Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Target

Rangertim

I've been focusing alot more on dry firing in my basement. I've been using a black paster on the wall as my aiming point. I know many out there use the mini carboard metric targets for their dry fire practice. I'm curious if there is a reason to use one of those vs. a black paster, vs. something else. Does it help improve sight position in relation to an actual metric target? Thanks.

i use 1/3 scaled targets and print them on both brown and white paper. that way i can put up no shoots in various forms for a lil different training. i also put a paster in the top-middle of the Azone to enforce my aiming point to a smaller size. I like this better than just a paster onthe wall b/c at a match, we dont shoot at pasters on walls, we shoot at targets ;). Im used to pointing at a target and finding a smallish spot to even further my focus. Aim small, miss small. Plus, by using 1/3 sized targets (even when i stand at 15 feet to replicate a 15 yard shot) the full size ones at matches look HUGE :)

Here ya go.. give this a try.

Print it out.. tape it up. It's yours for free! :cheers:

I like cardboard better than paper. I just take a printed target and cut it out. I place it over cardboard and trace it and use a box cutter to cut it out. After I get what I need I just take the same paper cut out of the target and place of the cut cardboard target. I then just take a ball point pen and "pop" holes in the first layer of cardboard following the dotted lines on the paper target. This outlines the A,B, C and D zones. If you have trouble seeing them just push the pen a bit deeper. I just used a regular full size cardboard target to get my no shoots. Just flip it over and use the white. If you watch how you cut so the full size target perfs don't show up it can be reversible. I make enough

so that I can have hard cover targets as well.

Paper works fine but gets folded, ripped etc. I made dryfire targets using this method every single one is in perfect shape. Plus you can just throw some duct tape on the back and slap it on a wall and when you pull it off it doesn't hurt the target.

It took me about an hr to make around 20 targets. That includes no shoots, full target and hard cover partials.

Flyin

I also use scaled down (1/3) sized IPSC/USPSA targets. I think pasters are great for slow dry fire focused on trigger control, however I find that it is more difficult to practice draws, transitions and calling shots on those small targets. Additionally, I like aiming at similar targets to what I will actually be shooting at. You can print some out here also: http://glockfaq.com/targets.htm They also work for live fire :cheers:

CAZ

• 1 year later...