Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder

CSEMARTIN

I use an old non-functional refrigerator. I put the primers in the freezer section and the powder in the main section. The magnetic gasket will fail in the event of a fire and vent the interior to prevent an explosion. The insulation keeps the interior temp pretty uniform summer and winter (Well here in California anyway) I keep a big can of silica desicant in each compartment just make sure it stays dry. I put a hasp and padlock on it, but made sure the door will still open a couple of inches with the padlock in place.

In a double locked wooden cabinet in my workshop/reloading area, mainly because I've got inquisitive preteens in the house.

Primers are in a firesafe, also double locked.

Loaded ammo has its own separate magazine, also with double locks (what can I say? I'm a cautious guy)..

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on storing powder. I have been storing my powder on a shelf in my reload room, but I've been wondering if I should buy some sort of metal container to store everything.

IMHO only if you have ALOT of powder.

I think I recall something like 50+ pounds according to the NFPA codes.

Otherwise, just keep it away from sparks and open flame. Spreading it out over several locations is probably good advice.

Do not keep it in a tightly sealed , non vented, really sturdy container where it could make some serious compression.

I like the old refridgerator idea, next one I see, that's not full of rotten food...

Travis F.

I like the old refrigerator idea, next one I see, that's not full of rotten food...

Just be sure to get one with a magnetic gasket and not a latch like the old ones. The magnetic gasket models wouldn't let pressure build up in a fire, the older models with a latch could possibly build up enough pressure to be dangerous, in any case, most local governments have laws requiring the removal of refrigerator and freezer latches for child safety reasons.

I have 25 years experience in the appliance industry, probably the biggest obstacle to an old refrigerator is getting rid of the smell, frankly...old refrigerators stink! You might be able to clean it out real good, and then load it down with baking soda to help get rid of the odors.