Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What velocity is your 55 grain ammo?

assaulter

I've never gave a lot of concern to what velocity I was getting other than an indicator of pressure. I was using xm 193 for 3gun matches this year, but I think for next year I'll do my own. My accurate load with 55's are getting 2900 which is pretty slow compared to the 3200 fps I was getting with factory ammo. That's about another 13" drop at 500 yards. I'm going to stick with 55's for now to keep it simple. I have loads for 69's and 75's but it's a pain keeping three different zeros. So what are you getting from your 55's?

yes i did . . .

but when I've chronoed at Piru & Pala in the month leading up to the Nationals i was a consistent 3150 to 3125.

I've clocked them as high as 3200

even here indoors with corrected lighting i'm getting over 3100. . . .

after looking at my scores I'm convinced my guns don't like Vegas

3100, which is factory 55gr.

All I pretty much shoot is my handloaded 75's tho, which are ~2700. I only shoot the cheap 55's on the close hoser stages, or if no targets are over 100 yds.

I plan on switching to 69's once I use up all my 75's... and use that acorss the course for matches, which I plan around 2800, last time I loaded some.

55's running 2819 to match the drops in my scope.

and Burris XTR,, in 7.62 the drops work out well,, out to 600. I can get good hits.

Oh but past 200 I shoot 69's over the same powder load, A2230 24.1 Gr and the dropps work for them too.

16 inch barrel..

Tyro!!!!!! HA too funny ""I'm convinced my guns don't like Vegas""" :goof:

I thought it is that guns are afraid of the Buzzer on the,, timer, seeing they only seem to Puke, during competitions. :wacko:

Jim M ammo

With a 55 gr V Max and h335 in once fired cases I'll get 3050-3100. Thats on the "hot" side. My blasting load is @2900 in mixed brass.

I would hate to have a primer come out during a match. I use a lot of silver bear for the close hoser stuff. fwiw

now getting an average of 2950 with 55gr hdy fmj out of 16" S&W carbine (1/7 twist, chrome lined). it's a bit on the slow side compared to xm193 (at least when that crap isn't blowing primers into the trigger group) but I shoot mostly inside of 100 yds and load mixed headstamp so I'm happy to keep powder charges sedate. difference between 2950 and 3100 is (for me) not meaningful, although i'm also shooting more and more 22lr in a conversion for practice up close.

-jared