Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000, 158gr Berry's and 125 power factor

RowdyOne

I chrono'd 12 rounds at 3.8 grains and 12 at 4.1 grains(was going for 4.0, but the powder bar settled in at 4.1) out of my 686 last night. From the 3.8 load I got an average of 711fps, 27.09 SD and an extreme spread of 102. The 4.1 load got 757 average FPS, 25.2 SD and an extreme spread of 89. I need 791fps for 125 power factor. I would like to be in the 825-850fps(130-135PF).

My Solo lot is 1930, which seems to be the slow batch. I am loading on a 550 with Dillon dies except the seating die(Redding Competition). I am using mixed brass and Federal small pistol primers.

My questions to start are...

Published loads stop at 4.0 grains of Solo. How much can I push it? Is it crazy to try 4.3 and 4.5?

What can I do to tighten up my standard deviation and extreme spread? My 9mm minor load with titegroup have extremes of 30-50 and standard deviations of 10-12 over 30 round strings.

I would like to avoid titegroup because of the heat that it generates.

Thanks!

I havent tried Solo1000 yet for my 38 special, but I dont see why it wouldnt be ok, especially with the 2/2/2010 1930 lot that it the slowest Ive seen +.4gr difference in my loads to make same power.

Are there any pressure signs ? Do the empties come out of the cylinder ok ?

FWIW, in my 9mm, the higher the charge, the lower my SD/ES got with Solo 1000.

All loads Ive seen on the forum for Solo 1000 were above published loads. Im actually using Clays for my IDPA SSR load right now, and its a good bit above published, but I worked it up in my gun over a chrono, so I feel ok using it. (it is lower than some postings Ive read here too) Makes 135pf with a 158gr LRN.

Edited by DWFAN

My jug of Solo, same lot, 1930 takes more than the older one also while I'm shooting minor nine it's the same problem. I've used about six pounds out of the jug and have another.

Just do the Chrono work and check primers. I'm not seeing any pressure problems and am please with recoil and accuracy.

What I am seeing is right along with what you have seen in 9mm.

Haven't tried Solo in 38 special but worked well in 45acp with a 230 cast bullet, shooting in in a 625.

I started at 3.4 gr Solo1000 (no lot # sticker) worked up 8 loads and finally found 4.5 gr with Berry's 158, 1.475"OAL for 18 shots at 12 feet gave 829 fps SD = 12, PF = 130.

Everything between 3.4 gr and 4.2 gr was terrible, huge SDs (~20s-40s). I had to tighten the crimp a bit to help the SD settle down; I had started with minimal crimp.

Solo 1000 is a relatively fast powder so take alot of care if your gonna push the max. You will get alot of pressure fast causing primer cup piercing not to mention some sharp recoil. If your having problems getting your velocity than you should try a little slower powder like HP-38. Also makes a softer felt recoil with a 158gr than hot loads of faster powders.

I use 158 grain LRN and shoot 4.0 grains of Solo 1000. I also use 4 trains with my 180 grain bullets and shoot them at 145 power factor but they shoot real well. I've tested up to 4.5 with the 180 grain bullets with no problems.

I would have no problems shooting that load with plated bullets. Look for pressure signs. If the cases come out easily and you don't have blown primers you are pretty safe to go.

I'm using 4.4 grains Solo 1000 at 1.500 with Berry's 158 gr DS, Wolf primers. Av 839, SD is high at 24, PF 132. At 4.6 grains my Av was 861 to 871, SD 18 for 137 PF. Solo Lot # 1624, 10.15.08. No primer issues or pressure signs that I can see. These were my first 38 special reloads out of a Carmonized S&W 67-6.

Edited by cyberiad