Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skin peeling from Moly?

bbbean

I started running moly (Precision and BBI) bullets this year, and have noticed that whenever I spend much time at all reloading, the skin on my fingers will peel for several days after. I'm not using any other different chemicals reloading, cooking, or otherwise, so I'm pretty sure its some sort of reaction to the moly. Has anyone else experienced this? Short of wearing gloves while I reload is there an easy fix?

How many rounds is "much time" ? Ive loaded 500 BBI molys at a time and not had anything noticable with peeling.

500-1000 in a day or two. My press is at the office, and when things get slow or at the end of the day, I run in the back and reload for 45-90 minutes at a time. If I do this a few days in a row, I'm good for a week or two of shooting.

I loaded about 300 rounds of Moly bullets (first time I ever reloaded anything) and I noticed the same thing. The skin on my index finger right at the top corner where you would grip the bullet against the thumb peeled. Funny thing is the thumb did not peel. Have not reloaded again yet to see if it happens again but I will probably wear latex gloves from now on anyway.

If you are going to go with gloves, might be better to go with the nitrile gloves...they are synthetic latex and so many people have or eventually develop latex allergies. Little more expensive but better quality and less of a chance of reactions...

I did actually notice the same thing with the few hundred I loaded, but attributed it to other things....

I'm more worried about the smoke though and have decided to stick with jacketed.

I did actually notice the same thing with the few hundred I loaded, but attributed it to other things....

I'm more worried about the smoke though and have decided to stick with jacketed.

If your press is smoking... I'd slow down your loading process!

Ohhhhhhhh, you mean when you shoot em?

Mine don't smoke too bad, shooting Solo 1000.

Jeff

Have not had any issues (which is odd actually because I am typically hyper-sensitive to such things) but agree gloves should help. Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest place to get them and they typically carry latex and nitrile. They'll be in the pharmacy with the bandages, etc.

If you are going to go with gloves, might be better to go with the nitrile gloves...they are synthetic latex and so many people have or eventually develop latex allergies. Little more expensive but better quality and less of a chance of reactions...

i think nitrile is the way to go, i wear one on my left hand whenever I'm handling bullets at the press (usually when doing smaller runs or developing test loads, i got spoiled with a mr. bulletfeeder and use that for most of the high volume stuff). i find nitrile easier to put on/off than latex.

while it may not be necessary to wear gloves, the anecdote I've always heard about toxic materials is "dosage makes the poison." you may be getting very little toxic materials into your system by simple handling of projectiles, but I do it a <whole lot> so even if it's just a tiny bit in and of itself, it may add up over time (and I'd like to be around for a while longer...)

I've been loading and using moly bullets for over 5 years, and selling them for the last two. I have never had any skin reactions from them, nor have I ever had a customer complain.

I guess there's a first time for everything.

The moly used in most bullets is more of a plastic/polymer coating anyway.

Edited by twodownzero