Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr JHP load advice?

njl

I bought some 147gr Speer Gold Dots that seemed to be a good deal, but all I've ever loaded in 9mm is 124gr FMJ/CMJ/JHP.

I have the following "pistol" powders (in order of quantity on hand):

Universal Clays

WST

Clays

Which, if any, of these would you use, or would I be better off buying something else, perhaps WSF?

My concern is, I haven't seen published data for the latter two and 147gr bullets, and Universal looks like it's going to be questionable as to whether it can reliably make minor.

Ive only seen WST used in lead bullets for 9mm.. but you'll have to search around and be careful. My first choice would be Titegroup followed by Solo 1000.

Of what you have, universal may be the best choice.

Edited by DWFAN

4.0 of WSF shoots very well out of my G34 with several different 147 gr bullets. In my gun, Titegroup didn't do nearly as well as WSF.

I highly recommend AA#7.

Just to give you some reference. Out of my M&P9c which has 3.5" barrel same day here are some data: I

Just gonna list average velocities

Federal HST 147 = 950ft/sec

Win Ranger 147= 946 ft/sec

147gr GD, AA#7 1.13" COAL

7.0gr= 985 ft/sec

7.2gr= 1010ft/sec

No pressure signs at all and functioned flawlessly. The powder meters like dream, very very low flash and velocity to match.

There have been several threads on the use of Clays with 147's: Most seem to think it is too fast and prone to "Kabooms." However, I have used it for years in a CZ85 and a Glock with absolutely no problems. 3.1/3.2 grains behind a Zero 147 JHP produces a PF of about 130/135 and has incredibly soft recoil. At least try it.

A-G

I was real close to stopping at Bass Pro today to look for WSF, Titegroup, or Longshot...but I think I've decided to just give it a try with Universal. Clays and WST seem kind of questionable for this bullet. I know Universal may have issues making minor PF...but the truth is, I don't really have to make PF. I'm not going to shoot these bullets in bulk (too expensive), so they're not going to become my std. match ammo. As long as I can make a load that cycles and otherwise works, I think I'll be happy.

I still may pick up some WSF or titegroup eventually.

You'll get better performance out of Universal, WST in 9mm is not accurate for me, Clays works, but could easily double charge a case. Universal has a good burn rate for 9mm and is accurate to boot. Load to 1.100 OAL and experiment with powder charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out 3 and 3.15 gr Universal with an OAL of 1.130. Velocity was not what I'd hoped for. There wasn't really any difference (a few fps in the lowest low and highest high) between the two charges. Both avg'd 780fps with lows of 740 and highs of just over 800fps. They felt like I was shooting a .22...and so I can kind of see why a lot of the heavy GSSF shooters like 147gr loads...though I doubt they're loading them this light.

I don't think Universal is going to work with these without going beyond what Hodgdon publishes as max.

You will find a lot of competitive shooters who use 147 grain bullets. Yes, they tend to shoot a little softer but the real advantage for me is the heavier bullets knock over the steel easier. A 125 grain bullet is a little cheaper but the 147 grain bullets are becoming more popular. Just an opinion.

Well...I had a jar of WSF in my hands today, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $25 + tax for 1lb of WSF I wouldn't likely use for anything else. I figured I could try increasing up to max load and shorting the OAL to closer to Hodgdon's listed min OAL and see if the velocity gets more reasonable.