Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first DMG match

Ty Hamby

Had a great day shooting. Still getting up to speed on the rules. I have read the DMG book, however nothing says "Is this legal" like shooting a match. You think you got it figured out, only to stop an go Huh? Oh yeah thats right. I say that a lot.

Everybody worked hard to help each other out. No shade dwellers. I am concerned that poor stage design will have detrimental consequences to your overall score on the day. Stages that have difficult shots will get targets left as the points down with the FTN can be better for your overall score. We had a stage that is 8 shotgun and 9 rifle. Shooting position was awkward and many of the shooters on the squad in front was averaging 150-200 seconds. So when I get there I decided after the first 2 shots in the rifle that I would just move on and take the misses. I did make every attempt at each target. I hit 3 gongs and missed 6 (dont laugh and Ill also tell you they were only at 100yds). I finished it in 96 seconds with 30 points down and 6 FTN's, which was a net gain over trying to neutralize all targets.

If you have a stage that averages 20-30 seconds it will carry little weight verses the other stage averaging 150-200 seconds. These issues will get worked out through changes is stage design or tweaking of the rules.

It was also a long day, 6 stages 25 shooters. Cant imagine what would happen if all the regular pistol shooters showed up?

Looking forward to my next match.

I am not complaing at all. I just wanted to share my experiences.

Edited by Ty Hamby

I am concerned that poor stage design will have detrimental consequences to your overall score on the day. Stages that have difficult shots will get targets left as the points down with the FTN can be better for your overall score. We had a stage that is 8 shotgun and 9 rifle. Shooting position was awkward and many of the shooters on the squad in front was averaging 150-200 seconds. So when I get there I decided after the first 2 shots in the rifle that I would just move on and take the misses. I did make every attempt at each target. I hit 3 gongs and missed 6 (dont laugh and Ill also tell you they were only at 100yds). I finished it in 96 seconds with 30 points down and 6 FTN's, which was a net gain over trying to neutralize all targets.

If you have a stage that averages 20-30 seconds it will carry little weight verses the other stage averaging 150-200 seconds. These issues will get worked out through changes is stage design or tweaking of the rules.

It was also a long day, 6 stages 25 shooters. Cant imagine what would happen if all the regular pistol shooters showed up?

Looking forward to my next match.

I am not complaing at all. I just wanted to share my experiences.

I've shot tactical rifle matches that were like that. It didn't really make any difference in the final standings because the guys that were the fastest on the long stages, were also the fastest on the short stages. It did put the middle of the pack shooters into an interesting situation. They had to decide what was more fun, hitting all the targets or finishing higher.

My local club has a ruleset based on the early provisional DMG rules that we've used for a couple years now. We realized early on that this situation needed addressing, so we doubled the value of the Failure to Neutralize penalty- 10 seconds. This definitely makes you think twice before letting a target go unneutralized.

FTDR

Examples: (Non-inclusive list)

2. Purposely committing a procedural error because

your score will be better even with the penalty

Not saying it was or wasn't, but skipping those targets is clearly against the intent of IDPA IMO.

FTDR

Examples: (Non-inclusive list)

2. Purposely committing a procedural error because

your score will be better even with the penalty

Not saying it was or wasn't, but skipping those targets is clearly against the intent of IDPA IMO.

I dont think he skipped them, he just engaged the 1 or 2 shots and went on, wether the hits were there or not.

The first time I read it, I thought he said he skipped them all together, but after re-reading I understood.

Glad you had a good time at the DMG match. I always felt that that match should only be 5 stages! Way to long of a day up in the foothills.

Some times for the long range stages some matches will put a time limit on them, 3 min. Some guys will shoot and shoot and shoot. Best to do like you did, take a couple of shots and move on to the next target. I should talk, this Sunday at the BARC, I was resting my gas block on a roof peak, took a while to hit the targets. Nest position my toe was out of the shooting area. Six targets, 8 shots, -80 points for that mistake on the stage, least I finished it under the 200 second limit.

See you Sunday Ty.