Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Protectors

Genghis

I have owned a number of different electronic ear protectors. I started with a pair of Radians, which are hands down my favorite pair. They blocked out the shot, but didn't interrupt conversation. After about two years, the electronics went kaput and the radians became non-electronic ear protectors.

I bought a second pair of Radians, and when I tried them on after buying them, the plastic headpiece broke in half. I took them back to the store.

Next I tried a pair of Howard Leight protectors. After a year or so, the electronics again stopped working. 

After that, I tried a pair of cheap $30 Caldwell electronic protectors. They llsted for quite a while, but again, the electronics went kaput. These did give the most bang for the buck. Or get rid of the most bang for the buck, I guess.

Recently, I bought a pair of Walker Alpha Power Muffs, and the plastic headpiece broke in half within a week.

I have to admit, I have not spent more than about $100 on ear protectors.

Should I just plan on buying a new set every year? It seems like no matter what brand I bought, or what kind of eye, something goes wrong with them. Usually usually it is the electronics. I know part of that is because I'm in a humid climate. Do the high-dollar muffs last longer? Suggestions?

It looks like you have spent more than $100.... :rolleyes: Try Pro Ears. I have the originals, bought when they first came on the scene, probably 12 or 15 years ago. They're as good today as when I bought them. Change batteries every couple of years.. I think you'll find that plenty of people here use them.

I would think manufacturers of electronic ear protection would test their products in the type of environment you subject them to (humid, high temp, etc, etc) if they offer any kind of warranty.

The next EEP you buy take note of the length of their warranty and hold onto that receipt. Contact them and see what they say.

I wanted to love electronic ear protection but never got the love in return. Peltor, Dillon and Pro-Ears all tanked on me at some point. The Pro-Ears worked the longest which is

good. I think I paid $300 or so for them. But they quit too. Gave up on muffs, besides they're really hot out here in the desert. I just wear those custom ear plugs that guy in the

vendor tent makes at major matches. Love them. I toss on a pair of cheap http://www.walmart.c...f-Black/9251895 on top of them before shooting/ RO'ing in tunnels

etc. So...there you go.

Jim

I wanted to love electronic ear protection but never got the love in return. Peltor, Dillon and Pro-Ears all tanked on me at some point. The Pro-Ears worked the longest which is

good. I think I paid $300 or so for them. But they quit too. Gave up on muffs, besides they're really hot out here in the desert. I just wear those custom ear plugs that guy in the

vendor tent makes at major matches. Love them. I toss on a pair of cheap http://www.walmart.c...f-Black/9251895 on top of them before shooting/ RO'ing in tunnels

etc. So...there you go.

Jim

Which guy in the vendor's tent makes the custom plugs? I've always thought those would be good.

While I am using a cheap pair of Caldwells, the ones I like the most(a buddy has several pair) are the Dillons. They have lasted years and years and will be what I will buy when my El Cheapo's die. With that said, I only wear muffs when RO'ing open shooters or if its cold out. I LOVE my custom molded plugs with filters....

I've used Peltors for both personal use at the range and for a year in Iraq. I have had great luck with both of them. They've been put through their paces involving dirt, sweat, and more rain than they ever should have seen. I've either been lucky or they are made as well as I expected them to be. I also have friends that love their MSA electronic muffs. Good Luck!

Howard Leight is what I'm using now. So far it's holding up good. I like the custom molded plugs awful well too. Probobly use each about the same. The muffs can get pretty warm when it's 90 or better outside. And heaven knows Kentucky has had plenty of them this summer. Gabe

I use the custom ear plugs ( got them in a shop in NC, but they are the same ones that you see in the booth at the Majors ), and I love them. When the temperature drops, I'll wear my MSA Sordins, they are fantastic. I had the Peltor behind the neck band ones, but after a few months of sweating in them, the circuits got all messed up and they started fading in and out. I'll use both the custom plugs and the Sordins when I'm RO'ing an Open shooter, but other than that, it's mostly the plugs.