Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Processed .223 brass, ready to load!

I've been using Scharch (AKA Top Brass) for years:

http://www.scharch.com/

Same here for the last 5 years.....never a issue.....It hasn't been $80 for many years :(

April 2007 to be exact....

Order#: 2972 Date/Time: 4/29/2007 11:17:14 AM

Coupon: Subtotal: $88.99

Shipping: $0.00

Total: $88.99

ORDER DETAIL

Line Item 1

1 8B223REMMY 223 Military Brass - 100%

Processed 1000 pieces $88.99

Edited by DrawandDuck

I think processing 223 brass is 70% of the work in loading. Also with Scharch the brass is pushed through a ring completely sizing the base of the cartridge, regular size die can't do that.

I wish I had a machine that could do that!!

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to measure the sized cases as you shoot them as they will grow.

If this is part of what you mean by "processing," I don't know of anyone who will trim and take care of case neck thickness for you.

i've got processed once fired brass for sale $110/1000 shipping included. This is polished, deprimed, primer pocket swaged, trimmed to 1.75", full-length resized and gauged with a dillon case gauge. primed with remington 7 1/2 for an extra $30. just to clarify, TJ's brass is processed through a scharch inspector/reamer, which does deprime, check for cracked necks, and ream the primer pocket but the case still needs to be re-sized and trimmed. pm me if you have any questions.

-jared

If this is part of what you mean by "processing," I don't know of anyone who will trim and take care of case neck thickness for you.

Processed is polished, decapped, primer crimp removed.

Custombrassprocessing.com will size and trim brass for you if you want to go that route. I've never bothered to trim .223. It wears out before it needs it.

I've never bothered to trim .223. It wears out before it needs it.

my $.02 - i think you can probably get away without trimming a lot of the time, especially if you are reloading cartridges you've already fired once in your own chamber and you've confirmed your headspace is good.

on the other hand, i've seen a ton of brass that was provided as once-fired which was already way over length (like a penny thickness or more sticking out of the end of my dillon gauge, and this stuff wouldn't even fit in a wilson gauge). likely that this stuff came out of military chambers (i.e. m249) or commercial firearms with way too much slop. if you just resize this, stuff in new primer, powder, and bullet, the bolt may or may not be able to stuff it all the way in the chamber when you release the bolt stop. you're probably better off if it won't chamber, because crimping .02" of brass into the bullet will up chamber pressures significantly - if it doesn't cause your bolt to fail, you're certainly taking a lot of rounds off its usable life.

accordingly, I just trim everything i put in my rifle unless it came out of a new factory sealed bag. some cartridges are already at or under spec, so they get nothing removed. others leave huge long threads of trimmed brass, telling my it was worth it to run that one through the trimmer ;)

edited to note: this was written with reloading for the AR in mind. if you're loading for a bolt gun, then you may have greater capacity to feel what kind of resistance you're getting when you try and chamber a round, and may be able to avoid just stuffing something into the chamber because you can feel when the case neck is being wedged into the projectile. on the other hand, i'd still argue you're better off trimming everything (or at least checking for cartridge length and manually trimming where needed).

Edited by jaredr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...