Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I "muzzle" my rifles comp?

Jman

It depends a lot on the shape of the compensator. If it's just round along the length you could wrap a thin sheet of metal around it and clamp with a hose clamp (looks bad though). Better: take a piece of pipe that fits snuggly around it. Cut to length what you need. Then cut a slit in the length of the piece and weld 2 eyes on each side. A little bolt and nut will clamp it around the compensator.

Any device that you attach to a barrel that has the effect of quieting the noise can be prosecuted by the ATF as "making and possess an illegal suppressor" which has a rule of thumb punishment of $10,000 and/or 10 years imprisonment in a Federal prison. I would not take a chance on this. If the compensator is too loud, then replace it with something less loud that is commercially popular and thus known to be legal. All the stories of soda bottles, oil filters, potatoes, pipes etc attached onto a barrel are all illegal. Just a FYI and hope you don't get to be roommates and good friends with Bubba at the big house. :(

One additional thought regarding the ATF. I think it is out of their enforcement if the "device" is NOT attached to the gun. So if you had a enclosure to put on the shooting bench, such as a small dog house, with a clear line of sight to shoot through, but not touching the gun, and lined with foam or egg crates or some other sound absorbing material, then you could put your gun muzzle into the dog house and shoot without bothering your neighbor so much. This would achieve your desired effect of quieting your gun without making friends with Bubba.

One additional thought regarding the ATF. I think it is out of their enforcement if the "device" is NOT attached to the gun. So if you had a enclosure to put on the shooting bench, such as a small dog house, with a clear line of sight to shoot through, but not touching the gun, and lined with foam or egg crates or some other sound absorbing material, then you could put your gun muzzle into the dog house and shoot without bothering your neighbor so much. This would achieve your desired effect of quieting your gun without making friends with Bubba.

This will keep gas off of your neighbor, but will give you a face full of gas each time you pull the trigger. Maybe you could put up some temporary blast deflectors.

Hurley