Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm and blue dot

seabee23

Hello. I have tried to do a search on this topic, but all I can find is parts and pieces of what I'm looking for. My question is, does anyone have a favorite recipe for blue dot in 9mm 357 sig and 40? I know it isn't the best powder to use, but I have seen some load data on it, so I know you can use it in these calibers. I have other powders that are much better, but I have like 10lbs of blue dot that a friend gave me, so I would like to use it if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't help you with the 357 Sig....This was got from Alliants website...

Caliber Min OAL Bbl Length Primer Charge (grains) Velocity

9mm Luger 115 gr Speer GDHP Speer 1.125 4 CCI 500 Blue Dot 8.5 1,258

9mm Luger 124 gr Speer GDHP Speer 1.12 4 CCI 500 Blue Dot 7.9 1,238

9mm Luger 147 gr Speer GDHP Speer 1.13 4 CCI 500 Blue Dot 5.8 1,001

Caliber Bullet Case Min OAL Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge(grains) Velocity

40 S&W 155 gr Speer GDHP Speer 1.12 4 CCI 500 Blue Dot 11 1,221

40 S&W 180 gr Speer GDHP Speer 1.12 4 CCI 500 Blue Dot 8.9 1,018

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm curious about this too. I loaded up 25 rounds of 147gr Montana Gold with 5.7gr of Blue Dot (Mixed Brass) to about 1.13" OAL and had a couple of very deep primer strikes. But this was a nice 'push' recoil load - not snappy.

I'm concerned that there were 2/25 with what appeared to be deep (but not pierced/punctured) primer strikes. I suppose maybe I just didn't get the primers on those two seated deep enough, but I'm also curious if anyone else is having luck (good or bad) with Blue Dot in 9x19mm.

I tried 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, and 7.8 gr Blue Dot under 124gr Rem FMJ vs. several other powders. These were some initial loads that I made, so no chrono at the time. Accuracy was OK, with snappy recoil, and lots of unburned powder around the bench. I think I loaded like 20 test rounds out of a pound and haven't touched it since. Too many other good powders for 9mm if you are not looking to make major.

However, if I got 10# free, I'd find a way to use it. 9mm minor with 124gr bullets doesn't seem like the way in my limited experience - YMMV.

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up, my primer strikes turned out to be a chipped striker - so not the Blue Dot load's pressure.

Also, I tried Blue Dot in .40 and it 'works' but does have the unburned powder and movie-like-theatrical fireball at the muzzle that some others have described. Plus the recoil is quite a snappy event compared to Clays, N330 or Universal Clays, so I migrated back to those powder(s).

BlueDot's in the burn range of Slow Open Powders. Open meaning compensated race guns. Long as you don't get crazy you should not have any pressue problems. It will go bang in 9 and 40 and a few other calibers.

For uncompensated 9 mm and 40 S&W, if you are looking for something with low recoil and flip, you got the wrong stuff. You just need a comp and a dot to make it right.

Personally my 147gr 9 mm load for USPSA Production is 3.2gr of Clays set @ 1.145 Zero JHP. In 40 TiteGroup @ 4.3gr w/200 Gr Zero FN set at 1.200 makes a nice controllable USPSA Major load. (these are actual loads you need to back off 10% or more and work up, more if you cannot match the length).

In 9 mm Production loads N320 is king, and I like it a lot with 124gr, clean, soft shooting, accurate, expensive and hard to find what else could you ask for.

Blue Dot needs to be pushed like an enemy down the stairs. Hard. There is no ROI for light loads and Blue Dot works best when pressure is high, but the caveat is it is spikey like HS6 with regard to pressure.

Save Blue Dot for the 10mm or rimmed cartridges. There are other powders that will work better than Blue Dot. I would work a trade with someone.