Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Didn't really know where to post this....

slippp

I didn't really know where to post this, but I figured since I'm a new shooter, I can always use comments and criticism :D

I took your guys' advice on the last stage (no video yet, still trying to figure out how to edit these because it's in a .mod file and not a standard media file >_>) and I shot without gloves.... WOW. Such a huge difference in reloading. My hands were really really sweaty though, and at one point, one of the mags almost flew out of my hands when I went to grasp it. That's how sweaty my hands get naturally. Lol. It was pretty bad. I'm definitely going to buy some of that pro grip stuff because I was able to feel everything a lot better without the gloves.

I have a few more videos to upload....I just gotta cut them short because there's a lot of nothing happening in the beginning for like 20-30 seconds :P

Feel free to critique my form, shooting, whatever it is that needs to be worked on! Thanks guys :D I have a few more videos on my user page. Check them out too :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agh3CDdnjAo

Edited by slippp

Snap your hand to the gun. Bring the gun up close to your body after the draw. Your left hand should join the grip close to your chest, slightly above your solar plexus. Make most of your draw movement a push straight (perpendicular) towards your first A-zone. As opposed to raising it up from below it. You will acquire your sight picture much sooner allowing to get the first off faster. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

A $4 pack of wristbands from the sporting goods department at walmart will help quite a bit with sweaty hands. They don't eliminate the sweat, but they keep the sweat forming all over your arms from dripping down onto your hands.

ETA: Have you seen the scores for this match anywhere?

Edited by Rob D

Snap your hand to the gun. Bring the gun up close to your body after the draw. Your left hand should join the grip close to your chest, slightly above your solar plexus. Make most of your draw movement a push straight (perpendicular) towards your first A-zone. As opposed to raising it up from below it. You will acquire your sight picture much sooner allowing to get the first off faster. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Thank you. I'm just drawing extra slow because on my first match and first shot, I *ALMOST* had an AD on the draw so I've just been very cautious about drawing fast until I get more comfortable drawing with live ammo.

A $4 pack of wristbands from the sporting goods department at walmart will help quite a bit with sweaty hands. They don't eliminate the sweat, but they keep the sweat forming all over your arms from dripping down onto your hands.

ETA: Have you seen the scores for this match anywhere?

Never even thought about that. I will have that by the next match in 2 weeks :) I'll also have some grip stuff before the next match. I just can't believe how much of a difference shooting without gloves made. I wish my hands didn't sweat like waterfalls. lol.

And no, I was actually trying to find the results for the match, but to no avail :( I do recall the scorer saying that he was going to try and get it done that night, but he had work so he may not get to it for a couple of days...

If you do end up finding the scores, please link me as I'm curious to see how I did as well :D

I didn't really know where to post this, but I figured since I'm a new shooter, I can always use comments and criticism :D

Your were close. Right forum, but it goes in the dedicated sub-forum for videos.

I'll move it for ya.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

Just a quick observation - is your belt/rig loose? I noticed your holster and belt moved a good bit on your draw.

It might be. lol. The actual belt isn't mine, it's my friend's. I'm waiting on my mag pouches. His is size 36, but my belt is size 38. I just didn't want to switch his mag pouches over to my belt because he has it set for him, and I just adapted to it :P I'll hopefully have my order from blade-tech soon...they just take forever to get it to you.

Your were close. Right forum, but it goes in the dedicated sub-forum for videos.

I'll move it for ya.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

Thanks kyle! I'll post all my future vids there :P

Try this in dry fire (triple check the gun is empty and you have a good backstop):

Start with the gun out and on target. Make sure you are in your shooting stance (slightly aggressive, knees bent, etc.)

Now, slowly bring the gun back toward your body...it (gun/front sight) should remain under your dominant eye's focal plane. Keep both hands on the gun and it should end up close to your chest (oh...6-8 inches or so) and at about the level of your sternum. The muzzle and front sight will likely be slightly angled up.

Somewhere along that pull back to the High Ready position, your finger should come out of the trigger guard and should hit your index point on the gun. (If you don't have an index pint on the gun for your finger...get one NOW. Finger should be straight and touch the same point on the frame of the gun every time)

Do this slowly.

Notice the path the gun takes (or your take it).

Once you have it back, slowly press it back toward the target. But, first, locate the target (pick a spot) with your eyes. Then as you press the gun out notice your focus coming back to the front sight (front sight should end up in a razor sharp focus).

As you press out from the High Ready, your finger can find the trigger.

Repeat over and over. Do this slowly. Super slow motion for 10 reps, then slow motion for 10 reps, then sorta slow motion for 10 reps, then medium slow motion for 10 reps, and then medium paced for 10 reps.

Don't even include the rest of the draw for now. Just work from the presented position, to the high ready and back to presented. You are just burning in the last part of the draw for now.

Keep your vision active and moving. Be open and aware. Notice things. (report those things here). Be mindful of when your finger goes onto the trigger and when it hits it's index point coming off the trigger.

Later, when you include the draw, it will need to come up through the high ready position and then out to the target.

Try this in dry fire (triple check the gun is empty and you have a good backstop):

Start with the gun out and on target. Make sure you are in your shooting stance (slightly aggressive, knees bent, etc.)

Now, slowly bring the gun back toward your body...it (gun/front sight) should remain under your dominant eye's focal plane. Keep both hands on the gun and it should end up close to your chest (oh...6-8 inches or so) and at about the level of your sternum. The muzzle and front sight will likely be slightly angled up.

Somewhere along that pull back to the High Ready position, your finger should come out of the trigger guard and should hit your index point on the gun. (If you don't have an index pint on the gun for your finger...get one NOW. Finger should be straight and touch the same point on the frame of the gun every time)

Do this slowly.

Notice the path the gun takes (or your take it).

Once you have it back, slowly press it back toward the target. But, first, locate the target (pick a spot) with your eyes. Then as you press the gun out notice your focus coming back to the front sight (front sight should end up in a razor sharp focus).

As you press out from the High Ready, your finger can find the trigger.

Repeat over and over. Do this slowly. Super slow motion for 10 reps, then slow motion for 10 reps, then sorta slow motion for 10 reps, then medium slow motion for 10 reps, and then medium paced for 10 reps.

Don't even include the rest of the draw for now. Just work from the presented position, to the high ready and back to presented. You are just burning in the last part of the draw for now.

Keep your vision active and moving. Be open and aware. Notice things. (report those things here). Be mindful of when your finger goes onto the trigger and when it hits it's index point coming off the trigger.

Later, when you include the draw, it will need to come up through the high ready position and then out to the target.

BTW, let me know if you notice any tension and also any awkwardness in your stance.

Wow that drill sounds awesome. Thanks! I will be trying that at my next practice session sometime this weekend :)

3 minor suggestions:

1) during your load and make ready, hold the gun higher (neck level or so) so that you can see the magwell, the same way you should load during a COF. This way you ingrain more muscle memory and get a chance to practice for when you need to do reloads later in the match.

2) I suggest doing a chamber check to make sure the first round is chambered and the magazine is seated prior to holstering.

3) Use a barney mag or other mag to make sure you are fully topped off (8+1) prior to starting. While it seems the COF only required 7 rds (I'm not sure if it was Virginia Count), it never hurts to have a little extra insurance in that extra round, that 1 round "could" save you a lot of time incase you do need to make up a miss or correct a malfunction.

I could not see your technique when you were actually shooting as the camera man was filming the targets so these are the only things that poked out at me. Good shooting!

CAZ

It's dry-fire. You can try it at home...every day...for 21+ days. :)

Would it be wise to invest in dummy rounds?

I never understood how they work so I never did it.

3 minor suggestions:

1) during your load and make ready, hold the gun higher (neck level or so) so that you can see the magwell, the same way you should load during a COF. This way you ingrain more muscle memory and get a chance to practice for when you need to do reloads later in the match.

2) I suggest doing a chamber check to make sure the first round is chambered and the magazine is seated prior to holstering.

3) Use a barney mag or other mag to make sure you are fully topped off (8+1) prior to starting. While it seems the COF only required 7 rds (I'm not sure if it was Virginia Count), it never hurts to have a little extra insurance in that extra round, that 1 round "could" save you a lot of time incase you do need to make up a miss or correct a malfunction.

I could not see your technique when you were actually shooting as the camera man was filming the targets so these are the only things that poked out at me. Good shooting!

CAZ

Check my channel. I have a few other vids on there that are a little more visible. Hard to find a good cameraman nowadays :P . For my barney, what I did was I just had the bullet in my pocket and then loaded the bullet into the magazine that I was load into the firearm.

Thanks for the tips :)

It's dry-fire. You can try it at home...every day...for 21+ days. :)

Would it be wise to invest in dummy rounds?

- For the drill I posted, you don't even need to pull the trigger.

- Most modern guns can be dry-fired thousands and thousands of times, with no problem. What kind of gun do you have?

- THINK SAFETY FIRST...and second...and third. No ammo in the room with you during dry-fire. Period. Clear the magazine, clear the chamber. Lock the slide back. Visually inspect that the gun is empty, and physically inspect that the gun is empty. Cycle the slide and repeat the checks. Know your backstop. Point the gun in a safe direction. Take whatever other safety precautions are prudent. Safety is your priority and your responsibility.

Cool I enjoy these videos. Visit my web site http://www.sashooter.com there is a link to Saul Kirsh tng viedos. I use Saul's symetrical draw its fast. In fact I watch these things about once a month then dry fire practice making sure I'm doing it right, it helps! No No I dry fire 3 or 4 days a week, more before a big match.

I use a snap cap in my CZ's when I dry fire it protects the firing pin and slide.

- For the drill I posted, you don't even need to pull the trigger.

- Most modern guns can be dry-fired thousands and thousands of times, with no problem. What kind of gun do you have?

- THINK SAFETY FIRST...and second...and third. No ammo in the room with you during dry-fire. Period. Clear the magazine, clear the chamber. Lock the slide back. Visually inspect that the gun is empty, and physically inspect that the gun is empty. Cycle the slide and repeat the checks. Know your backstop. Point the gun in a safe direction. Take whatever other safety precautions are prudent. Safety is your priority and your responsibility.

Nice. I have an STI trojan.

What's the point of dummy rounds and how do they work?

Cool I enjoy these videos. Visit my web site http://www.sashooter.com there is a link to Saul Kirsh tng viedos. I use Saul's symetrical draw its fast. In fact I watch these things about once a month then dry fire practice making sure I'm doing it right, it helps! No No I dry fire 3 or 4 days a week, more before a big match.

I use a snap cap in my CZ's when I dry fire it protects the firing pin and slide.

Thank you! I will check that out this weekend :)

The results are up. Looks like you won singlestack. Congratulations! :cheers:

YAY!!! Thanks. Totally made my night, even though there were only 3 competitiors :P Time to retire! It was nice knowing you guys :P:devil:

The point of dummy rounds is to make your gun and magazines weigh the same in practice as they do in competition when they're loaded up. You can make dummy rounds by reloading rounds with no primer or powder. I recommend de-priming them too, so you can see a nice big hole in the bottom to identify them. You can also buy commercially made versions.

The one thing that's VERY IMPORTANT about dummy rounds is that you never get them mixed up with live ammo. Don't store them in the same place, and don't handle them around each other. Visually check each round to make sure it has no primer before you load it into your gun for practice. I even count out loud to myself as I load my mags, "one dummy round - two dummy rounds." You want to make absolutely sure that live ammo gets nowhere near your gun or mags while dry-firing.

The point of dummy rounds is to make your gun and magazines weigh the same in practice as they do in competition when they're loaded up. You can make dummy rounds by reloading rounds with no primer or powder. I recommend de-priming them too, so you can see a nice big hole in the bottom to identify them. You can also buy commercially made versions.

The one thing that's VERY IMPORTANT about dummy rounds is that you never get them mixed up with live ammo. Don't store them in the same place, and don't handle them around each other. Visually check each round to make sure it has no primer before you load it into your gun for practice. I even count out loud to myself as I load my mags, "one dummy round - two dummy rounds." You want to make absolutely sure that live ammo gets nowhere near your gun or mags while dry-firing.

Thanks!

I know you posted this to gather critiques for your shooting, but I have a question for you. Was that steel set at 23 feet? If it was, it may just be an optical illusion on the video or a result of the video compression, but wow...that looked awful close!

Nice shooting by the way.

My hands sweat a lot too, I use the Wrist Band/Pro Grip combo myself. I also added extra grip tape last week. Picked it up in Lowe for about $4 for a 25ft roll (more than I'll ever need). But it works really well. If you go that route, its the stuff in the Paint/Tape aisle, not the stuff in the flooring aisle. There is a difference. The flooring aisle stuff is A LOT rougher.

I know you posted this to gather critiques for your shooting, but I have a question for you. Was that steel set at 23 feet? If it was, it may just be an optical illusion on the video or a result of the video compression, but wow...that looked awful close!

Nice shooting by the way.

My hands sweat a lot too, I use the Wrist Band/Pro Grip combo myself. I also added extra grip tape last week. Picked it up in Lowe for about $4 for a 25ft roll (more than I'll ever need). But it works really well. If you go that route, its the stuff in the Paint/Tape aisle, not the stuff in the flooring aisle. There is a difference. The flooring aisle stuff is A LOT rougher.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't remember...but I'm just going to go ahead and guess that yes, it was at least 23 feet. It definitely looks a lot closer in the video now that I think about it. lol.

Where did you add the extra grip tape? I finally just got pro grip. But, unlike the advertisement, it does rub off on your gun and clothes :( grrr. lol.