Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shooters what is your optic set up?

Alaskapopo

COM also does a good open kydex holster, Busyhawk has one and really likes it. Doug

Do they actually make a kydex holster for open guns, or are you talking about heating and cutting a normal kydex holster?

I know that my buddy Scott has one made by COM that he uses for his Open pistol. As far as I know he did not have to cut and heat it. It looks pretty slick, I might get one for my Caspian when I get some money.

JJ, I got to borrow a Ghost holster a few weeks ago when I forgot my gear going to a match. Lock up was very solid, but my Caspian wiggled a little in it. With a barrel cup it would do the trick. It just feels funny to me having my gun hanging out in the breeze at a 3 gun match.

Doug

I think MOST of the guys that make holsters from Kydex sheets use rubber guns to mold the Kydex around. I had a guy at a match in Mesa AZ make one for my old 40cal open pistol, it still works. BUT, he had to have the pistol to mold the Kydex to...

With the great number of differences that open pistols have, (comps, scope mounts, thumb rests, etc) it may be quite difficult to make a "standard" holster for them...

I would call COM and see what they have, they are great to work with.

jj

I also have a old Caspian .38 super that I use as my open pistol. I took a BladeTech holster that I had laying around and hit it with some heat, got out the Dremel and made myself a holster. Works good and feels more secure to me (just my opinion JJ) than my high speed rigs. COM also does a good open kydex holster, Busyhawk has one and really likes it. If you need high cap mags for the Caspian(I get 29 rounds), contact Higher Capacity, I have one and it works perfect.

Doug

Doug do you have a link to Com. I have not heard of them. Also could you post a pic of your holster if you have time.

pat

I use a 1.5-6 Burris or a 1.5-9 Valdata, depending on my moods....but with both I use a 45* mounted JPoint. I have it mounted up close at about the same eye relief as the primary optic on a Burkett mount. I also used a 45* JPoint in Limited division at this year's nationals (with precision irons on top). I just like the 45* reddot. The learning curve was nothing really to mention, just shot it a few times and it seemed natural. I usually go to the primary at about 25 yards, depending on how tight the shots are.

For my pistol I use a Ghost, but I did add a barrel cup to it for more support. It's learning curve was also nothing really to mention. The security it provides when locked is exactly the ticket in 3 gun. Put the lock back and flick it with your middle finger to unlock when its time to draw. Need more security? Add a STRONG rubber band to the lock lever (down to the bottom of the holster frame) to help hold it in the down and locked position. Need even more security? Lock the lever UP and flick it with your thumb to draw. You can even put the rubberband around the front of the holster to help hold the lever in the up and locked position. No worrying about a dropped pistol. Doug has heard me say this before; In 3 gun I have seen more pistols dropped out of Kydex type friction holsters than any other holster, so "buyer beware"...I've used one before in Open, but just didn't like having to worry about the pistol possibly dropping all the time...I do use a Sherpa with a level 2 positive lock for my 1911 in HeMan. Fast draws are not gonna be the deciding factor in winning a 3 gun match, but a dropped pistol just may be...so I think the added insurance of a locking holster is worth it.

jj

Where can I get a barrel cup for my Ghost?

Pat

Where can I get a barrel cup for my Ghost?

Pat

I dunno, I had to make one...Its not that hard...with some aluminum and pieces and parts from Home Depot, a drill press, some flat black paint...I had one in a couple of hours.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Open class I use a Vortex 2.5-10 Viper PST W/Moa reticle and a 45 mounted Fastfire.

Seems to work fine.

Nick

Hi Nick. When do you use which sight. Do you use the Fastfire inside 50 yards, 25 yards? etc. Also on your Viper have you ever used the 10x in a match? Thanks for your time.

pat

Hey Pat,

Usually the fastfire is 50yds max with wide open targets. Anything tight and I'll go to the scope. 25 and less it's fastfire all the way.

I've been forced to use the scope once at 20yds and it wasn't a problem.

I did use 10x at the USPSA Multigun match on the long stage.

At the Ozarks and FNH match I was somewhere around 5-8x on the longer stages.

I can't remember now but I possibly used 10x on Stage 9 at the Ozarks match.

It depends on how far apart the targets are.

Nick

Here is a shot of my rig.

Doug

post-8887-020408300 1287195761_thumb.jpg

Sweet thanks Doug. Also I like the way your C more is mounted. What kind of mount do I need to do that?

Pat

Either a Quinn 2 or a Cheely mount will give the 90 degree mount for the dot. Do a search under the open gun section and you will have lots to read about them.

Here is a shot of my rig.

Doug

post-8887-020408300 1287195761_thumb.jpg

Sweet thanks Doug. Also I like the way your C more is mounted. What kind of mount do I need to do that?

Pat

It's a Quinn II and it has been great for me. I had a hard time finding the dot with regular mount but this one shoots like my limited gun.

Doug