something weird like that?

What sometimes helps is if you take out the mag spring and put an upward-bend on the end 1/2" of the top coil against the follower so it puts a bit more force towards the front of the follower to hold the noses of the rounds up.

Sadly, while the 9mm 1911 IMO is one of the funnest platforms you can shoot, also happens to be one of the hardest to make run right. Makes me wonder why no one's tried really making a true designed-for-9mm 1911, like a full-size, perfected Springfield EMP...

Edited by ck1

Put a slight bend up on the spring just under the nose of the follower.

I had to cut two coils off my Wilson mags to get them to run in my Trojan along with the slight bend under the follower.

I usually put a drop of oil on the feed ramp also, and yes it mirror polished.

I don't think you can over oil a 1911 but you can under oil it. I'll use Mobil 1 5w30 putting it in a needle oiler. I'll also put a small amount across from the extractor along with the slide stop.

My gun likes 1.135 to 1.140 OAL anything short I'll get an occasional stovepipe.

Is it a hollow/flat pount? ive had to switch to a Montana gold HP, or round nose, and BBI 147 gr lead flat points to feed well. Zero, and Remingtons with 10 Rd mags dont work for me. 9rd springfield mags work perfect with anything ive tried.

I called Tripp and he suggested new recoil springs, or mag springs and the recoil spring helped a little. Its still not 100% though with the mentioned bullets.

Thanks for the advise so far... most of it makes sense and I'll start experimenting with a longer OAL and making a bend on the mag spring.

I'm running a standard Precision Delta FMJ which is a little pointy on the ogive. What OAL would you guys suggest?

I load my 9mm out to 1.17 in my gun. I've got my Pro Carry with KKM 9mm barrel and I'm just using the 10mm Metalform mags for 9mm. Hand cycles so far but I'll have to hit the range in a few days. For any 1911 gun, loading closest to the .45's OAL will make feeding much more reliable (also why the 10mm's OAL is based off the .45's).

Thanks for the advise so far... most of it makes sense and I'll start experimenting with a longer OAL and making a bend on the mag spring.

I'm running a standard Precision Delta FMJ which is a little pointy on the ogive. What OAL would you guys suggest?

Are your mags the 9mm mags with spacers or 38 super mags with out spacers? I would run longer than 1.135. I run 1.150 which is short for most but it works in my guns. Also make sure that the feed ramp is polished A LOT! I know the Spartan's don't have a ramped barrel but you can still polish feed area of the barrel. Make sure your mags are clean, with a SS specific mag brush so that the follower can move freely. The bend at the front of the follower in the spring is a good idea.

Edited by steel1212

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this just to see if anyone has any load advice. I just got a 9mm 1911 and it doesn't appear that it's going to like the same load that my M&P uses and that I'm going to have to load longer. How much longer? Corey says 1.150". Is that what is going to be necessary to avoid the nosedive?