Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

sgrc1

I have been shooting IPSC for around 6months, I have moved up to A class in PD using my G17, and feel very confident with my performance in IPSC matches B) . HOWEVER last weekend I shot my first Steel challenge match, 3 stages (5 to go, Flying M, Speed option), and basically I SUCKED!. I couldn´t change targets rapidly and am very dissatisfied with my performance, I timed 5.1 on 5 to go, 4.7 on Speed option and 6.5 on Flyin M! Argh!!! :angry:

Is there a different technique that needs to be used for Steel vs. IPSC, different thought process, etc...

What type of dry fire practices can I do for this?, any suggestions, advice?

txs.

yes, it's a different game and no, the "technique" is no different. Although we may have to define "technique"...

From my perspective, three things make SS different from IPSC:

1. Shots require more precision than the average IPSC shot.

2. Little or no movement (except on Flying M and Outer Limits, and there it's minor). How smooth or fast you move plays much less of a role than how well you shoot.

3 (and often overlooked) The fact that you shoot 4 or 5 runs in a row. That first run is like an IPSC speed shoot, but then you're all pumped up and adrenalined, and you have to go again, right away, and another 4 times!

Usually 1. is where everyone finds out the hard way that you can't "hose and hope". I'm sure that's what broke you, didn't it?

--Detlef

Steel Challenge is a different animal.

- See the sights lift (positively call the shot) > snap eyes to next target > see the sights > see them lift > snap eyes to next target...

- Five draws per stage. Hit them smooth.

- Don't miss. Make-up shots take time...especially if you don't follow-thru and have to transition back to the target.

Draw...call...transition.

In retro, I think I missed on the follow up, I was sure I had hit the plate and moved on to the next and consequently had to come back alot, this was the big are were I missed time. Also the fact of going again and again was weird, in IPSC if I go again you usually have a 5-10 min rest and other shooters go so you have time to re-think what happened on the stage, that did not happen in the SS, once you had a chance to walk back and re-think it was over.

I am interested, what are your best times on these courses: 5 to go, Speed option and Flying M?

Any dry firing drills that you can recommend.

txs.

First thing about sc is that you absolutely cannot afford to eat misses. Each made up shot usually adds .40 or more depending on the stage.

This is a funny game and sometimes i really hate it :D

My times for the stages (limited) average

Speed option: 1.5

5 to go : 3.7

Flying M : 4.4

James

one of the keys to shooting steel that i have found is being relaxed, when you set up to shoot, also for all but a few stages, it helps if you centrally locate your natural point of aim, on the hardest shot, normally the stop plate but not always. this means you set up on that shot, and swivel yourself from the hips for every other shot. target transition can be worked on with a plate rack if you have access to one, they are a great. tool for practice. good luck trapr

• 4 weeks later...

I shot the Steel Challenge in 1993 up in fresno, CA and loved it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it back. If you can believe it, I actually placed ahead of everyone from the USAMU.....it was the beginning to their action shooting team headed up by Merle Edington who went on to win the USPSA open nationals in 1994, go figure? I had only been shooting open class for about 4 months and competing at all for about a year and a half. I noticed on major difference at the challenge......all the guns were lightened and the loads were extremely light. From those I talked to, the were using 115 gr at around 900-1100 fps. I was shooting a Springfield 9x21 with 115 gr flying about 1000 fps with a very light recoil spring. Anyway, I guess the main difference in the real steel challenge is the weight of the guns being used, the can be transitioned from target to target much faster because you dont have the excess weight causing momentum to carry your sight picture past the next target. The Jet kicked all of our butts. I ended up ok though, 13 in class (semi-pro > cause you win prizes instead of trophies! ) and 74th overall. I would love to shoot it again someday. Are they still using pneumatic targets? That was the first year that they were trying them.