Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Consistency..how Do You Achieve Yours?

Paladin

This is an age-old challenge and I see people use specially made grips,tapes. markings on thier hands etc.but the best one for me has been knowing how my fingers relate to each other during the grip.

For me I use 2 relationships or reference point: 1. my support hand index finger's 3rd joint (inside) making contact with my strong hand middle finger's 2nd joint (outside) 2. The fingernail of my strong hand middle finger making contact with the inside of the base of my support hand's thumb. I find that even when the initial grip is flawed I can adjust into my optimal grip by establishing this relationship.

When you get down to it, only two things matter:

1) How well your gun indexes on the draw

2) Where your front sight goes after you pull the trigger

All other considerations are really distractions from the goal.

I really never gave it a thought. When I am aware that I have a poor grip, I just go with it until I move to another spot or do a reload unless I am about to drop the gun, lol. I suppose being able to adjust the grip between the grab and the first shot is an important skill, but I haven't gone down that road.

I have to agree with Ron...don't give it to much thought. I have noticed that I do make micro adjustments prior to the first shot breaking, in order to ensure a perfect grip for the rest of the stage. Hence my somewhat slow first shot times. Whatever works...

I don't really think about it either, but I am aware, from time to time of my grip feeling absolutely perfect.

The references Paladin points out are pretty much the same for me, though I can't say I try to notice them.

When that grip is realised, I feel relaxed and the shooting becomes totally effortless.

P.D.

Well I thought I had a good grip a few years back until I had Frank Gacia correct me. He put my hands in the right position and drew lines on my hands. I kept them there for about 2 weeks, and when I practiced I would hold the gun making sure the lines were lined up. After 2 weeks I new by feel when I didn't have the right grip, and now it is a feel thing. Just holding your gun wth proper form is a good part of your dryfire practice.

L2S:

I agree with what you say. Matt Burkett draws index lines on Kevin's (his pupil) hands in one of his films. I practice getting a good grip everytime I draw.

What I am talking about is when the buzzer goes off in a match. I think it would take longer to screw around trying to make adjustments in search of the perfect grip during the draw stroke rather than just go for it. Maybe I am wrong.

I don't think your wrong at all. I think that using the visual reference for me helped. I would use it the verify my grip on the draw, as that is when you first establish it, and also after reloads. I see many people who have a good grip off the draw, but can not restablish it after a reload. I never think about my grip anymore, but then again I've done thousands and thousands of grip establishments since I figured out the correct grip. On the draw now I simply grab my blaster and look for targets to shoot, but having a verifyable reference, ie. lines drawn in the proper position, sure helped me establish the feel of the perfect position.

I can tell immediately if I screwed a draw or reload up by feel, because all the dry fire time with the correct grip placement.

Some one here suggested putting a little grip tape on the bottom of the trigger gaurd and that has really helped me make my weak hand position consistant. I was surprised how many different weak hand positions, thus feels, I got at first. It might be worth a try. Nate