Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 646

Deuce

My dealer is working on getting me one of these ... hopefully I'll get it within a couple weeks. The distributor said they had some in stock, but, my dealer has to go thru a bunch of BS to buy from them (he doesn't normally buy from them).

I'm not looking to go all-out here ... I just want a revo that, at some point, I can use for USPSA and, possibly, IDPA.

This 646 is a 4".

I'm thinkin' a Blade-tech or Hillsman drop-n-offset (if that's not legal for IDPA, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it).

I'm hopin' to get plenty of moon clips with it as I presume they're in short supply. But, anyone know of any combination that would work well ... if any. I've never done the moon thing so I have no clue. All I know is my buddy went through that recently with his 625 and pretty-much everything he bought the first time around was junk and he returned it all. I presume I'm gonna need a good mooner-de-mooner ... would that be special for .40sw?

I don't intend to reload until my 4mo-old is at least 16yrs-old.

Now, presuming I've got the DOH, what can I do about carrying loaded moon clips on my belt for USPSA? I've seen a guy use a Cabela's-type belt with cartridge loops, but, I don't know that .40 belts are plentiful. I've also seen those kinda tin and white-plastic hangers where I think the clips can just ride on 'em ... do they have any kind of retention or is it just gravity? Or am I way off?

I'm in no rush. I intend to send the thing into the PC for a trigger-job and a fiber front sight so I figure that'll eat up a couple months. If all works out, I might give 'er a run sometime this summer.

Thanks for the help.

Deuce, I am not familiar with the 646. I know that the 640 is a five shot J Frame in a 357 and the 642 I believe is in 38 special but not sure. As far as a demooner I use a golf club that I wasn't very happy with. Which could be any of them cause I suck at golf. I cut the shaft at the point that will allow the round to fit into the handle and leave a small extention at the end so I simply twist the round out of the moon clip. As far as putting the rounds in the clip I just use my fingers unless it is real tight. Then pliers work well. The best pliers are the automatic ones that sears has that adjust to the size needed, closer to a channel lock than pliers. Wish I could help more but... my meds is wearin off.

Deuce,

Take a look at www.kytac.com for you holster. They are great for IPSC and IDPA approved. Those clip holders that you refer to work great. Most ICORE shooters use them. If you cant find moonclips to suit you please feel free to contact me by email. Dave Hearth

Before you buy, be advised Moon clips are very pricey for this model and there are only a few making them. The 610 offers more options on a heavier frame that will also shoot 10MM. Original 646 was a Performance center gun and I felt it was too light for competition shooting but you may feel differently.

As far as a holster etc for this, contact Mike Benedict at Talontactical.com and see what he can do. I have several of his holsters and I have been very pleased.

Best regards,

Gary

Duece

I have a 646, 610 & 625. The 646 doesn't seem to be well suited to IPSC competition. It's a little too light. The 4" 610 would be a better choice, IMHO. I like my 646, it's a beautiful little gun. But if I could only have one, It would be my 610.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help!

I'm still waitin' on my 646 ... my dealer had a death in the family so that's held things up. Probably be at least a couple more weeks yet.

I'm really not a big revolver guy. I've got a 686, 629, 60, and a Vaquero ... but, everyone's gotta have those ... right? ;)

I understand your points about the 610 being better. I thought about a 610, but I really don't like shooting shorts in a long chamber ... mostly 'cause of the build-up. I think I'm getting a pretty good price in a brand new Ltd Ed 646 and I've been thinking about trying revolver for USPSA and IDPA ... it just seemed like the right thing to do. Even if I could, I don't think I'd change my order now.

When it finally arrives I'll be sure to put all the links and advice to good use.

Hey Dave, what are those "hangers" called? Any idea where I can find 'em? If they make 'em for the 610, I wonder if they'd fit?

For that matter, wouldn't any clip for the 610 fit the 646? I'm not up on the 610 so if it's a beefier cylinder, you only need to say so. ;)

Thanks again.

I am a former 646 owner. The 646 is an L frame titanium cylinder bored to 40 cal. The rest of the gun is steel. I was planning to use it for IDPA and some revolver side matches my club has.

Comments:

1. Grip too small for good control. I have large, but not monsterous sized hands.

2. Gun is very light. I shot some factory 180's and they were tolerable, but not overly comfortable.

3. The 646 comes with six moonclips. Three clips that are .034" thick and three that are .040 thick. The revolver is very sensitive to case size and some rounds didn't want to go off. You can buy extra moon clips from Brownells for about $35 for 10 of one size. They're currently out of stock on both sizes.

4. If you lighten the action, you will have to go with the thicker clips and use only Federal primers (softest). A friend lightened his trigger and ran into many problems with failures to ignite.

5. Since the 646 is an L frame, 610 clips will not work. N frame holster are also a little loose.

Overall it was a nice revolver...but I sold it and bought my old 625 back. Moonclips are plentiful and inexpensive and I haven't had a single failure in two years of revolver matches.

YMMV. Feel free to email me if you need any other info.