Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a holster - 1911 with light rail

mikeg1005

My serpa messed me up on a classifier today by jamming up, I have yet to have an issue with drawing from it but I'm thinking about switching...

Only thing is I have trouble finding kydex holster that use tension retention for 1911s that will accomodate a light rail as well.

Any suggestions? (I shoot single stack if you haven't guessed)

Mike.

Blade-tech makes some great kydex, though unfortunately no retention like your serpa http://blade-tech.com/Duty-Holsters-c-258.html. For something similar but superior to the SERPA take a look at the Safariland ALS line, http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6320 I like their holster and retention system much more than the serpa, and they make some holsters that will accomidate 1911's w/ light rail, check up under the "springfield" section. For CCW Raven concealment also makes great holsters, they lay flatter than any other kydex holster I've tried, but tension is not adjustable.

CAZ

Try Mach 2 Tactical, I just bought some used but very good condition single 1911 mag pouches from a member here and the quality is excellent. I'd never heard of them before but am actually looking into getting a full size 1911 holster myself for a STI Spartan in 9mm. The price is right about $45.

http://www.m2tactical.com/M2-Belt-Holster-for-1911-5quot-Government-w-Light-Rail_p_19.html

I'd like one that doesn't have a button deactivating retension setup...

Has anyone had experiences with the fobus evolution holsters? They look simple and should appear to meet the guidelines for a holster for single stack.

MIke.

Sorry I misunderstood friction retention, I assumed you wanted a level II retention holster since you have been running a SERPA lol. I think that blade-tech makes a much better holster than the fobus, all fobus holsters I've handled feel cheap to me (but I'm really picky) blade tech holsters are great and SS legal. check out this http://blade-tech.com/SRB-Sting-Ray-Belt-Holster-IDPA-Approved-pr-939.html ...If you look under Springfield and Kimber in the weapons model tab you'll see that they make holsters for 1911 railed guns.

CAZ

Edited by Cold Absolute Zero

Wanted to add Comp-tac, I just checked and they also make holsters for 1911's w/ rails http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66. I have one of their belt holsters for my G34 for production and I love it, even more than the blade tech holsters I mentioned earlier. Additionally, their shipping very fast.

CAZ

I like the comptac.... on that one, what holds the holster to the belt? Does it screw down onto it or just fit very tight like the serpa does?

MIke.

Belt-Holster-Side.jpg

There are 3 main attachment methods, feeding the belt through loops (belt loops), paddle and locking paddle. The picture above is of the belt holster (the one w/ loops), you just feed your belt through the loops. I prefer the belt loop as there is zero chance that I would ever draw my gun and have the holster come with it. Make sure you order the right size kydex loops as they are not modular and cannot be changed once you order it. There is nothing that screws or clamps down onto the belt but I haven't found that to be a problem, I just throw a little male side velcro on the back of the kydex loops and it stays very stable and stationary on my CR speed belt.

CAZ

Thanks for the explanation...

So the belt thickness is universal right? I had a belt made by a local guy and the outer belt is not as thick as a CR speed belt... will it be able to slide around on a thinner belt or are there ways to tighten the gap for the belt thickness?

I'm assuming I want to order the option that states " 5in. with dawson rail"

Mike.

Thanks for the explanation...

So the belt thickness is universal right? I had a belt made by a local guy and the outer belt is not as thick as a CR speed belt... will it be able to slide around on a thinner belt or are there ways to tighten the gap for the belt thickness?

I'm assuming I want to order the option that states " 5in. with dawson rail"

Mike.

unfortunately, I'm not sure...I would give comp-tac a call to see if they can make the loop channel wider or tighter, they have excellent customer service. If you put velcro on the back of the holster loops that should help anchor it in place. I don't know of any factory "shims" that you could add in there to make it tighter, but if you added a couple layers of duct tape on the inside I'm sure it would tighten it up. That said...if you do talk to comp-tac and the security of the holster is still a concern go with the blade tech belt holster w/ Sting ray attachment. This mounting option is much more flexible to belt widths and tolerant of thin and thick belts.

I'm not sure what kind of 1911 and rail you have so unfortunately I can't help you without more information. Who manufacturers your pistol? what is the model? Do you actually have have a dawson rail? the aftermarket one that mounts under the dust cover with a couple of bolts? or do you have an operator type integrated dust cover rail, where the rail is machined into the dust cover? etc...

CAZ

Thanks for the info.

I have a kimber desert warrior that has the light rail machined in to the dust cover... its not a full length style, just the length of a normal dust cover.

I'll call up comp-tac

Mike.

I just checked comp-tac's website and if you select "kimber" for the make instead of 1911, it lists the "desert warrior" as an option. From the mk1 eyeball picture analysis lol it seems that the desert warrior frame is very similar to the TLE/RL frame. Anyhow good luck.

CAZ

You can deactivate the serpa with an o-ring. They also make blackhawks with no serpa. I have always wanted to modify the serpa to have detents, so you can choose lock or not. Mine still have a piece of raised plastic to grab the trigger guard even if the serpa is deactivated.

I had a SERPA when I was in the Army. It worked fine for 6 months and when the retention mechanism was clean, but it crapped out on me when it was exposed to lots of dust when I was in Afghanistan. The part that gives the button its tension broke and semi locked my pistol in the holster which did not make me happy...I ended up ripping the tab off and using it for a short period of time just like that until I could find a replacement. I feel that it is one of the faster retention holsters out there, and works relatively well if you are in an urban (not environmentally harsh) environment. But after my personal experience I would gravitate towards something else if I needed a level II or III retention holster, especially when long term durability is considered. Just my .02

CAZ

In terms of active retention, the SERPA and Safarinald are probably the best. I found that by using a small drill bit you could make a hole and insert a small screw that would hold down the activation lever of a SERPA. Very easy and cheap to do, and completely reversable if you wanted to have the active retention.