Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to lose weight

astephenson

My STI Trojan weighs 43.3 ounces with an empty Tripp Research magazine with Dawson basepad, Dawson ICE magwell, and ambi safety. Weight limit for IDPA ESP is 43 ounces.

I'm figuring the easiest way to shed weight would be replacing the full-length guiderod with a standard-length unit. How much are we talking here...an ounce, half an ounce? What about an aluminum FL guiderod?

I could also ditch the ambi safety. Ho difficult are these to fit, and could someone hazard a guess as to how much I could save going this route?

I performed a search, but didn't find any specifics as far as weight is concerned.

9s are hard to slim down due to there being more metal in the barrel but your on the right track. Replace the FLGR with a aluminum one from Briley. Lighter trigger parts will add in as well like a lighter hammer, ti strut and mainspring cap. I also use a plastic MSH as well. my .40 is 39oz.

There's usually enough meat in the frame under the grip panels that you can remove some and not make any significant reduction in how strong it is. Still, I'd probably go with the Ti strut, MS cap, and AL or GI guide rod/recoil spring route first. The Trojan comes with a plastic MSH, so that might not be an option to change. R,

All you need to lose is .1oz. The new addendum allows for .2 over. That's it but it's pushing it. You can keep everything. All you need to do is take material off the back of your VZ grips and then your golden.

Edited by Victor R

There's usually enough meat in the frame under the grip panels that you can remove some and not make any significant reduction in how strong it is. Still, I'd probably go with the Ti strut, MS cap, and AL or GI guide rod/recoil spring route first. The Trojan comes with a plastic MSH, so that might not be an option to change. R,

If he wants to keep the ICE magwell, he will have to keep the MSH that it comes with as the magwell screws into the MSH...

All you need to lose is .1oz. The new addendum allows for .2 over. That's it but it's pushing it. You can keep everything. All you need to do is take material off the back of your VZ grips and then your golden.

I didnt realize that they were allowing that much leeway... Nice... I agree, thats pushing it. However removing some material from the frame behind the grips and hollowing the back of the grips together would give about .5 to .75 of an ounce. Thats not tooooooo close IMO... :ph34r: