Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cali Shot Doc

cali shot doc

Went to a local Indoor range friday (9/10/10) to test my new Talon Grips and new recoil springs and had a great session. The Talon Grip give's me a lot more control over my gun and the 14# spring makes the gun feel totally different. It run's just as good as the stock 17# spring and i reduced the muzzle flip tremendously so I can reacquire the target faster. Few guys watched me shooting and was totally impressed and asked to shoot my xd9 so i let them each shoot a magazine worth and they went into the show room and bought an xd for themselves lol. At 15 yds, I only had 3 shots not hit the 8 or better area on the target. Very happy with my upgrades and shooting Friday.

Today, 9/12/10, just got back from the Vallejo Gun Show and got some 9mm reloads from my favorite reload company, Miwall corp. They were out of 115g tmj bullets in 1000 but had 125g tmj so i bought 2000 rounds for a little over $300. Disappointed that there were only 2 xd9 magazines for sell in the whole show and they were $36 each. The one company who sells them for $25 was all out so I will have to wait next month and get there early so I can get a couple more mags. Talked to a guy selling powder and primers and learned a lot. He recommended using Tight group (at least to start out with) and I think that's what I'm going to try first. Now I need to figure out what kind of primers I want to use. Can't wait till I get my Dillon Press so I can start cranking out my own rounds!

Can't wait for 9/18 when i take my safe shooting course @ RRGC so I can start to compete and have fun but got to get back to studying for my organic chemistry exam tuesday :unsure:

csd

Took my Organic chem test today :blush: Thought I was ready for it but I have a feeling I didn't do so good so came home put my "thrifty rig" on and did some dry fire practice. Fine tuned my xd adjustable paddle holster to the best set up for my draw. Worked on various kinds of draws and reloading.

I Love my talon grips but it makes it harder to shift the position of my gun in my hand so I can reach the mag release so worked on getting use to the grip and tried releasing the mag with my trigger finger on the right side of the xd9 and with my weak hand also. Need to focus more when I'm reloading..caught my finger hanging near the trigger guard during reloads so need to be more careful with that. All in all good dry fire session.

Might go to Richmond RGC tomorrow after chem lab to try out the 125g reloads i just bought at the gun show. Can't wait for my 2 extra mags to come from midway friday (hopefully) and the rest of the gear I bought for my range kit.

Still looking at the Midway Competition Bag for my range bag but i'm going to hold off on it for now. My old backpack is doing fine for now :rolleyes:

Learned a lot today. Finally was able to take the "intro class" today and learned a lot.

To "pass" the class we each had to shoot a 36 round stage that included 6 poppers. It felt really good. 14/15 paper targets were double alpha and the farthest target was alpha charlie. I had tight groupings and good recoil control through out the stage. There's a match tomorrow but idk if I can shoot it......hopefully I can.

Went to Bullseye today and shot about 350 .22 lr and 200 125g 9mm.

Worked on both strong hand and weak hand shooting and i'm getting a little better but still not very happy with my control. Shot at about 10yds since that is the distance most of the qualifiers i'll be shooting next month seem to be at.

Didn't have as good of a day with my xd9 as I would have liked. It didn't matter how careful/conscious i was of my trigger control and grip, all my shots still hit a little low and to the left but i still had fairly tight groups. I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with the reloads that i bought at the gun show. I found that the stock 17# recoil spring is the best with the 125g rounds. I think I like the 115g rounds more. I just seem to have better control with it.

I tried a new thing today. I put my golf glove on and it seemed to help with my recoil control and just overall control of my xd9. I'm going to have to try it when i go to Richmond RGC to practice and see what it is like while reloading and shooting plates to see if I really like it. Today was more a day to clear my mind than it was to practice. Just got done cleaning my Sig Mosquito and XD9.

• 2 weeks later...

It's HERE :goof:

Got my Midway USA Competition Range (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=939259680) for a great price..... $39

I love this bag and can't wait to use it tomorrow when I got to RRGC to practice for Sunday's match!!!!!!

It's huge and made of great quality. It came with to pistol rugs/holders, brass bag, nice shoulder strap, inner ammo bag that is removable, has 8 magazine pouches to keep them from banging on each other and alot of pockets.

I got in the bag right now:

Sig Mosquito (.22lr)

Springfield XD9 Tactical (9mm 5in. barrel)

300rds of 125g 9mm reloads by MIWAL

500rds of blazer .22lr ammo and a 50rd pack of .22lr hollow points from Remington that I'm going to see how it feeds through my Sig Mosquito

50 orange peel targets

Several targets I printed off of the internet that i like to use

Tape

Stapler

9mm bore snake

9mm bore brush

Hoppes oil

extra recoil springs

First Aid Kit

Hand sanitizer

Towels and gloves

3 ready tactical mag pouches

Springfield xd double mag pouch

Springfield Xd Adjustable Paddle Holster

Allen Wrench to adjust holster

Tactical LED light

Winchester Knife

Ear protection

Water

Stage diagrams for a classifier on 10/9 and for Bay Bridge Charity Classic on 10/24 (http://mrshooter.com/baybridgecharitymatch.html)

I think thats it :roflol:

When I get some time and in the mood i'm going to put on a Springfield Armory American Flag patch and my USPSA patch i received for becoming a member.

I can't wait to see how it works at the range. It's a definite improvement over my old elementary backpack that I have been using since.

post-25897-059325000 1285973281_thumb.jp

post-25897-022105200 1285973379_thumb.jp

post-25897-082534100 1285973440_thumb.jp

post-25897-055113800 1285973507_thumb.jp

Shot my first match this past sunday and had a lot of fun. Got to shoot with many great shooters including GM's Keith Garcia and John Bagakis. Very cool getting to meet them and have them talk me through each stage and calm me down after the last stage (where I did the worst and got frustrated) One of these day's I'll beat them lol but can't wait to shoot more matches with them since we all share the same home range.

With nationals so close, the stages were extra hard and long but a lot of fun. Had to deal with a texas star and 8 plate rack @25 yds on the last stage where I did the worse and dealt with a spinning plate rack on the first stage which i knocked down every plate. My demise was no shoots and FTE. Second the buzzer went off, my plan left my mind and I got a little flustered. It felt like the stages were chaotic towards the end but i'm sure that's due to some frustration and fatigue since it turned out to be a longer match then i have expected. Just got the results today and wasn't the worse shooter but darn near close to it. Shot 12.26% but for it being my first stage and shooting pretty hard stages (according to the GM's) i'm pretty happy with it. Any match you don't DQ is a good match in my mind.

Hopefully I'll be getting my Powder River Match Grade Trigger Kit, Springer Pin Punch set and Springer extended mag release tomorrow in the mail so I can make the upgrades after school and test it out this weekend some time.

Off to do some dry fire practice!!

Just got done putting the final touches on my new PRP Ultimate Match Trigger Kit and installed an extended mag release from Springer and love both. Not to crazy about the surface of the trigger, it's a little pointy at the bottom and digs into my finger with 125g rounds so i might sand it down a little but i prefer the 115g rounds and they don't bother me at all.

Went to the Range yesterday to work on my sights at the 15yd line shooting at a 5inch target and got a lot of good data.

15yd line shooting 115g Magtech: 25rounds sitting w/ rest shooting @ 12 o'clock hold --> had 3 shots not hit the 5in target and were low to the left (most likely operator error)

25rounds standing @ 12 o'clock hold-->had 8 shots not hit 5in target low and left (due to operator error/poor trigger control)

15yd line shooting 125g Reloads: 25rounds sitting w/ rest shooting @ center hold-->had 2 shots not hit the 5in target (operator error most likely)

25rounds standing @ center hold--> had 10 shots not hit the 5in target(poor trigger control)

Now I have a better idea of how my gun shoots and can get better with this new trigger. The extended mag release has helped my tiny hands a TONS!!!!!!!!

Only bad news from the range is I found one of my newer mags has an issue dropping when the slide is open. When it is closed it drops freely w/o any issues but when the slide is locked back it drops an inch and stops. Emailed springfield to find out how to fix it. I don't see any deformities and any rug marks. I've taken it apart and cleaned it and still having the issues. I've only shot 1 match with this mag so wear and tear shouldn't be an issue, besides mag's are meant to be beaten up :sight:

Thinking about going to the local indoor range today to work on two consecutive shots and see how the gun shoots and handles with the new trigger and now figuring out the sights. Got to get ready for a club match next Sunday and the Bay Bridge Charity Classic on the 24th.

• 2 weeks later...

First "Big" match Sunday, the Bay Bridge Charity Classic 5 (Stages, 113rds, Classifier CM 09-10). The last few practice sessions I have really focused on the Pro's and Con's of 115g vs 125g.

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the 115g fmj 9mm rd. I just have better control and feel more confident with it so thats what i'm going to shoot this Sunday. Might go to the range tomorrow to work on shot calling some more so I can have a better match on sunday. Still having a little issues with my sights and REALLY want the Dawson adjustable sights but $ is an issue right now since i got the PRP Match trigger so i'm going to just man up lol.

One of the stages you have to shoot in 3 different strings, 8rds/string, and on one of the strings you have to lay down/get very close to the ground and i've never shot prone or really gotten into and out of the prone position with a gun so it's going to be pretty slow. I'm pretty nervous about this but i'm going to save this one for the last string so i can make sure the first 2 strings are good and that i get my points for sure there, i'm fairly sure shooting prone for the first time isn't going to be very precise and accurate :goof:

A fairly big storm is coming in, rained some today, so it should be interesting shooting in the wet whether. I've only shot on sunny day's or in in-door ranges so this will be interesting and a new experience, looking forward to it and seeing how my XD9 Tactical performs wet. I got a poncho to wear when i'm not shooting and an ok jacket for the rain and also have a shower cap to place on my holstered gun so it doesn't get to soaked while waiting for my turn to shoot. Hopefully it works.

Going to look over the stage diagrams and start making a mental picture of the stages and make up a game plan tonight. Update Sunday night or Monday

Wet, Cold and Tired. Today was a miserable day. It rained with a heavy constant wind for the whole match. Other than that shot great. A few Mikes and only 1 no shoot. Finished each stage in the middle of the pack so not to bad of day for it only being my second time shooting a match.

Got 1st place Unclassified Production and won a Glock 17!!!! Great ending to a miserable day lol

Wet, Cold and Tired. Today was a miserable day. It rained with a heavy constant wind for the whole match. Other than that shot great. A few Mikes and only 1 no shoot. Finished each stage in the middle of the pack so not to bad of day for it only being my second time shooting a match.

Got 1st place Unclassified Production and won a Glock 17!!!! Great ending to a miserable day lol

Wow, sounds like they had some great prizes. Congratulations.

I'm in the Bay Area a bunch. I really need to bring my gear and shoot a match out there sometime.

They gave you a pistol? That's crazy! I need to find me a match like that :)

Congratulations on the finish and on the progress. Sounds like you're getting better real fast. I shoot an XD9 too (although mine's only a 4"). I agree that they're solid, dependable guns. For me, personally, I like the 125gr rounds more than 115 or 147. I'd highly recommend getting Dawson adjustable sights. You'll like the way they look better (thin front sight) and will be able to tweak your alignment to fit whichever ammo you end up with.

Keep trucking!