Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet Another Newbie

AGlock36

:D Hey there everyone. I am new too this forum but just wanted to jump in here and say hey. I just recently got into shooting about a year ago and am truly awed by tapes I have seen if IPSC. Have not had a chance to get into it yet or to a match but did have a chance to speak with gm Phil Strador a bit. I just aquired a Para P-16 and am looking to use that for limited10 and going to pick up a glock 17 for production. Was just wondering if you all had any "starter" comments that would help get me in the right direction. Thanks in advance and look forward to the wealth of knowledge in here.

Happy Shooting.

:D:D:D:D

Welcome aboard. There going to be hundreds of helpful tips. I'll start off with 5...

1) Keep your finger out of the trigger guard during reloads and substantial movements.

2) Don't confuse yourself on the different ways to shoot a stage. Pick one early and stick to it. Don't ever get to the line still wondering how you're going to solve the stage.

3) Equipment doesn't make up for lack of talent. You can easily win with what you have if your fundamentals are solid.

4) Don't waste movement. If the next shooting position is 5 steps away, take 5 steps (not 8.732 steps).

5) Be relaxed, have fun.

Quick - Thank you very much. Really glad to be here.

TDean - Thank you very much for the tips. I have been going to the range with the p16 and going through a lot of rounds. Just recently learned about keeping my eyes on the front sight from my CCW class. So working on that, grip, and trigger control at the moment. Thanks you again for you tips.

:D:D:D:D

Gun Geek,

Thanks for the reply and the tips!!!

I am working on getting Brian's book and the Mark video's. My only question is on dry firing. Do you mean keep racking the slide or cocking the hammer and dry firing or just pulling on the trigger like I am firing. Thanks again.

Happy Shooting!!

:D :D :D :D

Rack and pull.

You need to get "intimate" with your trigger.

This is easier with an exposed hammer gun (1911 or other style) but very doable with a Glock. Just thumb the hammer if it is exposed. On a Glock you only have to move the slide a little to cock the trigger.

New shooters always ask if dry firing will hurt a gun (because their dads told them it would). Considering the amount of dryfiring that we discuss here (and that I do), I don't think there is a problem. If you're worried buy (or make) snap caps. I would not dry fire a rimfire nearly as much as we centerfires.

Geek

AGlock,

Are you in the Northern VA area? If so there will be a USPSA match every weekend within a 1 - 1.5 hr drive beginning in March. Go to the VA/MD website, www.vamdsection.org, to check out the shooting schedule. My sons and I run the North Mountain Practical Shooters match and welcome new shooters.

AGlock, This will be my second full year of USPSA. The best advice I can give is shoot as many matches as you can. And relax. You cannot make a mistake that some one has not made before. Some of the finest people on the planet are involved in this sport. Watch and listen. When the other guys are talking about what went wrong or what went right. You will pick up jewels of knowledge. If the bug bites you as hard as it has bitten me. You will make the time for practice. And soon be bouncing mags of the sofa. As you dry fire at the TV during the evening news. Be safe and enjoy the journey.

Gun Geek,

Thank you very much for clarifying that up for me. I never really thought that dry firing would hurt the gun but I just wanted to make sure. I will mainly be shooting the Para P-16 for this so the thumb-hammer tech. will work just fine. Thanks again.

TRNinVA,

Yes I am in Hoodbridge VA. So I will def. look at that site and get out to some of the matches. Also looking to take the next up coming IPSC course offered by my local Gun Store. Hopefully in the next few weeks. Until then I am just snapping off some rounds at the range and working on seeing my sites. :D

m.e.t,

I know the first ton of matches I shoot will be flops as far as score but I fugure that they will teach me a lot about the sport. Plus I figure most of the guys there were where I am at now and will offer me someadvice. Plus I am just nosy and usually pic on on everything around me so I can hear and feel some of the bad and good parts from the other shooters. thanks again for you advice and that bug is already weeming it's way under my skin for a perm-a-residence. LOL

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful advice and have a wonderful day.

Happy Shooting

AGlock. Welcome to the greatest sport on the planet. You really do meet the niceset people in sand pits on Sundays. ;)

The bigest piece of advice I would give you starting out is to NOT try and go fast. Speed is a byproduct of practice. Be safe and be accurate, speed will come on its own. If you are not hitting the "A" zone with most shots, you are simply rushing the shot. Your front sight is your speedometer and will regulate how quickly the next shot breaks. Ask questions and keep an open mind. Most all shooters are glad to offer advice and help. :)

IPSCDRL,

Thank you for the tip. A lot of people are giving me that advice. I went shooting this evenig witht he P-16 and did a lot of slow shooting just focusing on the front site. Shot really tight groups of 5 in the A zone. Learned a lot. Plus I have been practcing dry firing and reloads while watching TV. Getting ready to shoot my first match Later on this month.

Thanks again to everyone that posted in here an other places. Truly a wealth of knowledge.

Happy Shooting

Thank you again to everyone. All very good advice. I am going to take it all into consideration while shoot and practcing.(sp). I am truly enjoying all the advice from the boards past posts and the memebers.

Happy Shooting