Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reload training

Wellison

Hey guys,

Tell me how you practice reloading? I don't want to do it with a loaded mag and dummy rounds don't weigh as much as loaded ones do. One problem with using an empty mag is sometimes the feed lips hang on the mag well (S&W M&P9). The other problem is if you rack the slide it's going to stay open. Should I practice in slow motion first and slowly try it faster? I always re-acquire sight picture after the reload.

Today what I tried was with an empty weapon and two mags (I only have two mag carriers) I rack the slide to cock the weapon then insert an empty mag. Holster the weapon. At the signal I draw and dry fire at the target. Then as I reach for the spare mag I drop the empty and rotate the pistol to accept the new mag. I try to move the pistol as little as possible but the faster I go the less successful I am at this. After inserting the new mag I re-acquire sight and dry fire once again. Suggestions? Comments?

-Will

Dummy rounds are better than nothing and they simulate real rounds better than air does. Practice perfection first. Do it slow and perfect and as you progress with that you speed up. You can even start in steps to perfect each step.

I load the mag with real live rounds then put a dummy on the top (last round in the mag, the one on top). almost the same weight, without a live round on top.

When I make a lot of mistakes during reload practice, I slow it way down. I find the the angle of the gun has to perfectly match the mag coming up for it to be "Travis Tomasi" smooth.

Edited by chbrow10

I loaded a few dozen rounds with only a bullet in them for reloading practice. The lack of primer makes them easy to identify as inert, I had marked them with a red ring from a sharpie at first but that wore off quickly. Even with a healthy crimp after a year or so of use the bullets started to fall out of the case with nightly dryfire practice. Now I put a few drops of glue inside the case to hold the bullet in place on my dummy rounds.

I'd start out slow, make sure you are doing all the motions correctly and seeing what you need to. Once that is down go as fast as you can reliably make the reloads. When I dryfire I usually start out about 90% speed, then go full speed for a while, after that push it a bit, and then back down to full speed. I like to try going a little faster than I think I am capable of to build speed and find out if I've gotten to the point where I can do it that quickly.

Hey guys,

Tell me how you practice reloading? I don't want to do it with a loaded mag and dummy rounds don't weigh as much as loaded ones do. One problem with using an empty mag is sometimes the feed lips hang on the mag well (S&W M&P9). The other problem is if you rack the slide it's going to stay open. Should I practice in slow motion first and slowly try it faster? I always re-acquire sight picture after the reload.

Today what I tried was with an empty weapon and two mags (I only have two mag carriers) I rack the slide to cock the weapon then insert an empty mag. Holster the weapon. At the signal I draw and dry fire at the target. Then as I reach for the spare mag I drop the empty and rotate the pistol to accept the new mag. I try to move the pistol as little as possible but the faster I go the less successful I am at this. After inserting the new mag I re-acquire sight and dry fire once again. Suggestions? Comments?

-Will

Dummy rounds don't weigh as much? If your shooting Limited and can get 19 rounds in your mags do the math.At an estimated 5.0 grains of powder a magazine loaded with dummies weighs 95 grains less than a mag filled with the real thing. 95 grains is less than a quarter of ONE ounce! :surprise: A pittance of weight to give up in order to practice with mags that are real close in weight to the real thing. Load up some dummies and include them in your practice!

Pat

Dummy rounds, no primer, easy to spot. Weight is slightly less than a mag with live rounds.

I would not even think to practice reloading with any live rounds in a magazine. That's just foolish if you are doing it in a house. Outside at a range as part of practice, maybe..

Edited by vluc

Hey guys,

Tell me how you practice reloading?

[snip]

-Will

Dummy rounds don't weigh as much? If your shooting Limited and can get 19 rounds in your mags do the math.At an estimated 5.0 grains of powder a magazine loaded with dummies weighs 95 grains less than a mag filled with the real thing. 95 grains is less than a quarter of ONE ounce! :surprise: A pittance of weight to give up in order to practice with mags that are real close in weight to the real thing. Load up some dummies and include them in your practice!

Pat

Pat, the dummy rounds I was speaking of were Snap-Caps. It hadn't occurred to me to load real bullets in an empty case. DOH!! :rolleyes: Thanks for all the suggestions. Tonight I think I'll start with the slide back, empty mag in gun, sights on target and "loaded" mag in belt. I also like the idea of breaking the process down into steps as Steel1212 suggested. One thing I need to look at is getting the correct grip after the reload.

-Will