Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Articles Online

EricW

There have been several folks, myself included, who would like to see back issues of Front Sight be put on-line to both serve the membership and as a marketing tool. Currently USPSA only buys one-time printing rights to those articles, so negotiations would be necessary in order to do the web project without violating copyrights.

A lot of people writing those articles are regulars here. So...Front Sight authors, is this something you would be amenable to? Would you want to be re-paid the fees again? Would you expect to be paid more because of the different nature of an electronic document? Would you considering donating the rights to USPSA? (Tax deductible?)

Whaddaya think?

[by the way, I think the general consensus is that the electronic copies would be available only in the Members area. It would be nice to put a copy or two in the public area as a teaser to attract new members, though. :)]

I doubt this is as big of an issue with the "writers" as Front Sight might think. Perhaps the the professional writers would have a beef with this? I know I wouldn't mind. Perhaps..for future articles...they could simply ask permission from the writer to also "publish" the article on the members site (which, by the way...is a great membership incentive).

I would not have a problem if USPSA electronically published any article I've written for Front Sight without paying me for it again. In fact, I'm in favor of the idea--a searchable set of .pdf articles would be a good thing to have available online. I looked at the Quark website; (Quark is what USPSA uses to put Front Sight together), and it appears that there is direct to .pdf functionality available in that program. It might depend on the version they're using, but it seems simple enough to either upgrade the version, or buy a copy of Adobe Acrobat.

I have copies available on my website and use it as a tool there. I would not mind having a link to the page but I would rather have the info located on my site as opposed to USPSA's.

Bob,

What if for people like you, that were contributing pros, if a nice hotlink to your website was included in the credits of the article in the "e-FrontSight" magazine? Anyone interested to learn more could click once and find you. Would that seem like adequate "compensation" for the use of your intellectual property?

BTW, making a PDF from a Quark file is about as easy as anything in desktop publishing gets. In fact it is a preferred delivery method for Quark/Pagemaker/InDesign files so they don't get mangled in the RIP.

It is the modern way to send print jobs out and re-purposing a PDF is as easy as making another version for web distribution by switching parameters in Adobe Distiller and running the EPS file through it again (Distiller is the Acrobat companion application that generates PDF's from EPS files that the page layout programs export).

The security features in Acrobat are available should there be any concerns about re-distribution of the PDF content. Copying, printing, extracting images and text, even reading the document can be controlled with a password. I don't see any issues that can't be solved if the desire for this is there (at the top).

--

Regards,