Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin is stuck!

GunslingerDK

In yesterdays match I had 5 FTF's, which is a lot in one day! The gun is a Witness Limited small frame 9mm. Primers are RWS. I have the Henning X-long firing pin, and have never had FTF's before (okay maybe 5 in 10.000 rounds, which I believe lies in the Magtech primers). Another Witness shooter suggested I had dirt in the firing pin hole. So I decided to remove the pin and clean it when I got home. Easier said than done! The pin won't come out?! When you press the pin and remove the back plate it's supposed to come out on its own, but it doesn't... it just sits there stubbonly. I tried soaking in oil and blowing out the gunk with an air gun, that didn't help (although some gunk came out). I removed the extractor as well...

Why is my firing pin stuck? And what can I do?

I had this happen on an svi gun, the firing pin was bent. definately don't want to have the firing pin sticking out of the breechface. You could have a kaboom, or an open bolt/slide machine gun. take the firing pin out and roll it on a flat surface and keep an eye on the tip.

Is the firing pin block that cylinder locking mechanism thingy?!? If it is, I did some changes to it to make it fit when I got Hennings x-long firing pin.

Besides, Hennings firing pin is hardend so I find it hard to believe that it is bend after 8000 rounds when the original one has shot 20.000+

Shooterbenedetto is right, the firing pin safety needs to be taken out when using the Henning firing pin. This is likely to be the problem you are having with FTF's also.

Once you have the pin out, take out the firing pin safety and leave it out, you don't need it for the gun to function and will find it runs perfectly from then on.

Argh....that sucks. Your firing pin Block should not be used with the Henning firing pins. You may have to break the firing pin block....you will not break the pin if you do it correctly. I tried using a 9mm OEM pin with my .22 kit,...although the firing pin recess/slot for the FPB to move is nearly identical,...I still ran into problems and it got stuck....SOOOO,....I removed the rear sight. (remove screw on top of rear sight)...then remove the little screws that help keep the sight in the frame. Then remove the rear sight. YOu MAY or MAY NOT have access to it then...Ie: to move the FPB to help get the pin clearance. I did not have great movement on the .22 kit slide,...but I removed the thin metal that partially covered the FPB. I then hammered the FPB and it broke. The firing pin was not damaged and came out easily. It now works flawlessly, with out the FPB. Lesson here,...toss the FPB.

Before trying to rotate it again to get it out I would throw in the freezer for a few hours to see if that will shrink things enought to allow for a little more movement. All are correct though, you do NOT want the FPB in there....

Looks like I got a project on my hands. Unfortunately I did not read anything about leaving the firing pin block out when using Hennings Firing pin.

I will try removing the sight and see where it gets me. If all else fails I'll just have to drill the block out... doesn't matter if I break it since I won't need it again.

Thanks for the help guys....

I couldn't even get the Henning XL firing pin in with the FPB in-place. Well, I could have if I did a lot of juggling and jiggling to get the two of them to clear each other enough for installation. My guess is that if you had to do some manipulations to get the firing pin in with the FPB, you'd have to reverse that set of manipulations to get it back out.